PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Channel Audio output at the SDI output

bbailey
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I was really hoping that using the SDI output of either of my Tricasters, a Broadcast and an XD300, that the output would reflect multi channels of audio if more than 2 channels were being used. I updated my firmware on my AJA KI PRO to version 3, giving me 8 channel audio support on the SDI input. I tried a test yesterday by recording simultaneously on the Tricaster and into my KI PRO using the SDI interface, a 3 channel audio file. I expected to be able to open the file in Final cut and have 3 recorded audio channels. In fact, I had all 8 audio channel displayed. However, it became obvious that the SDI audio from the tricaster was only a 2 channel output to SDI and, for some reason, another 2 channel output of the same mix recorded on channels 3 and 4. I understand why that is the case, now.

I wonder if there might be a generic way for all Tricasters to have a selection capability to select either the discrete audio channels out to SDI OR the 2 channel mixed audio out in a future software release?

bbailey
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Ya see, If we can record with the SDI out, multi-channel audio, when needed, we will be able to record with the Tricaster AND do a record backup maintaining the multi-channel discrete audio with the backup, which is exactly what I currently do with only a two audio channel backup.

SBowie
04-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Channels 3 and 4 should be discrete, barring either a bug or some configuration that produces a mirroring of the first two channels.