PDA

View Full Version : Why does my render look awful? :(

Philly85
04-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Hey guys me again :D

Excuse the shortness of this clip you might have to play it a few times to see what I mean, it was going to take 7 hours to render so just did 10 frames, what is with all the crap colour?

The sky colour is weird and the explosion colour etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnIRTigWaUY

JonW
04-08-2012, 07:06 AM
It would be easier if you posted the scene. If I could render a whole sequence in 7 hours I would be vey happy. My longest is a few weeks on the render farm for 60 seconds. Or longest single image is 60 hours.

Have a look at this benchmark scene, there maybe some settings that can help.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=105742

UnCommonGrafx
04-08-2012, 08:31 AM
That's a night of sleep.
Render it out, see the totality of what you are rendering and share that as the thing that needs to be fixed.

As it is, you might as well provide a still.

No idea on your problem as I have no idea how to begin to help.

erikals
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
render out as a quicktime mp4 movie, see if it solves it...

nickdigital
04-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I would suggest rendering out passes too. This way you're not doing a full beauty render each time. You could isolate the sky as a pass and figure out the problem without waiting for all the other elements to render.

BeeVee
04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I'll bet the problem is that you chose AVI but then didn't choose a codec so it's using the default Microsoft codec from something like 91 that only supports 256 colours.

B

erikals
04-08-2012, 01:29 PM
yeah, i think so too...

zardoz
04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
if you want to improve the quality of your animations you will have to start rendering to some image format like .exr or .tiff and then use some post app to edit the sequence like After effects. Only then export to .avi (or other movie format like .mov) and play with the compression options of each codec to see which one is better for your work.

prometheus
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
If you intend to do serious animation work, just get yourself a compositing program like after effects.

Render out to TGA 32 is what I use to do, unless creating vpr previews when I sometimes use uncompressed AVI.

TGA 32 keeps alpha channel embedded so you can for instance render smoke and fire simulations with hypervoxels or turbulenceFD fluids and then load to after effects as straigh unmatted clips, works like a charm to composite over images.

ben martin
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
PNG also does that but yeah, TGA32 is good! :agree:

jeric_synergy
04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I think we should drive a stake through TGA's heart, and promote PNG as much as possible.

Otherwise: 7 hours rendering is what sleep time is for.

ben martin
04-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I think we should drive a stake through TGA's heart, and promote PNG as much as possible.

PNG is my favorite, no doubts, but before choose it, TGA also saved my day for many times as well.
On other side of the fence, OpenEXR is great... and, well, yes also great as in a huge storage space devourer!
Many advantages, some disavantages, so I keep using PNG at any day to any project.

zardoz
04-09-2012, 03:51 PM
well to be honest, once you start using exr you won't go back. The amount of info you can get from a exr file gives you so much freedom...

shrox
04-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Otherwise: 7 hours rendering is what sleep time is for.
PNG is my favorite, no doubts, but before choose it, TGA also saved my day for many times as well.
On other side of the fence, OpenEXR is great... and, well, yes also great as in a huge storage space devourer!
Many advantages, some disavantages, so I keep using PNG at any day to any project.

I don't like change...

Greenlaw
04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
well to be honest, once you start using exr you won't go back. The amount of info you can get from a exr file gives you so much freedom...
Yes, seriously, .exr. You get floating point data and all the channels you can eat in a single file. I use .png for most textures though.

G.