PDA

View Full Version : Should Lightwave be free for education

tonyhall007
04-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi i teach Lightwave 3D in college and i have just noticed Autodesk, http://students.autodesk.com/ give all there software to education for free. Why does Lightwave not offer this?

ShadowMystic
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Newtek isn't Autodesk. That's the unfortunate truth. Have you seen the list of programs that Autodesk has? Newtek has Lightwave and a few broadcasting tools compared to them.

I'd like to point out many companies don't offer free educational software, Adobe included. However, what Adobe and Newtek both do is offer much cheaper stepping stones into the professional world. Newtek allows education license to upgrade to the next version as a commercial license if you prefer or stick with educational upgrade for $95. Doesn't so good enough?

To get you first commercial copy of Maya will cost you $3495 for new and an upgrade will cost $1795 even if they do allow you to upgrade from a previous education subscription(which I don't believe they do.)

While Newtek and Adobe's policy. It will cost you roughly $200 for you educational license and ~$700 for you upgrade to commercial for Lightwave. For my production premium suite will cost me $400 to upgrade to commercial and the education version cost $500. So for the cost of the Maya upgrade, I have actually purchased my favorite modelling tool( I have used Cinema4D, 3DSMAX, and Blender) and my production suite for the same price. So, instead of just have my tools for 3D, I have 3D, video editing, special effects, photo-editing, and vector graphics.

I'll stick with Lightwave. They also offer lab packs for schools

All education prices available though academicsuperstore dot com

metahumanity
04-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes, it should. Make it even easier to get and install then ADīs learning editions and it could be a very good thing long term advantage for NT.

In other words, donīt make them personal licenses so that whole collges and universities can install Lightwave en masse.

As it is ADīs current strategy medium to long term may very well wipe out the remaining competitors if they donīt react with something similar or better.

jeric_synergy
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I used to teach LW at a community college.

IMO (ha!) a winning strategy might be:

full version free to institutions
limited rez (sub-HD) version cheap (~$95) for students
big-*ss promotional effort to institutions, including learning materials

Pavlov
04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
yes, it should.
Not to "make presents", but to sell more. The mechanism is so simple that it's not needed to explain. Free LW = schools' interest = large diffusion = more licenses sold.
Maybe not free but extremely cheap.
It's a pretty common investment on the long term.

Paolo

prometheus
04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Something along the line of the apprentice version for Houdini might serve well, small watermark, no timelimit, limit fbx options perhaps.

Add student version for a small fee, or lite version.

Personally I would bake turbulenceFD and LwCAd in to a full Lwbundle and sell it for much less than it would cost for buying both those plugins and lightwave seperatly, perhaps throw in volumedic.

That can only happen if Newtek makes a deal with those third party developers to get a certain percentage of LW full bundles etc.

This will make Lightwave more complete from start and more attractive and the same time It just might work to sell those third party tools to a larger client base than sold seperatly...Just a thought.

Michael

Titus
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, that's the drug dealer strategy. The first one is free...

MentalFish
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Pull off a "Unity", make it free and pay to go Pro. I.e. limit render size to 960x540, and a slight polygon count limit in Modeler (limit to 100k pr layer), and you could have hordes of new users. No guarantee of course, but at least there will be an official free version of LW, instead of the buggy, spyware ridden version found on torrent sites.

Only time will tell what NewTek decides to do in terms of licensing.

Lewis
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
LW has problem for being free that NT needs to pay for dongles (they don't make them) so if they give it for "free" then they would even be in debt for XY$ (cost of dongle) giving away dongles/hardware. So first the would have to get rid of dongle to be able to make it free in case lock/security don't need to use dongle.

Pavlov
04-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree.
One thing should be universally clear: there's *nothing* preventing people from using software irregularly, BUT their own will. So, dongle or keycode doensnt make any difference - and if it does, please explain me because i miss it totally. Software gets cracked anyway.
I'm all for a lighter licensing - afterall if Adobe does it, Newtek can do it as well.
Not to mention the disaster that happens eachtime a dongle gets fried.
As i also said before, i'm also for a render-only unregistered LW. This means LW should be able to load scenes, render and save pics even if installed without license. So we could install LW on every node on renderfarm. This would make remote rendeering *so much better and easier*. We would have to use LWSN only when we need many nodes, but if we have to render one hi-res pic on a node, othing is better than accessing node via remote desktop, firing layout, loading scene and hitting F9 (and we would be able to see a render preview which we miss in LWSN, too) ? Again, i cant see how this could harm Lw and regular Lw usage.

