PDA

View Full Version : Area>>Dome= black render

jeric_synergy
04-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Is there any reason switching an Area Light to a Dome light would result in a black render? It is pointing the correct direction.

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Does it show up as black in VPR too?

jeric_synergy
04-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Yep. I'm restricting myself to only changing the type. :stumped:

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Corrupted scene? (I love it when that happens.) :D

RudySchneider
04-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Well, you can have 2-sided Area lights, but not Dome lights. So, it's possible your light is not facing the object.

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, you can have 2-sided Area lights, but not Dome lights. So, it's possible your light is not facing the object.

I think he said in his OP that the light IS pointing in the correct direction.

RudySchneider
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Ah, yes. Missed that.

Hmmmmm... interesting problem, indeed.

jeric_synergy
04-14-2012, 09:26 PM
I think it's my rookie mistake of thinking a DOME light was like an Area light, just with a different shape, when IIRC a Dome light is more like a Distant light, in that the 'light' comes from infinitely far away, and is blocked by walls.

So, the placement of a Dome light, like a Distant light, has no effect, but the rotation is all. So, w/o messing w/Surfaces, you can't light interiors with Dome lights.

That's my theory for the next ten minutes at least.

Thanks guys!

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I've been experiencing weird things like this in combining Bullet, DP Infinite light, and VPR. VPR goes "dark" (not black), but F9 renders as expected. Weird. Changed to Area light, and all is well. Some of LW11's mojo is still working itself out ... looking forward to the promised SP1.

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
That's my theory for the next ten minutes at least.

Thanks guys!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is "bumping my head" on certain LW features. -- "It's buggy until I understand it." :D

jeric_synergy
04-14-2012, 10:34 PM
"It's buggy until I understand it." :D
Ha! Ain't that the truth.

Sadly, when it actually IS buggy (Luxigons, Mirror Hierarchy, many others) it really slows down the understanding. Buggy, or just poorly designed. Or neglected for years. Many's the time I've thought, "Surely I'm misunderstanding how this is supposed to be used", when in reality, it just didn't work.

Anyway, I'm there for your self-esteem buddy! :beerchug: