PDA

View Full Version : Tesla C2075 Card vs. Additional CPU

BlueApple
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I have seen mention of Tesla cards in other threads, but some of them are fairly old (2010) and may not be dealing with current realities. Two main questions for those of you willing to share:

We presently have multiple workstations that do network rendering. Will I get more rendering bang for my buck if I invest in multiple Tesla C2075 cards for the existing workstations, or if I buy additional CPUs to add to the network?

Will LW10 specifically benefit from this card?

I am curious about support for other applications as well, but recognize this is not the forum for that. I appreciate any assistance.

zapper1998
04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
LW 10, network rendering, uses the horse power of the CPU.
My small render farm 12 nodes now, CPU and HD, Memory.
The nodes have no video cards or key boards, mouse.
They are all remote via the network..

BlueApple
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
So do these cards only benefit a single machine performing its own render?

Would LW network rendering see no benefit from these cards being installed?

Lightwolf
04-13-2012, 09:56 AM
So do these cards only benefit a single machine performing its own render?
Nope. LW doesn't use them at all. And there's only a few renderers out there that do (and they all come with limitations).

Would LW network rendering see no benefit from these cards being installed?
Not on the network and not locally either. CPU all the way.

Cheers,
Mike

BlueApple
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help.

I have been continuing my research and there is some mention of Silverlight (I think) for 3dsMax being CUDA enabled, which would allow it to benefit from the Tesla card, but I am guessing Silverlight isn't a standalone render tool and probably only works with 3ds Max.

I also saw people lamenting over AfterEffects not utilizing this stuff (GPU rendering) yet either.

It sounds like buying some additional CPUs is the way to go.

Michael & Mike, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this.

-Adam

souzou
04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I also saw people lamenting over AfterEffects not utilizing this stuff (GPU rendering) yet either.

CS6 will apparently utilise it a bit more, though it looks like this will mainly be the new 3d renderer.

https://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2012/04/after-effects-cs6-whats-new-and-changed.html

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/after_effects_cs6_preview/

silviotoledo
04-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Experts says GPU rendering are not that good, unless you're working with a software that uses the GPU concepts in its architecture.

Complex calculations and complex shaders like lightwave has should be rewritten in very small tasks to use the GPU power.

For me this is one software that uses all the power of a GPU for 3d rendering:
OCTANE RENDER www.refractivesoftware.com

BlueApple
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Thank you and obrigado. I think some additional multicore machines may be in our future.