View Full Version : LightWave 11 Service Pack 1 is released: Discussion Thread

Chuck
04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Announcement is here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127462

Discuss here! :)

JBT27
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Using the links I was sent for my original order, I get an error ... no download.

Julian.

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Well, I get downloads alright...but when I open the new LW and open About LW->Help....it reads, Ver 11.0 Build 2212 (Win64) 17-dec-2011.

What's up with that?

Chuck
04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
If you received your original links for the release version of 11.0 more than 60 days ago, you will need to contact Customer Support to get new email links sent out.

It is also possible that the Content Delivery Network servers have not yet fully propagated this set of files.

I will also report the issue to our IT staff just in case there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi Chuck,

It's exactly 60days since my original purchase, and receival of DL links, today. So maybe I should get in touch with them, yea?

Skonk
04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Got the installers fine here, and the installer it's self shows 11.0.1; just installing now though so will check if the version is right once installed :)

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Well, it might be that then. My files are called LightWave_11_Pre*****.zip

Skonk
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Yeh version is correct after install too :)

Thanks Chuck.

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I suspect they're in the process of uploading the correct files to the server now, because the files I have access to now, is only 4KB big, as opposed to 2-300MB before.

JBT27
04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
16th Feb is my original links email ... if there is a way around the 60 days thing, it might save CS getting inundated ...

Julian.

Hieron
04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
demo version says 2253 too?

deemon
04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Fixed Case 42915: LW11 build 2212 x64 - per object custom GI setting get lost on replace
Fixed Case 44460: Oversampling and sampling pattern blurry render bug

Nothing of these appears to be fixed here. Low-Discrepancy still blurs when used with oversampling, custom GI settings still get lost on replace. Can someone confirm please?

3DGFXStudios
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Not working here either. Why don't the just but them in the download area of the registration system like all the older versions?

Tobian
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
WOW Lightwave 11 is smaller than before.. it's 2 nice 0k files! Maybe my links will work sometimes this week, who can say? :)

paulhart
04-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I am astonished at the convoluted manner to receive my Service Pack 1 for Version 11. I have been a loyal user, early adopter, who again is being twisted in a knot for my enthusiasm for you. I bought C*** right out of the gate..... I then bought the Version 11 as soon as it was available, 2/15/2012. So the announcement of the release and the cutoff date of 60 days slams me, yet again. This is in addition to scrubbing through old email files to find the correct downloads links, which don't work, only accessing a file called "downloads..." Wonderful. I fully agree that this is a "less than ideal" method. Should I cite the other software I own and how easily they make this process. I looked in "My Account," a useless exercise. I will now queue up with others to waste my productive time calling Support. Certainly someone there is bright enough to see that this does not generate good will. Please, I like the program.....
Paul

Tobian
04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Question: Can I just install the demo's over the top of the LW11 install I have, and will that work? as I am not fussed about the content (I assume it will be mostly the same, and I can wait) I just want the bug fixes to the software?!

Seriously though guys the new download system is AWFUL. How many times does it have to be repeated before you change/fix it. The old method used to work MUCH better, just a link to a downloadable file. PLEASE put it back!

Hieron
04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Fixed Case 42915: LW11 build 2212 x64 - per object custom GI setting get lost on replace
Fixed Case 44460: Oversampling and sampling pattern blurry render bug

Nothing of these appears to be fixed here. Low-Discrepancy still blurs when used with oversampling, custom GI settings still get lost on replace. Can someone confirm please?

bug 1 still around: Confirm!
bug 2 still around: Confirm!

?

Just take any object with custom GI settings and replace by null.
And Low Discr. is getting blurred. It actually seems to have more discrepancy even then, if anything.

Bleh..

Skonk
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
The register.newtek.com download system hasn't been properly used since some staffing changes at NT years ago; personally I think the web guy left/was sacked and now no one knows how to add new stuff too it.

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
my links are fine. Files are just ever so slightly different than before in size, so I'm guessing I have the new 11.0.1 release. I'll install later.

Seems odd that they are not putting LW11 in normal Product Registration area, as well as updates etc. Lot's more Customer Service I would think....

Probably working on an entirely new system, this is just interim. Who knows.

Chrusion
04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Somebody confirm if there's anything in the original purchase email that says to SAVE the email for the rest of your life as getting updates such as this one DEPENDS on it!

Me? Nope. I keep my inbox exceptionally clean and have long since discarded the email. So, again, why is LW11 NOT in the normal register.newtek.com location where ALL my OTHER LW products are (v8.0 - 10.1)????

This new shop.newtek.com system needs to have the 'old' system exported to it AND have a menu button added that allows you to get your purchased products SANS email links. Just log in, and boom, at your finger tips. HOW HARD is this to do compared to writing 3D software? Really. This is a customer service no brainer! Please, NT, get on the ball.

And please don't say, "call CS." Why? MY account info is ALREADY active and online. I can login to shop.newtek.com and Wow... that's all I can do. That or why not just do that automated email thing? "Hello LW customer! Click here to get your LW 11 SP 1 package!" Boom. Done and this post wouldn't be here.

Just sayin'.

bobakabob
04-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Seriously though guys the new download system is AWFUL. How many times does it have to be repeated before you change/fix it. The old method used to work MUCH better, just a link to a downloadable file. PLEASE put it back!

Agreed, sorry to say but reading all this is so disappointing. Expecting customers to go looking for old emails or contacting Customer support is absurd. Why are users expected to jump through hoops for something that should require a couple of mouse clicks? What's happened to the old tried and tested download system where everything is stored in one place? Pixologic are a model of simplicity when it comes to upgrades, why can't their approach be applied to our favourite software?

Also no mention as far as I can see about serial numbers and license keys. Do we use the same for the upgrade? :eek:

jeric_synergy
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
I too feel this is a Byzantine way to accomplish an upgrade. :devil:

Fortunately, I am paranoid and backed up my email, even to paper-- but REQUIRING users to maintain info that NewTek could easily keep on their servers is profoundly annoying.

cagey5
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Also no mention as far as I can see about serial numbers and license keys. Do we use the same for the upgrade? :eek:

Yes.

