PDA

View Full Version : how to model this

Carlocki
04-13-2012, 03:25 AM
hi guys some suggestion to model this baroque decorations of the photo?

http://www.renderspirit.com/images/2012/04/ref11.jpg

eagleeyed
04-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Amazing detail in the roof, fireplace and mirror. Love this style.

I am not sure how you would easily go about modelling this in LightWave. I feel your best bet would be zBrush in this instance, however then you typically end up with a poly heavy model. It would make getting that detail a lot easier though.

LightWave 11 has GoZ which makes going between zBrush and LW11 one click.

A cheaper alternative would be 3D Coat which should also help you achieve that.

For a LightWave only method though, I am unable to provide an answer.
Good luck. :)

kopperdrake
04-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Someone on here modelled a mirror or picture frame with that kind of detail - they used a photograph as a background and then sub-D'd the entire thing. Problem is I can't remember who did it, but that's how I'd go about it - sub-Ds.

kopperdrake
04-13-2012, 04:26 AM
Here you go:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123359&highlight=picture+frame

biliousfrog
04-13-2012, 04:33 AM
If you're wanting fast and dirty then you could use displacements on the ceiling detail but there's no shortcuts for modelling detail like that unless you use Zbrush or similar. I'll usually just model the details manually, poly by poly, and then fill in the blanks

blugenwitz
04-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Not really hard, just time consuming and boring.

OnlineRender
04-13-2012, 05:40 AM
yeah poly by poly "symmetry will be your friend " either that or cheat and displacement / bump map it " deepends how deep the camera goes if you dont have ZBrush btw new tool set is amazing you can always grab sculptris for free

masterchief
04-13-2012, 06:56 AM
hi guys some suggestion to model this baroque decorations of the photo?

I would start with lwcad and vertibevel plugins. ~peace

kopperdrake
04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Not really hard, just time consuming and boring.

Boring? Nah - a decent set of tracks lined up, switch the mind off and just get going. Same technique that's needed to turn over an allotment patch with a spade :D

Kryslin
04-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Without any other sorts of plugins - bevel & multishift. Do one panel, copy it, resize it, repeat until you get one section of the wall done, then copy, copy, copy. Repeat the process for the odd sections and details.

LWCAD's Engraver tool works wonders with stuff like this.

On the ceiling, I would model the larger details, and bump map/ normal map the lesser.

Snosrap
04-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Generally if you look closely at the details you'll see that there is a distinct repeating pattern in these types of plaster work. Model a portion and use mirror, copy and paste to grow it out. I did that here as well as the picture frame - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=92450 Here is the progression.

silviotoledo
04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
If the render will not show close, just get a hi res image and use the NVIDIA plugin with photoshop to create a NORMAL MAP. Model a basic squared shape and use NORMAL MAP, BUMP MAP and DISPLACEMENT MAP and you will get similar result.

Games does this a lot!

silviotoledo
04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Here I used only an image map at the bump channel applyed to almost a BOX. Of course it has no organic shape, but if you combine with some basic form and also NORMAL MAPS you will get good results.