PDA

View Full Version : Starting off LW: Question about Plug-in

Maive
10-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Hello,
I am considering LightWave as a possible tool to use for my Senior Thesis Project. But before I immerse myself into the tutorials, I must know: If after designing a human model in LightWave with minor animation, would I be able to run it on a web browser interface using a plug-in while retaining 3D interactivity? For instance, could the model still be viewed in detail (zooms, panning, etc.) using mouse functions while it's on a web browser...?

Hmmm,,,

Julie

hrgiger
10-22-2003, 09:21 PM
You could use Quicktime VR if I"m getting what you're saying.

And that pink text is not too easy on the eyes...

Dodgy
10-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Or there's the VRML exporter? Haven't used it much...

Whit
10-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Another option is to use Lightwave to create 3D scenes and then export them to the Shockwave format. Then use Director to add user interaction.

Neither the price nor the learning curve for Lightwave and Director are trivial. I don't know about your prior knowledge of 3D and Director/scripting so I don't know how appropriate this option is for you.

Director does has some, limited, built-in behaviors. I've put an example of the zoom-in behavior at:

http://www.whitanderson.com/3d/figure

You will need the Shockwave plugin (if you don't have it already it should prompt you to download).

The model is very primitive (i.e. there is no head on the body yet), but gives an idea of what you could expect.

If you get into scripting with Director's scripting language there is much more that you can do.

--Whit

Maive
10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies :) Ok, readibility it is :p

Anyway, exporting into a Shockwave format makes sense. Whit, the link you've provided is definitely what I'm trying to get at. Unfortunately, my knowledge in programming languages is very minimal. I've also worked with Strata 3D before for a course so I am familiar with 3D design & animation. I don't know Director, but I was thinking that I could maybe do the user interaction using Flash..? I'm hoping I could achieve the interactivity using actionscript as that is what I'm most familiar with. I've familiarized myself with various programming languages here and there but again, I'm afraid that my knowledge in scriptwriting is limited only to actionscripting.. :(

Whit
10-23-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't know much about Flash options.

I'm pretty sure that the Shockwave export from Lightwave won't work in Flash. I think there are at least a couple of programs that provide a path to get Lightwave assets to something that can be used in Flash. I don't know what functionality is available if you use that route.

There have been discussions on this site about the topic so you might find more information by searching the forums for information about Flash. I'm sure people have expressed opinions about what works well and what doesn't. I just looked at the Swift 3D site:

http://www.erain.com/

They have examples, but it isn't clear to me if that product will do what you need to do.

--Whit

Maive
10-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Hmm, I did a search, very helpful, thanks! ^^