3DGFXStudios
04-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Agreed, sorry to say but reading all this is so disappointing. Expecting customers to go looking for old emails or contacting Customer support is absurd. Why are users expected to jump through hoops for something that should require a couple of mouse clicks? What's happened to the old tried and tested download system where everything is stored in one place? Pixologic are a model of simplicity when it comes to upgrades, why can't their approach be applied to our favourite software?

This is ridiculous. It surprises me that I even still got the mail. Normally I delete these things. I could have. Links don't work anyway...:cursin::cursin:

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
hrrmm, why does every scene I load crash on F9? Never ever happened to me before.

Hieron
04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
hrrmm, why does every scene I load crash on F9? Never ever happened to me before.

hmm the scene where I verified some bugs still existing did render fine on limited region.. you did ofc install to new dir, new configs etc etc? Windows 64 bit?

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Some wires might have gotten crossed somewhere, looking into it. Win7-64

Chuck
04-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Incremental updates in a series always use the same license keys; and maintenance updates issued at no charge have never had a new serial number either.

We did post almost immediately after the announcement of the release of 11.0 that we were working on a service pack and that delivery would be by re-using the links. The links email also cites that the links contained are re-usable unlimited times for up to 60 days, and knowing this was the resource available for getting the files again if needed, the least iota of simple prudence would recommend to any reasonable person keeping it handy for emergencies. We also posted the same files as the trial edition, so you can get the installers and the docs either way that works for you.

No, I am not saying that I think what we have going on now is a good system; and the 3D team is indeed pushing for a system that provides exactly the convenience being requested, and won't rest on the subject until that's in place (or back in place, as the case may be).

Dreamer
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I downloaded the Lightwave 11 from the email I received, but it says it's Lightwave 11.0.0.
Shouldn't it read 11.0.1?

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I downloaded the Lightwave 11 from the email I received, but it says it's Lightwave 11.0.0.

If it doesn't say 11.0.1 when you load the software, then you have a problem.

Dreamer
04-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I went to the link I was sent. Anyone know what's up?

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
yes, just download it, they had to use the same file name.

ednachman
04-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I downloaded the Trial and it worked with my dongle

Skonk
04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Once you extract the zip (which just says 11.0), the installer it's self will read 11.0.1.

RTSchramm
04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Since you need a license key and hardware dongle to unlock the trial version of LW, I can't comprehend WHY I have to go to such lengths to download a service pack. Just put the software on a download page. A moron can figure out how to do this. Newtek needs to get their act together. How hard is it to put the software on a download page like 99.99% of other vendors do.

Also my links from my LW 11 purchase are no longer valid. So I guess I will have to contact customer service to get a new link and password.

On second thought, maybe I'll just wait and see what issues SP1 fixes.

Rich

Skonk
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
The trial version has always been (and still is) the exact same version as the non-trial, so if you dont have your dl links any more just dl it from the trial link.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Where are you seeing an 11.0.0? 11.0 Build 2238 just says 11.0 in the application and in the associated file names.

Dreamer
04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
When I go to Get Info on my Mac for Layout, it reads 11.0.0

Dreamer
04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
This is what I see

Greenlaw
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
My files finished download about an hour ago. I haven't installed SP1 yet but the .zip files do appear to contain installers for 11.0.1 (2253). I purchased the Lightwave 11 upgrade back when the pre-release was announced.

UnCommonGrafx
04-16-2012, 03:14 PM
NewTek,
You are really not helping things with this new system of yours.
Considering you should be aware that many have old info, that will not work in the new system, why not send out {new installation access} with the note Chuck sent out?
Boy, that would have been a good idea, made less calls to customer service and made us all feel happy happy.

As it is, lots more grumpy-arsed lw users, wondering why this continues.

Edit: That within the {} was wrong.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
This is what I see

What do you see on the About box in the application? What's the build number?

Skonk
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
NewTek,
You are really not helping things with this new system of yours.
Considering you should be aware that many have old info, that will not work in the new system, why not send out new keys with the note Chuck sent out?
Boy, that would have been a good idea, made less calls to customer service and made us all feel happy happy.

As it is, lots more grumpy-arsed lw users, wondering why this continues.

What do the keys have to do with any of this though?

We don't need new keys, you just need the installer.

UnCommonGrafx
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
laughing at self...
Thanks for the clarity: yes, what he said.

Not keys, the download; back to our registration page or something akin to it.

Dreamer
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
OK, when I open Layout it says 11.0.1 at the top.

dblincoe
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Why not an in app updater ("check for updates")? Then the app itself updates itself. If we are resorting to just downloading trial versions and plugging in our serial #'s and dongles then this system is set up for security reasons.
At the very least, the previous system (individual download area in our registration file) was working well.

Sorry, I'm sure this is not the place to discuss this any further...please bump it if you must.

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I agree with UnCommonGrafx. What is wrong with having all our downloads and licenses in the one central place (registration), instead of having them scattered around the forum threads??
It made a bit of sense when you were issuing new betas every other day, but not anymore.

Tobian
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Uhm, yes but I will say that when you had builds on the forum, which were accessible, they were easy to get and get too, and they didn't expire. it's STILL a better system than they have now! I liked that system, it at least worked!

mikala
04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Glad I'm a lucky (semi anyway) beggar.
Have LW 11.0.1 2253 running on the old desktop now.

OnlineRender
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
btw on a positive note the LightWave 11.0.1 change Pdf is excellently delivered ,perhaps an amendment on how to install / download maybe needed

Hieron
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
btw on a positive note the LightWave 11.0.1 change Pdf is excellently delivered ,perhaps an amendment on how to install / download maybe needed

Yes it is a very very nice list! (honestly)

Sadly, the 2 bugs on it that we tried verifying, are still broken. So, it's a pretty list that may not be correct? Which makes it less nice...

UnCommonGrafx
04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Hahaha,
On the way to get a tire fixed; want the pdf; so, give the email stuff another go for the pdf.
Ha, it worked!

No, the download for the installer didn't but I went with the demo...

Which begs the question... why have the hoops been made for us? I get the image: bunch of monkeys just pressing the lever. It used to deliver the goods but now... eh.

kopperdrake
04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Exactly 60 days since the original 'NewTek Product Download Links' email I still have.

But...

LightWave_11_0_Install_Win_64.zip - I see Firefox asks me if I want to download a file called 'downloads' which is an "application/octet-stream" and 4k in size.

