PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#167 - Ocular Gear

ArtGoblin
04-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge#167 Ocular Gear
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic is: Ocular Gear

Ok... bring on them nerdy bottleneck thick glasses, telescopes, them cool shades which make you look as cool as laurence fisbourne in the matrix, as in Ocular gear :)

Time limit: 60min.
Deadline: Wed. 18th April 2012. 22:00 G.M.T.

XswampyX
04-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Overtime with this one. Didn't have a clear idea on what I was going to do, so I spent a lot of time remodelling the same things.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Goggles1Wired.jpg

Bax33
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
That's a nice model xswampyx (as always). Something tells me the winner of this category is going to be a real spectacle. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

XswampyX
04-15-2012, 07:22 AM
That's a nice model xswampyx (as always). Something tells me the winner of this category is going to be a real spectacle. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

:jester:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Goggles1.jpg

oobievision
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I like it very steam punk.

VictoryX
04-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Aviators, modeling took me 40 minutes. Rendering quite a bit longer. Still couldn't get the really intense reflections on the lenses I wanted but eh.

Color
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Aviators_Color.jpg

Wires
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Aviators_Wire.jpg

Rabbitpenny
04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Beautiful work so far. Great steampunk goggles XSwampyX.

Franklin glasses from the movie, "National Treasure".
Over time limit (one hour 45 minutes).

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/GlassesFranklin001.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/GlassesFranklinMesh001.jpg

oobievision
04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I got a perfect idea for this, just have to find some time. Nice Franklin glasses!

Iain
04-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Great entries guys:thumbsup:
Very impressive!

Iain
04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Way over the time limit :cursin:
I ended up cutting and subdividing until I had a dense, horrible mesh but it still rendered ok.

flakester
04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Another simple one from me - a modern take on a Phoropter optical lens (lens element that slips into a spectacle-like device for eye-testing purposes). 38 mins modeling, with about the same for render setup.

Liking the Franklins, Steampunks and Aviators a lot - cracking render there too Iain, though I see what you mean about dense mesh... been there more than a few times.

Hoping to find time for another one before the deadline.

Cheers all

Amurrell
04-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Thought I would throw another out there. Just an eyepiece for a telescope, but I don't have enough info to add the texturing, and since this is about the modelling....

OnlineRender
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
not exactly on course however its based on a real image that the artist took years to perfect and that used some cool tech , 30 minutes for the full thing include render ...

http://www.lightwiki.net/images/newtek/WaterFinal.png
http://www.lightwiki.net/images/newtek/wireframe.png

Real Image Read more here

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17f15lip3f0wjjpg/original.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5872456/this-mindblowing-photo-of-a-world-map-in-a-water-drop-is-real

ArtGoblin
04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Awesome flow of entries here guys ! and the quality up to speed (pun totally intended) :) keep 'em coming !

Iain
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
That's pretty cool Onlinerender! I'd have focused on a spherically mapped globe inside the drop to match the photo more closely.

OnlineRender
04-17-2012, 01:39 PM
That's pretty cool Onlinerender! I'd have focused on a spherically mapped globe inside the drop to match the photo more closely.

I thought about cheating and adding a map or another model inside the sphere , but atm its just dielectric node with refraction at 1.33 it sort of does simulate it correct however it was 3am maybe tweak it again

JoePoe
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
model: over (haven't even done a strap yet)
texture: way over
fun: just getting started :)

Iain - I hear you. Ended up subdividing half way through, then it just became a bear to handle. Anyway, can't argue with your results! :thumbsup:

oobievision
04-18-2012, 02:28 AM
about 60min, Night Vision Goggles.

MDSPECIFIC
04-18-2012, 05:39 AM
My girlfriend sunglasses.
Modeling 40min, texturing/lightning 30min.

JoePoe
04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
still over, but getting closer.

silviotoledo
04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
7 minutes modeling +VPR render 2 minutes photoshoping :)

Reflexions are LW real. Dieletric. Just moved the environment image to match reflexion. Image is totally fake but based on a real post from OnlineRender :)

It's a STEREO version :) Use your glass please!

Iain
04-20-2012, 04:07 AM
Winner?
New challenge?

A bone?

Where is everybody?.......................8/

:hey:

XswampyX
04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Oooops, my bad. I'll get on it straight away.

ArtGoblin
04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
just woke up.... been working myself todeath the last two days... but I'm on it now :)

OnlineRender
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
7 minutes modeling +VPR render 2 minutes photoshoping :)

Reflexions are LW real. Dieletric. Just moved the environment image to match reflexion. Image is totally fake but based on a real post from OnlineRender :)

It's a STEREO version :) Use your glass please!

mines was faked also ;)

ArtGoblin
04-21-2012, 11:05 AM
XswampyX_01_Goggles:
-disqualified- The mesh has a nice flow and the detailing is very impressive per usual... unfortunate that it went overtime

VictoryX_01_Aviators:
Very efficient modeling and the render proves it ! Very nicely done in just 40minutes !

