PDA

View Full Version : Marquee selection in Modeler? Bueller? Bueller?

Serling
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Working on a golf open for our sports department (top secret stuff, it is) and dealing with a huge range in size of objects: everything from a golf ball to a putting green. Here's the issue I'm having: I have this huge surface and I want to select a very precise section of it and the lasso select (RMB) native to LightWave is just not working for me (must be getting old...shaky hands.)

Is there a marquee selection tool in Modeler somewhere or even a good plugin that does this?

Can Modeler get some much needed love in the next release?

Bueller? Bueller?

UnCommonGrafx
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Ctl-j.
That work?

Serling
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah...found out about Volume Selection after I posted this thread. Would be nice if it worked the way any other app's marquee tool worked. Never needed a help file to do marquee selection in Photoshop.

C'est la vie.

prometheus
04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
One of those old request never looked into unfortunatly and one that helps a lot in workflow.

simple marquee select please..

biliousfrog
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
I use grow and shrink selection a lot ( [ & ] ), they're great for getting certain areas because you can select a small area, grow it then clean up

prometheus
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
using a pen tablet and lasso tool is probably easier than selecting two or more unconnected geometry with a mouse, just think about it... draw steady a lasso around your specific area for selection and it will be slower and you might even draw faulty area and miss with the lasso tool.

It would be so much easier and faster if we could have the darn select marquee option, I would suggest to adapt it to the middle mouse button, we actually got a similar tool...in layout.
Im a little confused that this seemingly most simple and common selection type for many apps, isnīt available in Lightwave after all these years.

The volume select isnīt the same thing, and you wonīt get your polys highlighted.

select expand and contract works for some things, but not for unconnected parts.

would be nice to implement the select connected with a double click too.

Serling
04-12-2012, 03:00 AM
using a pen tablet and lasso tool is probably easier than selecting two or more unconnected geometry with a mouse, just think about it... draw steady a lasso around your specific area for selection and it will be slower and you might even draw faulty area and miss with the lasso tool.

It would be so much easier and faster if we could have the darn select marquee option, I would suggest to adapt it to the middle mouse button, we actually got a similar tool...in layout.
Im a little confused that this seemingly most simple and common selection type for many apps, isnīt available in Lightwave after all these years.

The volume select isnīt the same thing, and you wonīt get your polys highlighted.

select expand and contract works for some things, but not for unconnected parts.

would be nice to implement the select connected with a double click too.

:agree:

Marquee select would select all the way through the mesh of a given axis in wireframe mode, but only those points/edges/polys visible to the camera in texture/shaded mode.

Layout has gotten all the love lately. Time for Modeler to get some attention. :thumbsup:

JonW
04-12-2012, 03:05 AM
A 30' screen or even two, for working on large architectural drawings/objects makes life a lot easier.