LightWave_11_0_NewContent.zip - same as above (first time was error and a red cross, now the same as above).

LightWave_11_0_NewContent.zip - same as above.

Needless to say, the 'downloads' file I end up downloading doesn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong?

Tobian
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Yeah they can't amend how to download.. the download path is unique to everyone now. and apparently doesn't seem to work for most of us :(

otherwise, yes, you are correct OR, the new PDF is really nicely done! Beautiful attention to detail, and we are not blaming everyone at NT.. just whoever designed this new download system, which doesn't work properly! Thanks for putting the pressure on for our behalf Chuck, and to all the other staff for, I am sure a great release!

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Can someone try to F9 the Zbikini rigging content scene and tell me if it crashes? Just want to make sure it's not my puter.

Hieron
04-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah they can't amend how to download.. the download path is unique to everyone now. and apparently doesn't seem to work for most of us :(

afaik, just using the demo/trial download works fine and is the current build (use it with your key/dongle ofc). I didn't have to use it btw, but others (also in this thread) did and it worked fine. Same size download too.

However, if that is true I wonder why to use custom links in the first place..

OnlineRender
04-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes it is a very very nice list! (honestly)

Sadly, the 2 bugs on it that we tried verifying, are still broken. So, it's a pretty list that may not be correct? Which makes it less nice...

yeah that's a strange one perhaps they did fix it and forget to add it to the patch ,dont know need NT answer that one ...

sidetracking yeah AutoUpdate would be nice and I believe it will done at some point it would be silly not to "most apps do " although you also have to consider the users who keep off a network

Tobian
04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah I find it baffling too. If the demo is just the full software, with your licence info entered.. why tell people to go to the custom download centre.. which is why I asked if you could do that instead.

RTSchramm
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
The trial version has always been (and still is) the exact same version as the non-trial, so if you dont have your dl links any more just dl it from the trial link.

Thanks for clearing this up. The email that I received had me going in circles. Maybe the email should have said download the trail version instead.

I take it that the trial content includes the scene fixes for SP1?

Rich.

P.S. Sorry, Chuck, for the previous rant, as I am a man of little patience.

Darth Mole
04-16-2012, 04:13 PM
/LW 11.01 email arrives, download fails

/Opens door to forum, sees chairs flying, fists being thrown

/Quietly closes door to forum, backs away

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
oh I'm sorry, it's rude of me to assume everybody has access. =(

GregMalick
04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't understand why more people don't read the entire thread.

I pointed out

the email links didn't work
I called Customer Support
They had me install the Trial Version
The trial gives you the full 11.0.1
It works with your current license key
CS seems to think that we will eventually get links online

And Chuck originally mentioned to use the Trial version.
It's a full version - what's the problem?

Markc
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
As much as I appreciate updates, I will probably wait for the next major build (as I am not experiencing any problems with 11.0).
I have only just finished installing and setting up all my plugins, menus etc.
Don't want to do that all again, and then have SP2 in a couple of weeks.

It would be useful if you could save a preference file which kept all your setup from one version to the next.

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why more people don't read the entire thread.

I pointed out

the email links didn't work
I called Customer Support
They had me install the Trial Version
The trial gives you the full 11.0.1
It works with your current license key
CS seems to think that we will eventually get links online

And Chuck originally mentioned to use the Trial version.
It's a full version - what's the problem?

very true though I was able to download with the email links just fine.

OnlineRender
04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
FibreFx got a lot of love!

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Well....Now I'm excited :) Looking forward to completing the download, from a friend.

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Well....Now I'm excited :) Looking forward to completing the download, from a friend.

Trial download isn't good enough for ya.

drako
04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Everything works fine here now lets see the fixes.....

Cougar12dk
04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
It actually is now... I must've misread the first time I started it. I'll let the install finish and let ya know :)

Tobian
04-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry I am confused. I asked if the trial was a valid way to do the install, but no one confirmed it, then everyone is taking the piss because I am not doing that? HUH I have been reading the thread, and I didn't see Chuck post that?

I already have it btw, I also got the valid download path from a friend, but it doesn't mean that it isn't crap: not everyone has a convenient friend, and users shouldn't be passing those paths round, as they could get themselves in trouble with NT!

Skonk
04-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry I am confused. I asked if the trial was a valid way to do the install, but no one confirmed it, then everyone is taking the piss because I am not doing that? HUH I have been reading the thread, and I didn't see Chuck post that?

I've read every post in this thread and I don't see anyone taking the piss.

Some of us have pointed out that you can update by using the trial installer. but everyone seems to be agreement that the whole thing is a mess.

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
pee?

Chuck
04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
As much as I appreciate updates, I will probably wait for the next major build (as I am not experiencing any problems with 11.0).

It would be useful if you could save a preference file which kept all your setup from one version to the next.

You really are missing a lot if you don't install SP1, and please rest assured, it will be very comfortably more than two weeks to the next service pack or to the 11.x update.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM

That the Trial Edition is using the same installer files is mentioned in the Announcement itself.

Tobian
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
It's disrespectful to imply people can't read or are stupid. No where officially does it say that the demo version is the full version, and it doesn't say you can install it over your current install. I asked for a clarification, I got none (yet, I understand the staff may not know). I didn't want to go down that route, as I didn't want to f*** up my current install, have to uninstall everything, and reinstall it. It's not fun to do.

Tobian
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
That the Trial Edition is using the same installer files is mentioned in the Announcement itself.

Sure it does, but if you can just use the demo, then why the other download path? It implies there's a difference, or the demo is in some way different. If you can just install the demo content over your current LW11 installation, and get the full benefit as if you had went to the 'download path' route, then please say so in clear English in the email/launch page. As it stands that is NOT what you have advised your customers to do.

Sekhar
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM

So why then have the announcement asking us to use the previous links in the email, Chuck? Isn't that confusing everyone? Looks like everything except the new content is on the NT web site, so we could all have just downloaded everything else from there and be done with it.

FYI for me, some of the links in the old email work and some of the links don't. E.g., the 32 bit version downloads, but not the 64 bit (which is what I care about)...or the docs. I get failure on Chrome or a downloads file on Firefox like others have mentioned.

