PDA

View Full Version : Creative scent?

tickle
10-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Phugh!

Finally another piece to my gallery!

About 30 hours later and many lessons learned I was able to finish this piece.

My first battles with glass surfaces.

I used what I learned from an tutorial in the 3D world magazine
(issue 43). Gradinats in the diffuse, reflection and transpareny channels, glass and air polys etc.

I would like to have the actual parfume fluid more colorful and clear but it gets dull by all the transparency and shadows.

But, I'm happy with my first try.

What do you think?

renderingfarmer
10-22-2003, 07:32 PM
I think you did a great job modeling it. Two things spring to my mind:
You might want to play with the lighting a bit, the way it is set up right now makes it look very CG.
Also, I'm not familiar with the more extravagant perfume bottles but I'm having trouble understanding what that green stuff is inside... Care to explain?

Great work, keep at it.

riki
10-22-2003, 08:32 PM
what's the green stuff in the bottle?

tickle
10-23-2003, 12:42 AM
About the green stuff,

The actual design is a solid glass bottle (blue glass) with the exception of three "bubbles" which contain the actual perfume liquid (yellowish liquid).

As I mentioned in my first post the liquid gets misscolored by the shadows. I'll give it a try to render it in layers. Any other ideas?

I know that this is not actually the everyday way to make a bottle.
And maybe it is hard to get it if I can't get that liquid more "liquidish" :).

renderingfarmer
10-23-2003, 10:20 AM
oooh I get it. Sorry I don't know how you could improve it though. Do you think you could do a quick Quicktime VR spin around the bottle for us? I'd love to see the shape of those bubbles a little more clearly.

Carbon71
10-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Nice design (on box and bottle)! and a good job modelling.

What is your lighting setup?

Some crits:
-They look "floaty". Anchor them to the ground with better shadows. You could use some radiosity to give the (small but noticable) dark shadows that should occur between the box/bottle and the ground.
-The cast shadow is wierd. It should be sharper closer to the bottle and fade and get blurry as it recedes away. What light did you use?
-You need some highlights off that glass to give it more life. The image is a little flat because of the lack of contrast range. There should be almost white and almost black in every image. Put some lights in that effect nothing but specularity.
-Is there a micro bump map on the bottle. Whatever it is makes the bottle look a little aliased instead. Turn your AA up all around
-Caustics. You ought to turn on caustic or fake it. That bottle would certainly reflect (and refract) some light onto the ground.

You have a great design and model. You just need to improve the lighting, to really show it off!

Carbon

tickle
10-25-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the reponse!

I'll take your advice into practice next week since I'm out of town at the moment.

I'll be back!

tickle
10-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone!

Here is the update.

I'm still not really a friend with the shadows.
Guess I'll fix them in photoshop.

But this is how far I'll go in this project.

Hope u will enjoy it! Quite different from the first picture, right?