PDA

View Full Version : instance and displacement

vbk!!!
04-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Hello,

I just tried the new instance tool in lightwave.
It works pretty well for shading but I doesn't seems to work for displacement.

I would like to make variation of displacement for each instance.
Do you it's possible and how can I do it.

Thanks for your help.

Vincent

Thomas Leitner
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately itīs not possible to vary displacements (just as bone deformations) for individual instances.
Only transformation, rotation and scale can be different for each instance.

ciao
Thomas

DrStrik9
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately itīs not possible to vary displacements (just as bone deformations) for individual instances.
Only transformation, rotation and scale can be different for each instance.

ciao
Thomas

I found the same thing, but I haven't tried displacement nodes yet.

It may help to clone your object a few times, then displace clones with variety, then instance the group of objects.

prometheus
04-11-2012, 01:14 PM
this would be one of my favourite Innovative Lightwave features along with instancing with endomorph variance.

pretty much a killer to instance several different objects with different displacements, and then not everyone would be unique in displacements, sure with enough groups it might look unique.

1. Innovative Feature of instancing number one - Develop displacements with nodes and a unique cover over the whole instanced group making it a breeze to create unique rocks and stones etc.

2. Innovative Feature of instancing number two - Develop endomorph control with randomness based on a series of endomorphs wich is also can be controlled to set high and low values in between those morph, for example a face could be transformed a few times with morphs moving eyes up and apart, the same with mouth, face shape, nose etc...after instancing this random morph node finds all data of that and can apply all values inbetween on instanced objects and we will have unique faces or figures like an echosystem for figures.

Do not really know what Im talking about from the instancing technology viewpoint, just brainstorming here.

Is there any other software that can pull that off today? (except for vue solid growth system, not exactly the same but unique instancing)

vbk!!!
04-12-2012, 01:20 AM
hmm ...
I think Houdini can handle this.
I would like to create simple crowd behavior ( public in an arena).
I was thinking about lightwave intance too : houdini can be pretty slow when you deal with instance ( I didn't try with the Houdini12).

thanks for your replies.
A new feature request for NT team !!!

++
Vincent