Please look at it from our viewpoint. Really, please. Instead of getting excited about the new release and enjoying the cool changes, here we are bitching about the download issues.

MentalFish
04-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Suggestion, create a folder called download within the lightwave portion of the site and plonk all content in there (no login required): newtek.com/lightwave/download/LightWave_11_0_1_Mac.zip

Or get a seperate filehosting location for all the files with absolutively no login system. You are not selling / protecting the access to download these files, but the license to get LightWave out of "Discovery Mode", which requires a physical dongle anyway, so why bother with passwords against downloading the software? Let it be easy to get to the goodies.

I have said it before and I say it again, get rid of friction and obstacles for your customers. Friction is bad for business.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM
It's disrespectful to imply people can't read or are stupid. No where officially does it say that the demo version is the full version, and it doesn't say you can install it over your current install. I asked for a clarification, I got none (yet, I understand the staff may not know). I didn't want to go down that route, as I didn't want to f*** up my current install, have to uninstall everything, and reinstall it. It's not fun to do.

If that was directed toward my reply just above, please rest assured that no disrespect is intended in mentioning something to you that, from the evidence of your previous communications on this thread, you apparently missed in the official communication, the Announcement Post for the release. In addition, we have for many years now always used the standard installer files for the Trial Edition, and have stated such online on many occasions. Apologies if you felt disrespected.

If you have not taken the opportunity yet to download and check out the LightWave 11 Trial Edition, the Trial is now using the LightWave 11 Service Pack 1 files, and we hope that you will give it a spin now. Instancing, Flocking, Bullet Dynamics, Fracturing, Virtual Studio Tools, FiberFX enhancements and many, many more are available for you to try in LightWave 11 Trial Edition here:

For any long-time LightWave user the procedures for this update should be very familiar: The LightWave 11.0.1 update is provided the same way as all previous ones for many years now. It is a full install and as an incremental update in the v11 series, you can, as you choose, either keep LightWave 11.0 in place and install this to a new folder or you can uninstall LightWave 11 and install this to the default location where you previously had LightWave 11.0 installed.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
So why then have the announcement asking us to use the previous links in the email, Chuck? Isn't that confusing everyone? Looks like everything except the new content is on the NT web site, so we could all have just downloaded everything else from there and be done with it.

FYI for me, some of the links in the old email work and some of the links don't. E.g., the 32 bit version downloads, but not the 64 bit (which is what I care about)...or the docs. I get failure on Chrome or a downloads file on Firefox like others have mentioned.

Please look at it from our viewpoint. Really, please. Instead of getting excited about the new release and enjoying the cool changes, here we are bitching about the download issues.

A procedure and system was established and that has to be used until replaced with something better. And the links allow everything that is updated to be acquired, whereas the Trial files do not. There are both new scenes and updates to existing scenes in the LightWave 11 New Content package.

Customer Support has now been provided links that they can distribute to users who have lost their emails for the links or whose links are not working.

Please rest assured that the 3D team does understand the user point of view on this and is pressing to replace the current and clearly unsatisfactory system with a reasonable and satisfactory means of delivery, and will not rest on the issue until this is the case.

Bill Carey
04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
oh I'm sorry, it's rude of me to assume everybody has access. =(

Tried loading the zbikini scene, same problem. I cheated a little on the install, so I did a fresh install on another machine, same result. I tried a load from scene, left everything selected and it loaded / rendered fine so it's something in the scene itself.

Mr. Wilde
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I bought LW 11 only two weeks ago on disc from an authorized reseller, registered it at reg.newtek.com, but never got any emails containing download links. So I didn't even know that something like a Content Delivery Network existed until now. I upgraded directly from 9 to 11, without being a Hardcore member, I might add. So where would I get the links to the updated content?

I liked the old system, where all download links were located at the registrations website.

jeric_synergy
04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
....... and please rest assured, it will be very comfortably more than two weeks to the next service pack or to the 11.x update.
:D:D:D I bet! :thumbsup:

jasonwestmas
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Tried loading the zbikini scene, same problem. I cheated a little on the install, so I did a fresh install on another machine, same result. I tried a load from scene, left everything selected and it loaded / rendered fine so it's something in the scene itself.

Ahhh, thanks Bill! Glad it's not just me.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I bought LW 11 only two weeks ago on disc from an authorized reseller, registered it at reg.newtek.com, but never got any emails containing download links. So I didn't even know that something like a Content Delivery Network existed until now. I upgraded directly from 9 to 11, without being a Hardcore member, I might add. So where would I get the links to the updated content?

I liked the old system, where all download links were located at the registrations website.

I like the old system, too; and this is a case that the new system clearly doesn't consider. As I mentioned up above though, Customer Services has been given links to provide to the users, so they can get you the content link you need.

Chuck
04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
@All: Messages with nothing constructive to offer to the conversation will be removed from this point forward.

If you are a LightWave 11 registered user and are discussing any issues you are having, that's constructive. If you are not a LightWave 11 registered user, the thread does not need to be cluttered with gratuitous commentary.

OnlineRender
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Suggestion, create a folder called download within the lightwave portion of the site and plonk all content in there (no login required): newtek.com/lightwave/download/LightWave_11_0_1_Mac.zip

Or get a seperate filehosting location for all the files with absolutively no login system. You are not selling / protecting the access to download these files, but the license to get LightWave out of "Discovery Mode", which requires a physical dongle anyway, so why bother with passwords against downloading the software? Let it be easy to get to the goodies.

I have said it before and I say it again, get rid of friction and obstacles for your customers. Friction is bad for business.

I can implement that easy peasy with Lwiki I just need permission I think I have most installer from 9 upwards , but again should mandatory internal be via NT

sami
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Just to confirm - for me it's been exactly 2 months (purchase was 16-Feb-12) and although I didn't immediately find my old email, I logged into the store and found my order and clicked on the download link there and this is what I get. A generic error logo with no message. Eventually the browser tries to download a 4Kb file called "downloads".

Is this the problem that many are speaking of? Do I need to call CS (and wait for timezones and wait on hold long distance) in order to get the SP1? Or is this being resolved and I should wait a few days?

