PDA

View Full Version : uv map

netstile123
04-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I am trying something new and looking at making texture maps in lightwave 11. When I select to create a uv texture map, Cylidrical, and subpatch. It seems to have just points on the map shown but there is also another object over the top of the map that looks to be a side view of my object. What am I doing wrong ?

ShadowMystic
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Saying Lightwave's native UV tools aren't the best is an understatement. For this object in particular, you don't have any really easy way for the automatic unwrap to work on.

netstile123
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
If that is the case and I have to much geometry,, Is there a way to manual unrap? I have tried selecting sections of the model. And still shows in the map area just points ? With the floating selection again.

DrStrik9
04-09-2012, 08:27 PM
I've had that point thing happen before - it might have something to do with your monitor card?

I finally gave up on LW's UV tools, except on the simplest objects, and now use UVLayout, which is sweeeet. Your nice flower model, terribly difficult in LW for UV generation, would be a piece of cake in UVLayout.

http://www.uvlayout.com/

netstile123
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I will check that out. Thank you.........Well I confused with modeler uv mapping... I am 100% lost trying this in layout. Has anyone have a video on how this works?

ShadowMystic
04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't have the model so its hard to say.However, I would suggest an equatorial loop along the petals and base to definitively divide top and bottom. Or you can use this, which I do. You can use both as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHKjCD3xTTU
Its a very useful FREE UV plugin

K-Dawg
04-10-2012, 02:49 AM
@ netstile123

what type of Subpatches are you using? Stadard Subpatches or Catmull-Clark?

Interpolated (Subpatched) UVs don't work with CC Subpatches, only with standard. Kind of a shame.

And about PLG UVs. I use them all the time and I know many Artists who do this professionally with LW use that too. Way better than spending 200-300 bucks on a UV tool when the Plugin is sufficient. Also, you can still download Blender 2.49 and simply import your .lwo in Blender, unwrap and export as .lwo again for no costs.

Greetz

MUCUS
04-10-2012, 03:17 AM
You have to map it in planar mode, on the Y axis. But if your future map is a petal, then you have to unwrap one petal before cloning it :)

I never unwrap in subpatch, I prefer do this with polygons, and then switch to subpatch (F8 open a window which will allow you to choose the interpolation method of your map)

erikals
04-10-2012, 05:46 AM
PLG, also see....
http://youtu.be/CbPTQ5mopuQ
http://youtu.be/E35qOmRBf-c
 

GraphXs
04-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Yes, unwrap one petal, Y planer, and not in Sub patch mode. LW unwrap tools are not perfect and have some odd things to deal with. If u learn them u can unwrap fine in Lw. Learn unweld and use that in your Uv pipeline. You will also use merge a lot as well. Also get the plg tools. They are great for organic modeling. For you subpatch models don't forget to use the vextex panel so you can maintain a sub d mode for your uvs.

geo_n
04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
You should check out 3dcoat. Its super easy to uvmap and paint directly on 3dmodels.
If you want to do this in lw its better to cut the top part then planar map it then do the bottom part and then arrange the two parts in the uv space and weld points of the model again.
PLG is a pain to use with edge selection but its the only way to do proper unwrapping for some objects. 3dcoat is the perfect PLG workflow and then some.

netstile123
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
The Flower was an example of what I wanted to practice on. I tried my flower as another object to see if I would get the same results.

This is the model I am working on. Probe ship. It is catmull clark. And I am getting the same floating object when I try to map it.

There was a note about working this in layout with a better result. Would anyone have a set of steps for this to get me started?

DrStrik9
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
A note? About creating UV maps in Layout? I know of nothing like that. As far as I know, UV maps are either done in Modeler, with the help of various Modeler plug-ins, or a 3rd-party app. (My fave is a stand-alone program called UVLayout.) I hope you didn't think I was telling you to make UV's in LW Layout. :D

LW 10.1 docs, page 305 of the Layout Manual: "UV maps are created in Modeler." ... They belong to the object, so it makes sense.

:)

netstile123
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
A note? About creating UV maps in Layout? I know of nothing like that. As far as I know, UV maps are either done in Modeler, with the help of various Modeler plug-ins, or a 3rd-party app. (My fave is a stand-alone program called UVLayout.) I hope you didn't think I was telling you to make UV's in LW Layout. :D

LW 10.1 docs, page 305 of the Layout Manual: "UV maps are created in Modeler." ... They belong to the object, so it makes sense.

:)

I Understand. Thanks.

nomad108
04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
As a note, if you want to remap a UV on an object that already has a UV map, use CLEAR MAP first. Failure to do so often causes the problem you're describing for me.

Thomas Leitner
04-11-2012, 02:23 AM
....This is the model I am working on. Probe ship. It is catmull clark. And I am getting the same floating object when I try to map it...

hi, as Kevin said: UV subpatch interpolation doesn´t work with Catmull Clark. You have to use "standard" SubD-Type Subpatch (you can only use triangles and quadrangles).

...Interpolated (Subpatched) UVs don't work with CC Subpatches, only with standard. Kind of a shame.

ciao
Thomas