Rabbitpenny_01_GlassesFranklin:
-disqualified- Highly detailed and precise model ! Very well done...... aaaaand ok... one hour + 45 minutes... should have read that better the first time around soooooo well.... DISQUALIFIED ! ! ! wearing my glasses from now on hehe... still super impressive model :)

Iain_01_specs:
-disqualified- May be a bit dense mesh and you may have gone over the time limit.... but the fact remains that those specs hold their own in that render :)

flakester_01_Phoropters:
such a simple model for such beautifull design and Render ! I want one !

Amurrell_01_eyepiece:
Good and precise mechanical modeling. Suspect this one would hold up in extreeme close-ups with a bit of texturing on :)

OnlineRender_01_Water:
Very cool image and a nice detour from all the usual suspects enties hehe :)

JoePoe_01_eyepatch:
-disqualified- Very nice sub-d modeling... texturing job also awesome... can't help but think that the big front piece could have been done with a much less poligons and some displacement or bump mapping

oobievision_01_nightvision:
Very low-poly mesh but still all the forms are there :) Nice! now I want to dig up my SplinterCell again and play till morning !

MDSPECIFIC_01_Glasses:
Looks like a perfect product shot of a very nice pair of sunglasses

JoePoe_02_glasses:
-disqualified- Cool render, and those look like they are very detailed modeled... would love to see the wireframe as well :)

silviotoledo_01_steriowaterdrop:
-disqualified- Awesome take on this concept.... missing wires unfortunatly..... and 7minutes and such a nice looking illustration?! man you work fast !

Aaaaand the winner is..... MDSPECIFIC for his sweet red shades! The choice was between you and flakester and both models and renders seem like the perfect product shots, but MDSPECIFIC takes the prize solely based on the fact that it's a much more detailed object.... and this is essentially a modeling challenge but still... hard decision.

XswampyX
04-21-2012, 11:21 AM
beautiful work so far. Great steampunk goggles xswampyx.

Franklin glasses from the movie, "national treasure".
Over time limit (one hour 45 minutes).

Erm.... :question:

ArtGoblin
04-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Erm.... :question:

hahahaha.... guess this is a good reminder for me to actually use my glasses when I'm reading on the computerscreen hehehe... will rectify this ASAP :thumbsup:

ArtGoblin
04-21-2012, 01:21 PM
ok... I'v edited the verdict post... for those with a scrolling wheel that only scrolls down... the winner is MDSPECIFIC ! ! ! congrats dude :D

JoePoe
04-21-2012, 01:52 PM
ArtGoblin - you're right about the first one... got away from me.

The spectacles.... not too bad: 3,740 polys, all quads :hey:
Maybe that's a lot, I don't know, I'm kinda winging it here.
For sure could have been done with less, but in these challenges I throw a little caution to the wind. :)

Congrats MDSPECIFIC! :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
04-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Well done MDSPECIFIC! :thumbsup:

The red frames remind me of a pair I got from the 1 shop in Dublin 20-25 years ago. Folded up into a case, I loved 'em. I'm sure your girlfriend would be happy with the pound shop comparison. :D

Rabbitpenny
04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Congratulations, MDSPECIFIC. Beautiful model and render.

XswampyX
04-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Well done MDSPECIFIC.

Sorry to Rabbitpenny, I feel really bad. :cry:

Rabbitpenny
04-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh well. Apparently I had my fifteen minutes of fame. I may be slow, but I always wear my glasses.:):hey: I "see" the irony, ArtGoblin. You didn't wear your glasses to judge an ocular modeling competition. :) By the way nice job on the judging rundown. Really.

ArtGoblin
04-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Oh well. Apparently I had my fifteen minutes of fame. I may be slow, but I always wear my glasses.:):hey: I "see" the irony, ArtGoblin. You didn't wear your glasses to judge an ocular modeling competition. :) By the way nice job on the judging rundown. Really.

hahaha I didn't even see the joke in that one untill you pointed it out hahaha... maybe it means that it wasn't the lack of glasses for me, I may be just a bit thick :D

silviotoledo
04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Congratulations, MDSPECIFIC and others. Lots of nice models. I did nothing. Just a box and a couple of bevel. Here the modeling process reproduced.

MDSPECIFIC
04-22-2012, 04:34 AM
What a twist.
Thank you all!

Ok, my scheduler, wednesday, don't forget. :hey:

@Oedo 808: You lucky guy! I buy this small D&G 6075 present for my lovely life inspiration birthday. :D

Iain
04-22-2012, 04:54 AM
A worthy winner (any of the winners!)
Lots of very good quality models this week!

:thumbsup:

flakester
04-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Congrats MDSpecific - well deserved.
Well done all.