PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate

davo.lwo
04-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Hello

I'm trying to get a better looking chocolate and a more interesting looking rice Crackle effect, but I've hit the wall a bit. if anyone has any advice or comments I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

kopperdrake
04-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I think it's too orange in general, and too much specularity and glossiness. For the crackle, do you have any bump map applied to those, they look quite bright and uniform in colour.

jburford
04-11-2012, 03:09 AM
I really like the look and feel. To me, the color is good looking like a nice milk chocolate. (ok, my internet monitor is not calibrated so . . . . )

Agree the crackle looks too uniform and for me too small, roundish. Would suggest larger crackle and elongated more with bumps not too round balls.

And Go Scooby go!

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
I'd add some SSS to the chocolate. Now it looks a bit like plastic. But you are close to a very nice image.

JoePoe
04-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Lookin' pretty good!

I agree with the comments above: color looks like caramel to me. And sss could be a good idea.

But the main issue for me is the crackle. I don't think it needs to be geometry at all. When u bite or break a piece of chocolate the crackle would shear off flat(ish) with the break. Right now it seems like some white stuff is oozing out. Instead, I'd do it all with surfacing and bump.

Also I think a hint of the crackle just underneath the surface across the whole bar would unify the whole "feel".

Hope you don't mind.... a picture is worth a thousand words....
Took one of the snacks for a spin in Pshop for about 10 min.
This is a quick stab at what I'm getting at.... just my 2 cents.:)

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Lookin' pretty good!

I agree with the comments above: color looks like caramel to me. And sss could be a good idea.

But the main issue for me is the crackle. I don't think it needs to be geometry at all. When u bite or break a piece of chocolate the crackle would shear off flat(ish) with the break. Right now it seems like some white stuff is oozing out. Instead, I'd do it all with surfacing and bump.

Also I think a hint of the crackle just underneath the surface across the whole bar would unify the whole "feel".

That looks a lot better already.

kopperdrake
04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Lookin' pretty good!

That's the chocolate colour I had in mind :)

davo.lwo
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful !
I havent used sss before but I'll check it out and try apply it, JOEPOE thanks for that it looks much better. I've attached a nice reference image I found and also a pic of the original choc.

davo.lwo
04-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys
Is Sigma2 the best node for sss ? I've been having a play around but cant seem to get it working right ? I also attached the scene if anyone wants to have a look at the settings.