Sorry, but this thread is a bit confusing. Thanks for clearing this up.

http://i.imgur.com/b3Wfc.jpg

devin
04-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Received the release notice to my personal email for the one license that I have not chosen to upgrade yet but did not receive a notice at my work email for the multiple licenses that we did upgrade. Uh...

aidenvfx
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Chuck I am curious why would Newtek not spend the time to just resend out working links to every customer who pre-purchased LW 11? The only reason I can think of is that was either cheaper to have your customer service folks take the phone calls or it was faster to do it this way.

aidenvfx
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Just to confirm - for me it's been exactly 2 months (purchase was 16-Feb-12) and although I didn't immediately find my old email, I logged into the store and found my order and clicked on the download link there and this is what I get. A generic error logo with no message. Eventually the browser tries to download a 4Kb file called "downloads".

Is this the problem that many are speaking of? Do I need to call CS (and wait for timezones and wait on hold long distance) in order to get the SP1? Or is this being resolved and I should wait a few days?

Sorry, but this thread is a bit confusing. Thanks for clearing this up.

http://i.imgur.com/b3Wfc.jpg

I just downloaded the trial version and installed that it worked fine and now running 11.0.1

djwaterman
04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I purchased version 11 just over two weeks ago so I need this right? If so can I just download the trial version and install it over my existing version so that I won't need to reinstall all the different plugins?

sami
04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I just downloaded the trial version and installed that it worked fine and now running 11.0.1

Thanks, but I want the new content and all the files so I might just wait to see if they fix it or call CS when they're open next...

nomad108
04-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Well, my original link was lost in a hard drive failure and it would probably have been no good since it was from January anyhow, so I've contacted CS and am waiting for their reply. In the meantime, I've downloaded the trial version and everything is working fine. Nothing more needs to be said about the new delivery system since others have commented sufficiently and Chuck has stated that it will be fixed. Congratulations to Newtek for this update and for Lightwave 11 itself! I consider it to be a great step forward for Lightwave and hope that each new release will be as fantastic. :thumbsup:

Hieron
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Hmm odd. The links in my e-mail were working yesterday and I installed 11.0.1 at home just fine. Now they are not working anymore.. due to the 60 days expiring exactly since last night? (I purchased LW11 at 16th of feb)

Downloading and installing trial then. I assume my links will start working by themselves when needed again next time.

DrStrik9
04-17-2012, 03:03 AM
I got the release email, and jumped right on it. No problems here. 11.0.1 is up and running. Glad I saved my email. :) Thanks, NT.

Ryste3d
04-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Before I spend the rest of the week trying to figure out how to download and install the 11.0.1 service pack, could someone please confirmed that the non-English characters now works.

Thanks

MarcusM
04-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Just download from: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lightwave-downloads.html

Content is from Lightwave 10 and not working with Google Chrome 18.0.1025.162 m but with Firefox is ok

It's took few minutes and LW 11.0.1 is working with all my setting from LW 11.0.0 , shortcuts and plugins. (It using the same catalog with config)

Thanks NewTek for improve Unity integration!

Phil
04-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Before I spend the rest of the week trying to figure out how to download and install the 11.0.1 service pack, could someone please confirmed that the non-English characters now works.

Thanks

Download the trial, experiment. Job done. It won't take a week, and will probably only take minutes.

The changelog mentions work done on localisation support, so it sounds like it ought to work nicely now. Plugins can be a different source of issues, though - this is the response I got to a bug report reporting that Alt codes were being mangled in scene comments :

'The superscript 2 character is not part of the MacRoman character set. Plugins, which item comments is, are not unicode compatible. To remain compatible with existing plugins, the character encoding for Mac is MacRoman and for Windows is Latin. This is a known limitation.'

biliousfrog
04-17-2012, 06:24 AM
The silly thing is that I could easily post the direct download links here to 11.0.1 and the content so I don't understand why NT haven't. They've got the contact emails of everyone that has bought Lightwave 11, if they're really too paranoid about posting the DL link publically they should just email the links to everyone...it really isn't more than a 2 minute job that any idiot can do. In fact I'll offer to email the DL links to NT so that they can forward to the LW11 user database if that's any help?

Chuck
04-17-2012, 06:29 AM
I purchased version 11 just over two weeks ago so I need this right? If so can I just download the trial version and install it over my existing version so that I won't need to reinstall all the different plugins?

Yes, you need this, and yes, you can download and install either from the links in your links email or from the Trial Edition links.

lardbros
04-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Sorry Chuck... who do I contact if my download files are no longer active? I've found the old email, but it doesn't work anymore.

Downloaded the software from the trial link, and it's lovely to have VPR starting up SOOO fast, even with FFX stuff. All FFX scenes now load nicely too.

Nice update guys! :D

Chuck
04-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Received the release notice to my personal email for the one license that I have not chosen to upgrade yet but did not receive a notice at my work email for the multiple licenses that we did upgrade. Uh...

There have been no marketing communications directly to customers on this, just the public announcements on the forum. Part of the process for the public announcements on the forum was to send out an email from the forum email facility to the members of the Pre-Release/HC forum section. That's the only email that has gone out, and that was an activity of the forum staff as a courtesy notification to Pre-Release purchasers and HardCORE members.

Chuck
04-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Sorry Chuck... who do I contact if my download files are no longer active? I've found the old email, but it doesn't work anymore.

Downloaded the software from the trial link, and it's lovely to have VPR starting up SOOO fast, even with FFX stuff. All FFX scenes now load nicely too.

Nice update guys! :D

Please contact customer support by phone or email. They can provide links for anyone who's email links have expired.

Chuck
04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Chuck I am curious why would Newtek not spend the time to just resend out working links to every customer who pre-purchased LW 11? The only reason I can think of is that was either cheaper to have your customer service folks take the phone calls or it was faster to do it this way.

The 3D Team completed the service pack at a time when the company as a whole is fully involved in the NAB effort. Making the files available by simply replacing the previous files on the Content Delivery Network (where the emailed links source them and which has unlimited bandwidth for any area of the world, with likely fast downloads for everyone) and on the Trial Edition links (our own bandwidth and therefore with some limits, including likely very slow downloads when the height of the rush is on, as was the case with such releases via the registration system) was doable without any involvement from other departments other than simple file copies done at the proper time.

