PDA

View Full Version : HUB not working

dblincoe
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Hello all. My hub stopped working. It's running but not sending obj to modeler or layout. The button to send to modeler is not showing up in layout and none of the buttons to open layout, send to layout or sync layout is working. I don't have a firewall or virus software running and the processes for the programs are working in the hub. I also tried deleting the configs but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

:help::help:

DrStrik9
04-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Not sure of your situation, except I noticed you are using a Mac. At the beginning of each LW upgrade, I use the Hub at first, but I invariably stow it in a different directory, and use a manual workflow between Modeler and Layout instead. On Mac (in my experience) the Hub causes instability, crashes, frustration, and a rise in my temperature and blood pressure. :) So I don't use it.

On PC, the Hub is a dream. I do wish it worked as well on Mac.

dblincoe
04-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Not sure of your situation, except I noticed you are using a Mac. At the beginning of each LW upgrade, I use the Hub at first, but I invariably stow it in a different directory, and use a manual workflow between Modeler and Layout instead. On Mac (in my experience) the Hub causes instability, crashes, frustration, and a rise in my temperature and blood pressure. :) So I don't use it.

On PC, the Hub is a dream. I do wish it worked as well on Mac.

I've been using mac for the past 6 years along with LW and this is the 1st time it has stopped on me. I just reinstalled LW and all is fine now. Not sure what the problem was. Fingers crossed for bug free hub in the future.

BeeVee
04-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Do you have multiple versions of LightWave installed? If so, you need to make sure you quit the hub before launching a different version, otherwise it tends to get confused with the result you experienced. Usually reinstalling is not necessary (and often won't help), merely deleting the Hub Preferences file will sort things out.

B

dblincoe
04-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I do have multiple versions. I usually have the 32 and 64 bit versions of both installed along with different releases (9.6, 10.1, 11). It has been that way for a long time. I've had trouble and, typically (as you suggested) closing all versions and deleting the hub configs does the trick. However this time that did not work. The only thing I could get to work was reinstalling.
LW11 did crash on me before all of this started, although it didn't start immediately after the crash.

Another LW mystery.

Ma3rk
04-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Hmmm,

Hum HUB suddenly stopped working for me this morning as well. Win7, 84-bit. LW 10.1 Did the "usual" orderly delete config files, but no help.

Only thing semi out of the ordinary was a routine update waiting for me this AM for something Adobe.... Flash I think. Done that update dozens of times over the years and think nothing of it & never had any problem.

I just performed an uninstall/re-install of 10.1 and same issue. Launch either Modeler or Layout and get the error message that HUB has stopped working. Searching for a solution option is futile, close program exits Hub so at least I can limp along that way.

I can't even start HUB on it's own.

I'm sure if this is happening to enough folk it'll catch some attention.

M.

dblincoe
04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Sounds a lot like me, except I could start the hub. It just wouldn't communicate between the two apps. I had to reinstall LW11.

jaf
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I've always wondered why there wasn't an option to close the HUB ASAP after exiting LW. I usually use the x64 version, but sometimes need a 32 bit plugin, and it's so easy to forget to exit the HUB in switching. The lowest value for automatic HUB shutdown is 1 minute.

dblincoe
04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I've always wondered why there wasn't an option to close the HUB ASAP after exiting LW. I usually use the x64 version, but sometimes need a 32 bit plugin, and it's so easy to forget to exit the HUB in switching. The lowest value for automatic HUB shutdown is 1 minute.

good point. Feature request it! I thought there was one, but it is never thru and hour.

I think it happened when I switched from 64bit to 32bit also.

Skonk
04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Theres actually no real reason why the 64bit hub can't work with the 32 bit modeller/layout since they dont directly hook into each other (in the way a DLL file would for example).

They simply talk to each other via tcp/ip (like a client/server application).

sudac20
04-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Stopped for me too (for a couple of days), now its working again?? (Win 7 64)

zapper1998
04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
my hub crashes...

prometheus
04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I had my Hub screwed up some week ago.
clearing configs didnīt work, had to reinstall Lightwave 11 build 2238-64 bit again.

I had installed ozone6 and the issue with the hub crashing started after that, but I can not say for sure if thatīs the cause of it.

I couldnīt start modeler without the hub going "the hub has stopped working" etc..and had to close it, and same for layout, but I could close the hub and continue to work with layout and modeler, but not connection inbetween.

