PDA

View Full Version : Editing Lightwave Files?

Grey_Jay
04-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Hello all,

I am working on a scene which involves many objects with lots of surfaces (simple image maps in .PNG format). In stead of going into each surface parameter to assign and reassign the appropriate .PNG (surface), I'm wondering if there is another more "dynamic" method which will allow me to change all parameters at one time. Perhaps, editing the .LWS, .SRF and/or .LWO file in a text editor (reminiscent of editing a XML file for other purposes). Or is there an interface in LW which will allow me to make these change?

I opened the .LWS in TextEdit and edited (what I though were) the appropriate values, but no luck. I also tried opening the .SRF and .LWO in TextEdit, Text Wrangler, and BBEdit, but they remain as illegible code.

Thanks in advance,

Grey

Sensei
04-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Surface information is stored in .lwo, not in .lws. LWO is binary, so you can't easily edit it as LWS.

I have made two plugins helping in what you need:
TrueGroup and SpreadSurface
http://www.trueart.pl

jburford
04-14-2012, 04:03 PM
How about using a Surface Preset, to set all the parameters that you wish including your image/pngs, as a default and then modifying the other settings that you need? Not the best solution, but perhaps helps some.

ahh, sorry, should have read Sensei's post better before replying.