PDA

View Full Version : Character orientation: +Z or -Z?

jeric_synergy
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
When animating vehicles, LightWave makes life a lot easier if they are modeled originally pointing down the +Z axis.

However, a lot of tutorials I've seen for characters model and rig them facing in the -Z direction.

Is this preferable? Or does it just not matter? :stumped:

RebelHill
04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
makes no odds realistically speaking.

jeric_synergy
04-11-2012, 06:35 PM
makes no odds realistically speaking.
Ahhh, good, I 'll start flipping them around then. +Z is always a PITA to me. :thumbsup:

mdharman
04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Was the -z a problem with earlier versions of Lightwave? Seems like back in lw 7 or 8, I couldn't set up an eye rig in -z. When I targeted eye bones to nulls in -z, the eyes would turn around backwards. Anyone remember having this problem in the past?

lino.grandi
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Was the -z a problem with earlier versions of Lightwave? Seems like back in lw 7 or 8, I couldn't set up an eye rig in -z. When I targeted eye bones to nulls in -z, the eyes would turn around backwards. Anyone remember having this problem in the past?

You should orient your model facing the +Z axis so he can easily follow a path or be targeted. Anyway is of course possible to use a Parent Null and make it follow the path or be targeted. Of course in that case you should rotate you model by 180 degrees.