The alternatives would be an indefinite wait to release the Service Pack, and we felt very strongly that it needed to get to LightWave 11 users now and to immediately become the version being provided to all new purchasers of the product.

rcallicotte
04-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks Chuck. It would be nice if all Newtek had this sense of commitment to its customers.

lardbros
04-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Ooh, got another question...

Is the content we originally downloaded for v11 different from the content that will now be downloadable using the original links?

Thanks Chuck... can't wait to give FFX a run for its money... had major issues in the past, but it's seemingly pretty stable so far! :D

Ryste3d
04-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Download the trial, experiment. Job done. It won't take a week, and will probably only take minutes.

The changelog mentions work done on localisation support, so it sounds like it ought to work nicely now. Plugins can be a different source of issues, though - this is the response I got to a bug report reporting that Alt codes were being mangled in scene comments :

'The superscript 2 character is not part of the MacRoman character set. Plugins, which item comments is, are not unicode compatible. To remain compatible with existing plugins, the character encoding for Mac is MacRoman and for Windows is Latin. This is a known limitation.'

OK, the download and installation was fine.

But I still have the same problems with non-English characters...:(

BigHache
04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
The 3D Team completed the service pack at a time when the company as a whole is fully involved in the NAB effort.

OT can we see pics of the booth at NAB after the dust has settled???

Thanks guys. I downloaded the trial yesterday and everything is peaches. I have new renders to do so I'm looking forward to spending time with SP1.

Phil
04-17-2012, 07:57 AM
OK, the download and installation was fine.

But I still have the same problems with non-English characters...:(

Prior to filing a report, some initial suggestions hot from NT themselves :

- move any existing configs out of the way (the location is in the documentation, I think). This is currently advisable with each new LW update, simply because various things change and old configs can cause trouble.

- second, if these are existing assets, the 'damage' in terms of the character support may have been baked in with 11.0. If the fixes for SP1 were as comprehensive as they are believed to be, once you rename the assets/surfaces in SP1, those changes should stick without corruption. To find out, using SP1 only, simply rename one of those corrupted surface names to what it should be. Save the asset, clear the scene and reload. The name should now be what you typed in originally.

If that second step works, you'll probably need to update the various properties that make use of these affected images/objects/surfaces. Do it one step at a time, though, to avoid wasting time in case there are still lurking problems.

If not, fire in a bug report with simple content.

Chuck
04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Ooh, got another question...

Is the content we originally downloaded for v11 different from the content that will now be downloadable using the original links?

Thanks Chuck... can't wait to give FFX a run for its money... had major issues in the past, but it's seemingly pretty stable so far! :D

As noted in the announcement post, only the LightWave_11_0_NewContent.zip file is changed. That's the only content file you would need to download again.

aidenvfx
04-17-2012, 08:12 AM
The 3D Team completed the service pack at a time when the company as a whole is fully involved in the NAB effort. Making the files available by simply replacing the previous files on the Content Delivery Network (where the emailed links source them and which has unlimited bandwidth for any area of the world, with likely fast downloads for everyone) and on the Trial Edition links (our own bandwidth and therefore with some limits, including likely very slow downloads when the height of the rush is on, as was the case with such releases via the registration system) was doable without any involvement from other departments other than simple file copies done at the proper time.

The alternatives would be an indefinite wait to release the Service Pack, and we felt very strongly that it needed to get to LightWave 11 users now and to immediately become the version being provided to all new purchasers of the product.

Thank you for your response and the reasons behind why the process was used.

Chuck
04-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks Chuck. It would be nice if all Newtek had this sense of commitment to its customers.

All of NewTek does; but clearly we have made some choices on the delivery systems that are not working well for the users and so we need to retool, and we will.

Chuck
04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
OT can we see pics of the booth at NAB after the dust has settled???

Thanks guys. I downloaded the trial yesterday and everything is peaches. I have new renders to do so I'm looking forward to spending time with SP1.

We should be seeing booth pics and reports very soon now, and I'll ping some folks just to be sure they know there is interest.

Enjoy SP1! :)

rcallicotte
04-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I understand. I see the same thing where I work as well. Good luck.

All of NewTek does; but clearly we have made some choices on the delivery systems that are not working well for the users and so we need to retool, and we will.

Simon
04-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Seriously, I have to contact customer service to get a new link for LightWave_11_0_NewContent.zip?! What's so secret about it that it can't be put in the announcement or the downloads page?

dblincoe
04-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Seriously, I have to contact customer service to get a new link for LightWave_11_0_NewContent.zip?! What's so secret about it that it can't be put in the announcement or the downloads page?

Nothing secret about. Just the way it is right now. Nothing secret at all, the trial can be downloaded and will work with your dongle and registration info.

dblincoe
04-17-2012, 11:53 AM
You really are missing a lot if you don't install SP1, and please rest assured, it will be very comfortably more than two weeks to the next service pack or to the 11.x update.

Did you actually say 11.x here in the forums? Oh now you are opening a can of...

I do like the sound of a 11.x update though.

Just fix the download method first though.:thumbsup:

Simon
04-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Nothing secret about. Just the way it is right now. Nothing secret at all, the trial can be downloaded and will work with your dongle and registration info.

I have the trial working as the full version with my licence, it was the new content that I can't download. I will wait for customer service to respond to my email.

Ryste3d
04-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Prior to filing a report, some initial suggestions hot from NT themselves :

- move any existing configs out of the way (the location is in the documentation, I think). This is currently advisable with each new LW update, simply because various things change and old configs can cause trouble.

- second, if these are existing assets, the 'damage' in terms of the character support may have been baked in with 11.0. If the fixes for SP1 were as comprehensive as they are believed to be, once you rename the assets/surfaces in SP1, those changes should stick without corruption. To find out, using SP1 only, simply rename one of those corrupted surface names to what it should be. Save the asset, clear the scene and reload. The name should now be what you typed in originally.

If that second step works, you'll probably need to update the various properties that make use of these affected images/objects/surfaces. Do it one step at a time, though, to avoid wasting time in case there are still lurking problems.

If not, fire in a bug report with simple content.

Thank you for your reply, but as I was afraid of, this will take me weeks (month) to complete.

I am using a PC with a Norwegian Windows OS (Vista). The problems is not only the naming in the surface editor, but the hole string of folders on my PC.

Changing my Window OS to English is not an option. (The same goes for renaming all my characters' bone systems and 1000 of textures and models.)

