PDA

View Full Version : Instancing color difference

sublimationman
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
So I just made some petri dishes using instancing and everything went fine until I rendered. In the fist image below is the way it rendered and the second one is how it looks in VPR. In VPR it looks correct but the instances are darker than they should be.

I am not using nodes on these but the standard surface editor. The surfaces are somewhat transparent. The top has an image map and alpha applied to it.

JamesCurtis
04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe colorspace setting?

Sensei
04-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Quick solution- deactivate reference in GE, so it won't be seen by camera, and all instances will have equal color.

sublimationman
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Changed all the colorspace settings with no help.

--deactivate reference in GE

Not sure what this is, not sure what GE stands for?!? Is this a way to make the original not seen? can you elaborate on where this setting is?

Thanks!

Sensei
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
GE = Graph Editor...

But I meant Scene Editor, sorry.

Activation flag on left side of item.

Sensei
04-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Theory: VPR is using less bounces in Draft mode (or always?) than it's set in Render Globals, so if ray is casted from transparent surface, and sooner it'll be cut off, it won't have full color as with regular number of bounces.

OTOH, reference should suffer the same bouncing issue as instances..

Maybe instance occupy the same space as reference, and they overlap?

sublimationman
04-08-2012, 12:41 AM
--Maybe instance occupy the same space as reference, and they overlap?

Nope.

----

Scene editor. OK, glad I know what you mean now. It's a workaround but the colors are not true to the original, there must be something else I am missing.

When I get some time (next few days) I'll upload the scene fill to see if anyone can figure it out.

Carm3D
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I haven't messed with LW11 Instancing very much. But with HD_Instance I've noticed similar differences.. Best way is to disable the source object and only render the instances.

tcoursey
04-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I would check your GI settings if your using radiosity. VPR only uses one bounce. It's not at all the same if you end up using 3-6 bounces or more in final renders. That explains the change in color and brightness in final renders. I run into this all the time. Maybe that helps.