PDA

View Full Version : PC Workstation, which one?

luka
03-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Hi I am seriously considering getting a WINTEL PC for LW. After using a mac for 2 years I just can't ignore the performance gap anymore. My skills are maturing now, so I need to get a decent workstation to do some serious LW 3D stuff quicker.

So I would really apreciate if you could give me some directions as to which is the best way to go, P4 3.0 ghz or dual Xeons? I have waded through numorous PC sites to obtain that ultimate PC workstation. But I thought wouldn't it be better to ask you guys as you all use your PC using LW.

So If it aint to much trouble I would really appreciate some workstation set-ups for LW.

cheers:)

pixelmonk
03-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by luka
Hi I am seriously considering getting a WINTEL PC for LW. After using a mac for 2 years I just can't ignore the performance gap anymore. My skills are maturing now, so I need to get a decent workstation to do some serious LW 3D stuff quicker.

So I would really apreciate if you could give me some directions as to which is the best way to go, P4 3.0 ghz or dual Xeons? I have waded through numorous PC sites to obtain that ultimate PC workstation. But I thought wouldn't it be better to ask you guys as you all use your PC using LW.

So If it aint to much trouble I would really appreciate some workstation set-ups for LW.

cheers:)

Build your own. If not... Boxx and Alienware make good workstations. Dual Xeons.. yes.

Epita
03-03-2003, 03:05 PM
depending on ur budget. The more proccessors the merrer, go for as many as you can afford, will need W2K sever eddition to run them though. Alienware make great looking PC's though!

Epita

rabid pitbull
03-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Epita
will need W2K sever eddition to run them though.

wow i thought windows 2k pro could run a dual set up. isn't the server edition like $500-600 ?? :eek:

jbw
03-06-2003, 06:34 AM
I've recently built a new workstation for LW and other general graphics stuff (I do freelance stuff from home) and I'm well chuffed with it. I got everything on 10 months interest free credit and probably saved myself around 400 compared to buying from Dell/Armari etc. I would recommend having a go at building your own but bear in mind alot of the stuff can come OEM i.e. my cpu appeared without box in a little plastic case so I had to order a heatsink to go with. I'm running the following:

Chieftec Scorpio Black Case
Asus P4PE
2.4ghz P4 - coolermaster heatsink
1024MB RAM
Quadro 750 XGL :)
60gb IBM
80gb IBM
diamond modem
cdwriter and drive
floppy drive
Iiyama as4637 bk :D

Win 2k pro will work with up to 2 cpus whilst server edition does up to 4 or 8??? Suppose you've gotta get a board that'll fit 4 or 8 chips though and that'll cost!

Ta,
jbw

tubal_c
03-06-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm a Powermac G4 users. I notice the performance issues with Mac and LW also. So I just bought a HP wx6000. I got the base model.
I have plans on adding the second CPU and 1gig RAM.
Heres a link to what i order
http://www.hp.com/workstations/ia32/xw6000/index.html

Lynx3d
03-06-2003, 08:52 AM
will need W2K sever eddition to run them though.

No, who told ya that sh....?
Win2k Pro and XP Pro support two CPUs (i'm running a dual Athlon with 2k Pro), however for Xeons with Hyper-Threading you need XP Pro, because 2k will treat the logical CPUs as physical and therefore sees 4 real CPUs, which it doesn't support.

Before you get a 3,06GHz P4 check out if a dual Xeon 2,4 or 2,6 doesn't give you a better price/performance ratio.

The single 3,06GHz P4 will give give you faster viewports, but as soon as you hit F9 you are much happier with a dual Xeon :D So depends on what you do...much rendering or much viewport work/ other single threaded applications.
If money is no issue then of course a dual Xeon 3,06 is fastest.

bradl
03-09-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
Win2k Pro and XP Pro support two CPUs (i'm running a dual Athlon with 2k Pro), however for Xeons with Hyper-Threading you need XP Pro, because 2k will treat the logical CPUs as physical and therefore sees 4 real CPUs, which it doesn't support.Have not heard this? Please explain further...

I have dual 2.2 Xeon running 2k Pro. I mostly run LW, Toaster, Aura and Photoshop. Am I missing any performance here?

Thanks

jbw
03-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Lynx pretty much summed it up - Win 2k will interpret two hyper-threaded cpus as 4 but as it is only able to use a maximum of 2 processors hyper threading won't work. If your Xeon cpus support hyper threading then you need to be running XP pro to take advantage of this feature. I'm not sure about toaster or Aura but both Photoshop and LW will gain from this, how much I'm not sure but I don't think it's a great deal.
Just out of interest would win 2k take advantage of a single hyper-threaded enabled CPU? Or does onlt win XP pro understand it?

LSlugger
03-14-2003, 08:40 PM
jwb: Windows 2000 should handle hyper threading. See this article (http://anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1746) at AnandTech.

jbw
03-17-2003, 03:28 AM
LSlugger - quote from HT article at AnandTech...

Operating System support for Hyper-Threading is necessary but it currently exists in two different forms. Windows 2000 Professional supports multiple processors but it does not properly support Hyper-Threading. This means that it will see a single HT enabled Pentium 4 as two CPUs, but the OS will think that it is running on two physical CPUs instead of one physical CPU split into two logical CPUs. Why is this a problem?

With a single Pentium 4 processor this isn't much of an issue, but things get much more complicated with multiprocessor Xeons with HT enabled under Windows 2000 Professional or Server. Windows 2000 Professional only supports a maximum of two processors, and 2000 Server supports a max of 4 processors. With two HT enabled CPUs under Windows 2000 Professional, enabling HT will not make a difference as the OS will only work with a maximum of two CPUs. Similarly, a quad HT system under Windows 2000 Server would appear to the OS as an 8 processor system and thus exceed its licensing limitations giving you the use of only 4 of the CPUs.

Luckily Windows XP was designed with Hyper-Threading support in mind and thus even Home Edition will support a single CPU with HT enabled. Keep in mind that Windows XP Home does not support multiple physical processors, but if you enable HT on a Pentium 4 XP Home will recognize it as two CPUs.

Lynx3d
03-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Ah yes perfect, that's what i was trying to say, but didn't find the exact paragraph :)

Hm if this forum had user rankings you'd get a "good user" from me :D

OFF
03-18-2003, 12:15 PM
XP is more faster even 2000 (in rendering):rolleyes:

Epita
03-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah, i meant for more than 2 CPU's go for Server. tho hands up who has that many CPU's at home!

Off - great english!

Epita