Don't think our clients wants to pay for this extra work.

How do I send a bug report. They need a PC with a non English character OS to test the Scene?

Would attach an image to show a string of folders not being recognized by LW 11.0.1 but the file attachments doesn't work either.

Phil
04-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Changing my Window OS to English is not an option. (The same goes for renaming all my characters' bone systems and 1000 of textures and models.)

Don't think our clients wants to pay for this extra work.

How do I send a bug report. They need a PC with a non English character OS to test the Scene?

Would attach an image to show a string of folders not being recognized by LW 11.0.1 but the file attachments doesn't work either.

Send content and a list of what you have tried (specifically with SP1) to [email protected]

Assuming that the basic tests mentioned earlier pass in SP1, though, if an asset was broken in 11.0, SP1 won't fix it until you repair the naming (as mentioned before) - the information was lost in 11.0 and you'll need to fix up that damage in SP1 before it's retained (assuming SP1 doesn't itself lose this information, which you'll need to check).

If SP1 is losing this information again (when you repair damage by renaming in SP1), that's a valid bug report.

MarcusM
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
When you open Hub -> Options -> Language... with this LightWave should work fine. Shorter language list is available during installation. Other just aren't compatible, yes NT? In past I had some problem with polish letters in catalog name, since that time only english alphabet in naming.

bobakabob
04-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Chuck, the clarification and detailed info on the forum is much appreciated. Lightwave 11 is a fantastic product and the Dev team should be rightfully proud of it. Thanks for the reassurance, dedicated users want the communication to be up there with the software :)

Chuck
04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
After due considerations, Registration will be retained as the delivery method for incremental updates, as in the past. IT is working on getting the 11.0.1 files into place. I will make an announcement when that is complete and ready. Please be patient, it may not be completed today.

Edit:

{
end PatienceRequest
}
{
Registration == LightWave 11.0.1() files live.
Download()
time = "any you are ready"
go
}

Translation:
All three alternatives (registration, LightWave 11 purchase email links, and Trial downloads page) are now available for getting the installers and the docs, and either the email links or registration can be used to get the NewContent file.

Skonk
04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
After due considerations, Registration will be retained as the delivery method for incremental updates, as in the past. IT is working on getting the 11.0.1 files into place. I will make an announcement when that is complete and ready. Please be patient, it may not be completed today.

Edit:

{
end PatienceRequest
}
{
Registration == LightWave 11.0.1() files live.
Download()
time = "any you are ready"
go
}

nice one :)

Tobian
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Superb! Email received. Nice to see you have fixed this. Thanks to all the Newtek staff who helped get this back to what it should be! :)

UnCommonGrafx
04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Witty banter, a fine arsed product and talented people to go with it...

That's what the discussion of 11 ought to be about.

Thank you all at NewTek for putting forth that extra effort.

gerry_g
04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Well I like many others I'm more than happy to be running the demo with Key File, two days ago I updated an old scene full of motion paths in LW11 only to find none of the objects lined up with paths, LW11.0.1 has fixed my problem. Why every one is making such a fuss is beyond me, it was pointed out way back at the beginning of the thread, page one even, what the best solution was yet once again many are trashing NT over what is in every other respect a worthwhile update and to all those who now think they won't bother and just skip this point release you're being plain dumb.

DigitalSorcery8
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Superb! Email received. Nice to see you have fixed this. Thanks to all the Newtek staff who helped get this back to what it should be! :)

Yes, I'm actually quite surprised AND impressed that NT took care of this in relatively quick order. This is NOT typical of "the old Newtek" and it is a welcome change. Now of course this should have been addressed BEFORE posting the update, but I have to say that this move is certainly a step in the right direction and I applaud Newtek for their decision and implementation.

wibly wobly
04-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep, glad to see it under the old faithful registered system as well. So much easier to see what's going on.

Scazzino
04-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Bravo! :bowdown:

Mr. Wilde
04-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Aaaah, wonderful! :thumbsup: :bowdown:

magoo
04-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Downloading from the standard registration system now. A lot more straightforward thanks NT, though I think the servers are straining a little!

sami
04-17-2012, 08:39 PM
After due considerations, Registration will be retained as the delivery method for incremental updates, as in the past. IT is working on getting the 11.0.1 files into place. I will make an announcement when that is complete and ready. Please be patient, it may not be completed today...

It works for me in register.newtek.com. Thanks very much, that is great!

JBT27
04-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Yep ... I just waited ... and now I have them.

Err ... but I just installed over my working install ... it went fine and it appears to work ... or shall I go and smack my head against a wall and reinstall?

Julian.

lardbros
04-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Much appreciated Chuck!! and thanks to you and Newtek IT who have put everything back in the registration system! MUCH NICER!!! :D

masterchief
04-18-2012, 06:52 AM
After due considerations, Registration will be retained as the delivery method for incremental updates, as in the past.

I have been using LW since v7.5 .. registration has been delivery method for all updates and it has worked wonderfully.

Right now, I still have access to all updates from v8 all the way through v11. It is a great system, please continue this practice

William

dblincoe
04-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Ah! Downloading perfectly from the registration system. Happy days are here again!
Thanks Chuck!!!

lardbros
04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
It's also nice to us customers to be able to see, forever, all of the stuff we've paid money for. I think that's why people (us lot) can get a bit funny with downloads that expire or disappear.

Anyway, no moaning anymore... they listened, and it's sorted, so thanks very much!! :D

GandB
04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Glad to see NT is listening to it's customers! Nice work.

Simon
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Good to see it's all back on the registration page, thank you :)

realgray
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Very happy to see Lightwave back in the registration system. Thank you!
(and I hope it stays there:))

IgnusFast
04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Glad I waited before trying to get it - it's MUCH easier to get it through the old Registration site. Nice job, Newtek - some things just aren't broken. :)

robpowers3d
04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Glad to see NT is listening to it's customers! Nice work.

Yes we are listening and really working to improve things for you with registration and purchasing. We are reading every post and things will continue to get better. Thank you guys for understanding.

rcallicotte
04-19-2012, 08:31 AM
I was able to download the 64-bit demo and it installed perfectly to upgrade LW 11. Then, a day later, the Lightwave support informed the links were up in the Newtek site under my Downloads. Great service...

