PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max 2013 gets built-in animation store

alexs3d
04-13-2012, 02:44 AM
thatīs a great idea, would be cool for lightwave :)

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/04/3ds-max-2013-gets-built-in-animation-store/

geo_n
04-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Turbosquid pioneered this with tentacles I think.
3D stock has plummetted its value over the years similar to photostock. I was making 300-500USD a month 3 years ago with lw format being very sellable. Good side gig to fund my plugin purchases and tutorial videos. Now I'm lucky if I sell 50USD a month.
Come on modo guys buy .lwo stuff. :D

dsol
04-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Funnily enough, I suggested something like this in the early days of CORE. I still think it's a great idea - we all benefit from having a healthy third-party ecosystem, and third parties benefit from having a simple integrated sales outlet

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=104368

For those not in Hardcore (or whatever it's called these days), here's the original thread posting I made back in 2009:

The Core plugin store

Core sounds like it'll be a fantastic platform for third party developers and already we've seen some really cool stuff done with these early builds of the SDK. Core is pretty much the only 3D application I can think of to offer such deep access in its SDK to developers and I think this will lead to plugins potentially being developed for it that simply couldn't exist (or work as well) on other platforms.

Of course, development of these plugins is vital. But commercial distribution will of course remain a scary thing for many small developers, which is a shame - as nothing motivates people better than making money!

I think this presents a really interesting opportunity for Newtek and and the Lightwave community (and beyond) to do something something really innovative for third party development and distribution on the new Core platform. Apple's app store has obviously been a colossal success, so much so that virtually every other competitor has been rushing to set up their own equivalent store. What if Newtek could build a plugin store inside Core?

Core already has (via QT) a web browser built in. A secure website, accessible only from within the Core browser, could be set up. By adding some custom hooks to the browser, it could support automatically downloading and install plugins as a seamless integrated experience. What will make it particularly useful for developers is that their plugins can be tied to individual Core licenses and protected by the same licensing/software protection scheme to reduce piracy. And of course, if all the transactions are handled by NT (including credit card payments), it makes it incredibly simple for developers to create and sell their apps/plugins. Just like Apple's app store.

Of course, this should be completely voluntary. Developers (particularly any large existing commercial developers) might already have existing channels for selling their software and this can co-exist alongside it. But I think having a simple, centralised, "official" store would be a massive advantage for Core and would make the third-party market grow explosively.

What do you think?

PS. and of course, by taking a reasonable cut for distribution - NT themselves could make a rather decent amount of cash from this too!

cresshead
04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
in related news...3dsmax subs are going up by 45%, starting feb 2014 to 'bring subs pricing inline with maya'...asking my reseller exactly what i get for the 45% jump...i answered for him...a bigger bill per year.

not that long ago...autodesk wanted everyone on subs and made it pretty darn cheap..ie half the cost of a standard update/upgrade which was Ģ595+vat back then...spin on a couple of years and we had a 27% price increase in subs....and now a couple more years later another 45%...this now brings the cost of subs to just about the same level of the pre subs cost...sneaky little people!

thanks autocash!

erikals
04-18-2012, 11:47 AM
AD sucks... ...money!

Ernest
04-19-2012, 08:32 PM
On the side of that article:
"In two to three years, the only way to use our software will be via the internet," claims CEO Carl Bass

That fast?
It was clear that this was coming, but I thought more like 7-10 years.

erikals
04-19-2012, 08:56 PM
= zero piracy ;]

Ernest
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
= zero piracy ;]

It will be very interesting to see how much their sales rise. It will be the first form of IP ever that becomes unpirateable, so it's sort of a historical first real practical experiment on how much the sales increase without piracy. We can guess, but I don't think anyone has any idea how that will go.

trick
04-20-2012, 03:21 AM
...3dsmax subs are going up by 45%....

Never understood subscription anyway. I've been on subs since its invention and only used 2009 and 2011 ... so I will most probably drop subscription and upgrade or just buy a complete new version each 5-6 years, when people are REALLY excited .... All in all, the ONLY reason I still use Max is VRay ... so once there is another app with a same featured VRay - and it's not Cinema - I'm AD-Less 4Ever ;)