PDA

View Full Version : Dell U2711 or something else?

prometheus
04-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Time to upgrade, since our economics department need a better monitor, they will get my Dell ultrasharp U2410, wich I have been very pleased with, and I also has that monitor at home.

Now since they will get that monitor, I am thinking of getting U2711 as an upgrade.
What do you guys think of that one and is there any equally good monitor at that price range you know of?

JonW
04-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Keep the 2410 to go with the 2711. Stuff them!

A U3011 allows you to be very productive!
(plus a 2410!)

RTSchramm
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Both the Dell 2711 and U3011 has a seriously heavy anti-glare coating that make text difficult to read and also creates a grainy coating on light colored graphics. It is impossible to get a clear white image without seeing a slight bluish tint.

You should look at one of these monitors in person before buying one to ensure that the anti-glare isn't to much for your taste.

Other than the A/G the monitors are well priced for all of the features they provide

Rich

JonW
04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I've got the 2405, 3007 & 3011. They all have anti glare which some may see as heavy but it works very well & I have found the large screens great for highly detailed architectural drawing & text.

The 3011 has a larger colour space & was imposable to get good colour until I got hardware calibration. My work space is also a "grey room" with low lighting which also helps with maintaining good colour. After hardware calibrating the 3011 there was no colour cast.

I still think that my old, sadly long gone, Sony 21" CRT professional monitor was probably the best (last curved screen model, it was better than the flat Sony CRT). It was much better than the 2405 to look at. The 30" screens are similar to the 2405. On the other hand I couldn't live without the large real estate, & I really don't miss the depth of a 21" CRT & it's massive weight. Back breaking stuff!

Andy Meyer
04-19-2012, 10:03 PM
same here, dell 3007 + 3011. the image quality is good. i prefere anti glare over glare screens, dont like to see my face in the mirror the whole day :-)
if dell is not good enought then i recomend NEC, very good for medium price, or the really expensive EIZO.
the 30" screens have 2560*1600 resolution, i love it.

prometheus
04-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Both the Dell 2711 and U3011 has a seriously heavy anti-glare coating that make text difficult to read and also creates a grainy coating on light colored graphics. It is impossible to get a clear white image without seeing a slight bluish tint.

You should look at one of these monitors in person before buying one to ensure that the anti-glare isn't to much for your taste.

Other than the A/G the monitors are well priced for all of the features they provide

Rich

You know, I got the dell u2410 wich I believe has the same type of antiglare coating?

That coating initially got me thinking..hmm some kind of texture over the image when completly white, but now I doesn´t notice that anymore, unless explicity looking for the noise, I do not know if I changed color mode to make them less appearant or something else or If I just got used to it.
And I prefer having antiglare over high glossy surface too..

So if the dell 2711 is just the same in antiglare or 3011, I would go for one of those for sure, I really love the monitor and think it is the best Ivé had.
Reviews here in sweden is mixed about this antiglare issue too, some people doesn´t notice it or get bothered with it, and some just say you cant read the text..but I do not see any issue with reading text on the 2410, so if the coating is the same on the larger models, there should not be any problems.

Thanks everyone for the input, looks like a dell 2711 ..or if I can get approval of the 3011 at work, but that´s almost double the price.

If they look good here at work, I will get one more at home.