I have the trial working as the full version with my licence, it was the new content that I can't download. I will wait for customer service to respond to my email.

phillydee
04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Just completed my order this morning (@8:00AM PST), and had absolutely no hiccups or problems with either download system. The link on the shop.newtek.com worked as did the registration download page.

I did have to pay via Paypal because my CC transaction wasn't going through--though I believe this has to do more with my Bank issued CCs... either way, ordering was painless and uneventful in a great way, and felt no need to bug the CS department.

Comparing download speeds, for me the Registration download was the faster of the two.... the extra content came in less than 5 minutes. Stoked! Can't wait to get my current project updated to v11!

GandB
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Yes we are listening and really working to improve things for you with registration and purchasing. We are reading every post and things will continue to get better. Thank you guys for understanding.

We appreciate that. I know that those of us that seem like we have nothing good to say about NT or Lightwave, only come off that way because we want things to improve. We sometimes forget that NT is made up of actual people, and seeing negative input day in and day out can be disheartening. I myself am tired of complaining; especially when I haven't really made much lately. Who knows; maybe I'll plop down some cash for an upgrade in the future. :thumbsup:

djwaterman
04-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes, you need this, and yes, you can download and install either from the links in your links email or from the Trial Edition links.

But can I just install over the top of the version I'm running so that plugins remain or do I need to completely re-install?

Skonk
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
But can I just install over the top of the version I'm running so that plugins remain or do I need to completely re-install?

just install it over the top, it will use the existing configs.

Eagle66
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Markc View Post

Sorry, i'am looking for how to Install the SP1 over an existing LW 11.0 Full Version - install only over this existing Version - what about plugins, menus etc. ?
The Readme File has no chapter for LW 11.0 Full Version Users...?

rcallicotte
04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I've done it. No issues. I didn't need to do anything else.

Sorry, i'am looking for how to Install the SP1 over an existing LW 11.0 Full Version - install only over this existing Version - what about plugins, menus etc. ?
The Readme File has no chapter for LW 11.0 Full Version Users...?

Mr. Wilde
04-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I installed LW 11.0.1 over LW11 without uninstalling it first. And now something strange happens: when I start Modeler or Layout, I get a set of error messages.

I'm going to completely re-install to see if the problem remains.

*edit*

Ah nevermind, it's an issue with the Turbulence FD plugin and has nothing to do with the way I installed LW.

jasonwestmas
04-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Why take the risk, just do it the cleanest way. Well the cleanest way would be to wipe your drive. . .don't do that. :D

Greenlaw
04-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I agree. Starting clean is best.

I have to admit I first did a 'write over' with 11.0.1 and I ran into problems too. Fortunately, I keep a current backup of my Lightwave installs and was able to immediately restore it. Then I installed 11.0.1 into its own directly and made clean configs. All is good now and I still have 11.0 to fall back on just in case.

G.

Octo
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
hi guys just upgraded to 11.01 from 10 should i uninstall 10 and remove all config files?
what about my menu layout and shortcuts should i reset everything from scratch? :S

Greenlaw
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I would keep 10.0 and do a separate install for 11.0.1, just in case you need to fall back to an earlier version.

LW 10 and LW 11 use differently named config files so there shouldn't be a conflict, but if you want to keep point versions as well (i.e., 10.0 and 10.1, and 11.0 and 11.0.1) then you need to use the -c command to force each version to point to a unique config folder.

Chuck
04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
LightWave 10 and LightWave 11 have different defaults for the install folders and also make separate file folders in .NewTek/LightWave, respectively 10.0 and 11.0, so there is no issue with putting both on the system using the standard install options. The configs will not be in the same folder, nor the licenses for that matter.

Octo
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the tip

sami
04-25-2012, 04:44 AM
LightWave 10 and LightWave 11 have different defaults for the install folders and also make separate file folders in .NewTek/LightWave, respectively 10.0 and 11.0, so there is no issue with putting both on the system using the standard install options. The configs will not be in the same folder, nor the licenses for that matter.

Just to confirm, from Chuck/Newtek, can you or can you not install LW 11.01 SP1 over LW 11.0 or do you have to uninstall LW 11 first?

BTW, every single patch/update/new version should always have clear explanations on whether you should do this or not all the time and you shouldn't need to run the installer to check - it should be pretty clear before you double-click. I recall being able to install patches over older versions of LW fine. But these recent posts make me wonder before I install.

thanks

JBT27
04-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Just to confirm, from Chuck/Newtek, can you or can you not install LW 11.01 SP1 over LW 11.0 or do you have to uninstall LW 11 first?

BTW, every single patch/update/new version should always have clear explanations on whether you should do this or not all the time and you shouldn't need to run the installer to check - it should be pretty clear before you double-click. I recall being able to install patches over older versions of LW fine. But these recent posts make me wonder before I install.

thanks

I did, and it's working, though I haven't tested everything yet.

It made me nervous however, and I opened a case with CS - [CASE:152845] Overwrite - last week, on the 18th ... no reply yet ...

It's a patch for the same version, and so I reckoned it should be OK - most other programs operate like that, at least the ones I use, but there is this ambiguity with LW and a reluctance for any clarity on the matter. It's a simple yes or no, isn't it??

Julian.

Serling
04-25-2012, 05:40 AM
If you are not a LightWave 11 registered user, the thread does not need to be cluttered with gratuitous commentary.

What if you're an 11 registered user that just wants to engage in gratuitous commentary? :D

(Oooops! I think I just did! :devil:)

cagey5
04-25-2012, 06:06 AM

thanks

Just to pre-empt Chuck's reply. I'm pretty sure Newtek's stance has always been un-install before updating. Usually, (emphasis on usually) installing over the top will work fine, but safest option is always an un-install first, then you can be sure of fresh configs and paths etc.

Phil
04-25-2012, 02:18 PM

thanks

At least one thing to be aware of would be that package scene was replaced by a python script. If you have autoscan plugins enabled, it will pick up both versions (I would guess) and I don't know which one it will decide to use in that case. Filing bugs against it (were there to be any) and then finding out you were using the LScript version might be a big waste of time for all concerned.

alcamm
05-10-2012, 01:30 AM
I had he same problem, and this was causing by TurbulenceFD demo plug in