PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP hang on shutdown

lucca65
10-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Anybody out there experiencing Windows XP hang ups on shut down. Was just wondering if there were any tips on fixing this, (i.e. disabling a Windows service, etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance

Lucca

Jim_C
10-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Could be a million things, but try killing winrtme either by using the icon in theT3 drawer or ctrl/alt/sel menu. Then try to shutdown.

lucca65
10-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks! Will try and report back!

ScorpioProd
10-23-2003, 12:05 AM
It happens for me under Windows 2000 as well. Defintately killing winrtme prevents it.

Thing is it only happens about 10% of the time for me, so I don't really worry about it.

jdavidbakr
10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
This happens to me every time I shut down Windows (which isn't very often). Killing winrtme is a little tough to remember before you shut the computer down!

Jim_C
10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Not a solution, but I drug a shortcut to Kill Winrtme to the desktop and stuck it next to the start menu.

Helps the memory a little.

JReble
10-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Yeah I did that too, but I've only had the problem myself since upgrading to VT3. It seemed to shut down properly prior to this.

Since this seems to clearly be an issue of winrtme not shutting down properly when you close windows, maybe we could expect Newtek to.....I dunno.....fix it?

Matt Drabick
10-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Probably a hardware conflict. One thing to try . . . pull your Toaster card and reinstall in a different PCI slot if possible. Windows will look for the Toaster drive. May fix your problem.

Have

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC

djlithium
10-31-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
Not a solution, but I drug a shortcut to Kill Winrtme to the desktop and stuck it next to the start menu.

You got a shortcut high on crack??

Come on Jim, you are starting to sound like that guy in that video. ;P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But here is something you can try.

Killing winrtme doesn't always do it. Kill explorer.exe in the task manager. This will bring the system down clean after you reload explorer.exe from the "new task" option. You will notice on your PGM out if you have your T3 connected to an external monitor and it is on at the time, will flash and clear any "gack" in the toastercard or lock ups between it and the driver and the OS itself.

I have only seen this once or twice with a slow or hung shut down plauged system. After doing this a few times it seems to clear things up.

My guess is that WinXP and 2K kind of need to "remember your settings" correctly for shutting down. Works just fine afterwards. this trick also works for correcting several other problems where you don't want to do a reboot. My guess is that the driver set for VT3 needs to be looked a bit closer for possible memory leaks under certain circumstances.

Jim_C
10-31-2003, 07:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jim_C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>You got a shortcut high on crack??

No, actually it was a Roofie.

:cool: