PDA

View Full Version : Vertex weighting not being distributed properly between bones

Serqetry
04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a model for animation. When I try to divide the weighting between the pelvis and thigh bones, it all goes to the thigh bone. I have the points only affected by the two bones, and they are set at 50% for each.

If I start changing the percentages, it starts splitting it, but it's still not correct. At like 10% and 90% it starts getting close, but something else is really wrong because the points aren't being affected equally. The rest of the model has been OK so far... I don't know what is different about this area.

Here are a few screenshots and a video. The video shows that the points are affected only by the thigh bone, even though the points are weighted at 50/50.

Any help would be appreciated.

RebelHill
04-13-2012, 03:43 AM
weights in LW have multiple ways of working depending on the bone settings... if u dont know the ins and outs, it can seem confusing... this'll fill u in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZPdqCmKq8

Serqetry
04-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow, thank you. That video helped a lot. I went and checked "use weight map only" on every bone and now it's working perfectly.

vector
04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
What I always read is "LW doesn´t need apply weighting the most of the times" but I always have to assign WM :(

I'm not sure if it could be the scale of the models+fallof type or what but I need to apply those wm to each bone

erikals
04-16-2012, 06:46 PM
no, not really, what happens if you don't ?

vector
04-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Bones affecting rabbit ears, in instance: Left ones affect right ear. Or they affect the head... sometimes an arm affects part of the head. Not realistic characters, I have to say... very big head, small body... maybe the cause

Vector

erikals
04-17-2012, 05:18 AM
yes, that can happen, one solution can be to spread the rabbit ears before rigging, just like you could spread the fingers before rigging (and legs a bit). this way the animated bones will affect the neighbor bones less...

vector
04-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Ok. Thanks. Sure, because that problem grows exponentially in his fingers. They are thick and very close . In that case fingers weights are needed

Vector