PDA

View Full Version : Rendering for Blu-Ray

bingjoe
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi,

I have an animation project currently rendered for PAL SD. In order to get the best result, I rendered the original frames with lower field first and all clips at 25 fps ( I didn't want to up/downscale ).

I now want to produce a Blu Ray HD version and am a little confused on which frame rate to use. Output resolution will be 1920 x 1080. My final editing tool - Adobe Premiere - seems to be telling me that Blu Ray is 50 fps but then other web sites seem to say Blu Ray is 24 fps.

I'd rather not have to change my source animation fps (ie. 25 ) if I can get away with it. So:

1. What source fps should I use if I intend outputting to Blu Ray ?

2. Do I need to worry about fields ( eg. lower/upper fields first ) - is there such a things a PAL HD or is HDMI across the board common ?

Any advice appreciated ?

Thanks,

Joe

munky
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Hi Joe,

there is a frame rate table and lots of info here....

http://www.hughsnews.ca/faqs/authoritative-blu-ray-disc-bd-faq/4-physical-logical-and-application-specifications#4.6

reading it, I'd say you will be fine with 25fps. (but I'm no expert on it)

regards

Paul

biliousfrog
04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
24 frames per second, progressive scan (no interlacing). BluRay supports up to 50fps IIRC when using interlacing but there's little point in bothering with interlacing when modern TV's display progressively anyway. Even if you create an interlaced DVD it will be converted to progressive when it's displayed, either by the DVD player or the TV.

Personally I've never rendered with interlacing, it makes any post processing more awkward, just render to normal frames and do any interlacing at the very end. The same goes for pixel aspect, it's usually easier to render to square pixels. I also always render to HD. If I'm 99% sure that the client only needs SD I'll render to 1280x720, it's only slightly bigger than widescreen SD and can be upscaled to 1080p with minimal loss in quality if required.

NinoK
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I have an animation project currently rendered for PAL SD. In order to get the best result, I rendered the original frames with lower field first and all clips at 25 fps ( I didn't want to up/downscale ).

I now want to produce a Blu Ray HD version and am a little confused on which frame rate to use. Output resolution will be 1920 x 1080. My final editing tool - Adobe Premiere - seems to be telling me that Blu Ray is 50 fps but then other web sites seem to say Blu Ray is 24 fps.

I'd rather not have to change my source animation fps (ie. 25 ) if I can get away with it. So:

1. What source fps should I use if I intend outputting to Blu Ray ?

2. Do I need to worry about fields ( eg. lower/upper fields first ) - is there such a things a PAL HD or is HDMI across the board common ?

Any advice appreciated ?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes as the others mentioned, go with 25, no fields/progressive. You will only have to worry about that if at the end when its time to deliver, you are specifically asked for 50i interlaced footage at which point you will probably choose upper fields first when converting as most HD displays are upper-field dominant.

bingjoe
04-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks all.

The pot is simmering as I type.

Joe