PDA

View Full Version : CAD import woes - need help

PokerFace
10-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Iím looking for a relatively painless way of importing 2D AutoCAD dwg. files into Lightwave 7.5.

Iíve just started interning for a traditional model shop for the architectural department. They are giving me the opportunity to make and present some computer rendering in the near future. My problem is getting the Cad files into Lightwave to work with. I read some of the forums on the subject, but my head is spinning from all the different ways that people think are an ok workaround.
The Cad models are 2D dwg. files and are very complex. I have access to AutoCAD at work with basic knowledge of the program. I currently donít have access to Illustrator at the time, but may have found someone in another department with it that will let me use their computer after-hours. I have tried one dfx. import plugin recommended that came up a mess with several different tries. I tried AccuTran 3D that seem to work great, but I canít get Modeler to zoom in past 100m grid. Iíve tried plotting the Cad files as eps. and jpeg. but the image resolution is to low to use them as background references to make a detailed model.

Any knowledge from those who have gone before is greatly appreciated. :D

Mylenium
10-23-2003, 12:24 AM
Well, you could try converting you DWGs to PolyLine/ 3DFace DXFs. This way you could at least get some basic geometry into LW. Everything else quite naturally fails, since LWs DXF importers do not support all entities. The conversion via Illustrator might still be an even better idea, but don't expect miracles - ACAD doesn't export proper Illustrator files and Illustrator will not read every DWG either, so you still have a lot of work to do.

Mylenium

omeone
10-23-2003, 01:58 AM
when you you Accutrans, you should get fairly good results.
The problem with the zoom may be that Modeler is opening the on the outer extremes of its own universe.

try hitting F2 to centre all the data in the universe and you might also have to rescale with shift+h aswell, hope it helps

toby
10-23-2003, 10:38 PM
I once needed a few models made in Acad, I had them export a .3ds file and LW imported it painlessly

PokerFace
10-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks all for the help.
It's working now. It turns out that AccuTrans 3D works great. The centering the objects to origin helped. What turned out to be the main problem was there were a couple of stray points a few hundred Km away for the building ( :p heh).