PDA

View Full Version : Looping Particles - How to?

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 07:52 AM
So it's been quite some time since I needed particles in my animations. I saved out a 120 frame PFX file with a loop frame of 120. I was expecting to be able to pull that in and see it loop at frame 120 and go on forever, but only having memory for 120 frames. The particles just stop at 120. I don't see any more settings to set. What am I missing? Thanks.

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Oliver,
Thanks for the input. You lost me at Normal Cache though :).

I get the fact that the loop doesn't occur until the first particles have died. I understand that fact that the Playback mode should be KEY (however when I set that the particles don't show up at all on any of the keys I've set currently)

What is the use of Dpont's Pointcache Scan? Am I still going to have a PFX file baked from LW, or something else?

Thanks for any more detail you can give me.

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 09:14 AM
ok so I have created a new looping particle.pfx file with DPont's plugin. However it is baked from frame 50 to 100. So when I load it up it starts at frame 50 and ends at 100. I just put the PFX file on a LW dynamics emitter. The KEY playback mode is killing it all! hmm..

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
ok getting closer. I see that my looping cache file starts at frame 50. So when I set a KEY it waits another 50 frames to begin. Looking for the step you mention that keeps that from happening... Still digging in.

geo_n
04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
For simple particle loops set start frame of particle to -60 or higher. Then in etc tab>loop frame, put your last frame in timeline. Ex. first frame is 1 then last frame is 30,60, etc.
0 can't be your first frame because 0,60 frames are the identical.

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 09:54 AM
ok for anyone that needs a more complete and step by step explanation here is what I have working for myself, based on Olivers comments.

1. Create a Dynamics emitter.
2. Set all your settings as you wish them to be.
3. Set a loop frame under the etc tab.
4. set your timeline to start at the negative number of your loop frame. ie. if you set your loop frame to 50, make your timeline start at -50.
5. Set your end frame to however long you wish your loop to happen plus some.
6. CALCULATE your dynamics.
7. Save those dynamics to a file under the FILE tab for the FX_Emitter.
8. Now load up Dponts Particle Scanner under the Properties->Deformation of the particle Emitter.
9. Rest your timeline to read 0 to whatever you wish to loop (you may need to make a preview to see the loop cycle).
10. Set your filename for the new PFX file under Particle Scan and RECREATE a new Particle PFX by pressing start.
11. Set this new particle PFX file to be used on your Emitter. (Load Motion, select new one we just created with Particle Scan)
12. Set playback mode to KEY. Then set a keyframe at everypoint the particles stop showing up.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to use the GraphEditor and Offset Repeat on the keyframes to basically loop the keyframes too. No luck yet.

tcoursey
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks Oliver. Your help got me there. I didn't quite understand everything but was able to gather the "idea" up and make it work. I'm glad what I mentioned above in a step by step was pretty close. It worked for me, but was unsure if it was exactly what you did.

Thanks again! Much help.