Ma3rk
04-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Same pattern here. There was yet another Flash player update this morning, but that didn't help the HUB situation.

Obviously someones not playing nicely. Only other thing I can think of only other thing I can thing of is having purchased a game that has an online component to it (Steam) even though it's a single player game. I tried simply exiting that but again no change with the HUB problem.

M.

Ma3rk
04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
For what it's worth, I managed to get HUB working again.

Not sure what exactly corrected the problem but I did two things. First, disabled the launching of the On-line game utility thinking that it was interfering with HUB's access somehow although I've no idea how to actually diagnose that. Simply disabling & restarting didn't do the trick though.

2nd, I used a Registry utility to repair & defrag and think that fixed the issue for now.

Your mileage may vary.

M.

prometheus
04-21-2012, 03:13 PM
For what it's worth, I managed to get HUB working again.

Not sure what exactly corrected the problem but I did two things. First, disabled the launching of the On-line game utility thinking that it was interfering with HUB's access somehow although I've no idea how to actually diagnose that. Simply disabling & restarting didn't do the trick though.

2nd, I used a Registry utility to repair & defrag and think that fixed the issue for now.

Your mileage may vary.

M.

I dont play games with computers, only with humans:D
so it must have been something else that screwed me around:D

Michael

gerry_g
04-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Last Flash update cause Photoshop to be thought a document by the Mac finder and all it's Icons disappeared from the HUD and the Dock, this is common for me with Adobe updates of any sort though, nothing is safe until you've done a restart. As for LW Hub crashing or LW hanging when Hub is enabled and all other remedies have drawn a blank is to clear the 'Font Caches', I've heard others recommend this trick and it worked for me last time I had Hub problems.

dblincoe
04-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Last Flash update cause Photoshop to be thought a document by the Mac finder and all it's Icons disappeared from the HUD and the Dock, this is common for me with Adobe updates of any sort though, nothing is safe until you've done a restart. As for LW Hub crashing or LW hanging when Hub is enabled and all other remedies have drawn a blank is to clear the 'Font Caches', I've heard others recommend this trick and it worked for me last time I had Hub problems.

Come to think of it I do remember an adobe update prior to my experience. I usually keep them up to date. How do clear "font caches"?

gerry_g
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I use the built in command from within Suitcase Fusion to do this but you can do a deep cache clean with Snow Leopard/Lion Cache Cleaner, there is a free time limited demo here http://www.northernsoftworks.com/lioncachecleaner.html

or the free utility Onyx will do the same and can be found here http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

dblincoe
04-21-2012, 06:23 PM
I use the built in command from within Suitcase Fusion to do this but you can do a deep cache clean with Snow Leopard/Lion Cache Cleaner, there is a free time limited demo here http://www.northernsoftworks.com/lioncachecleaner.html

or the free utility Onyx will do the same and can be found here http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Thanks! I have Onyx. Didn't realize it was in there.

ivanze
10-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Lightwave 11.0.3 x64: I found that MSVCR90.dll is the file making hub.exe crash. It looks like when other program installs another version of that file, that makes hub.exe crash.

It is inside here:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b 9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_08e61857a83bc251\MSV CR90.dll

I tried reinstalling Lightwave but it didn't work. I did something the other day and fixed the problem but I can't remember now what I did.

zapper1998
11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Lightwave 11.0.3 x64: I found that MSVCR90.dll is the file making hub.exe crash. It looks like when other program installs another version of that file, that makes hub.exe crash.

It is inside here:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b 9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_08e61857a83bc251\MSV CR90.dll

I tried reinstalling Lightwave but it didn't work. I did something the other day and fixed the problem but I can't remember now what I did.

i was hoping you remember what u did..

ksnoad
07-18-2013, 02:30 AM
Well, I just had this too.

I didn't install anything new, but when I started LW 11.03 this morning my hub was crashing. I, like everyone, replaced the .cfg files and still had the crash.

I do however happen to have 11.5 installed in a separate folder using different .cfg files. On launching LW11.5 the hub worked fine. Closed it down, closed down the hub. Re-launched 11.03 and the hub was working again. Magic!!!

Hope this may help somebody somewhere one day ;)

Kev xx

bobakabob
07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I depend on the Hub for my workflow and it's good to know there's a fix if it messes up :)

ksnoad
07-19-2013, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I think the real fix is looking like a reinstall - I just got lucky :)

Kev xx