Paolo

UnCommonGrafx
04-07-2012, 04:54 PM
One day,
I expect to be forced
To teach the AD toolset
Because it is, indeed, free for institutions...
For 18 months...Then,
I dunno.

Right now, I have ten licenses. With Python, perhaps the masses will come to saturate this space. hahaa. More, I want more. Don't you?

UnCommonGrafx
04-07-2012, 04:59 PM
They can't.

Why would you expect they would?
Why expect/equate NewTek to behave like a behemoth such as AD?

I always wonder if these are serious questions or just troll bait...

Hi i teach Lightwave 3D in college and i have just noticed Autodesk, http://students.autodesk.com/ give all there software to education for free. Why does Lightwave not offer this?

Philbert
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I was happy to get my first copy of LW at the educational price of $350 (maybe $300 I forget) then my next upgrade, which was free due to me buying soon before it launched, brought me up to pro level. Best part was that DAVE School had copies for sale right there so I just went to the office and bought it on the spot. No waiting for shipping or anything.

BTW on a side note 3D-Coat is free for colleges, and steeply discounted for students:
http://3d-coat.com/community/academic-program/

Dexter2999
04-07-2012, 08:28 PM
LW has problem for being free that NT needs to pay for dongles (they don't make them) so if they give it for "free" then they would even be in debt for XY$ (cost of dongle) giving away dongles/hardware. So first the would have to get rid of dongle to be able to make it free in case lock/security don't need to use dongle.

Perhaps.

But if there is a way to code a 30 day demo without a dongle, it seems there should be a way to code an EDU version without a dongle.

rcallicotte
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
The Lightwave Educational edition is very inexpensive and it's not like other companies who make their educational purchasers only have a one-year license. Luxology does this and other companies.

Newtek is handling this well and I commend it.

dickbill
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, maybe a low resolution version for the academic would be OK, but as a full version/full payer user, I don't like to feel abused either.
I saved money as a student to buy LW+Aura 12 years ago and, a family later, my money is actually harder to get now than it was then.
The academics are too used to the easy life, all sort of positive action and discount on this and that, all paid with MY taxes money.
Education is overated anyway since more and more graphic production is outsourced oversea, how many students in these graphic schools actually get a job in graphic production?

Talking about Aura, I wish for a free Aura release, especially because I, like many others who payed for it and liked it, are only stopped to use it because the key-licence is not working in W7 64 bits, while the software itself could probably work perfectly.

D-Lab
04-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi,

Just to let you know that Aura, which was TVPaint before Newtek acquired it, is become again TVPaint so perhaps you could see something with the original developers...

http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/article/home/index.php?lang=en

Tchao

masterchief
04-13-2012, 06:44 AM

The school should be providing it to the student, since they are already paying for it anyway, right? you can also go to journeyed for educational licenses .. there are many other places. I work at a state university, we have site licenses for lots of software. All we need to do is ask for a copy to be used at work or at home. Pressure your educational institution. ~peace

geo_n
06-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I think lw edu should be free now not to lose even more lw users and 3rd party developers losing profit.
http://www.maxon.net/en/products/general-information/general-information/student-versions.html

realgray
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Maxon announced that there will be a free version.

http://www.maxon.net/en/products/general-information/general-information/student-versions.html

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview-default/article/free-cinema-4d-student-version.html

metahumanity
06-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Free fully functional learning versions are definitely the future for softwares to establish themselves.

archijam
06-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Have to say this is a big issue .. but (a little) more complex.

Tom (exception) tried to get LW into the Yale school of architecture labs. They said Yes to LW, and Yes to paying, ... but No to individual dongles.

Here the issue was no roaming licenses, or server-based-dongle option.

To be fair, autodesk software is 'free' to teachers and students, but not to install on university computers (labs). At my university, we still have to pay per machine a certain fee, but for this we get to use a suite of autodesk products.

The idea is to get a many new users to install it on their machines as possible, and for this it is very effective.

Actually i would suggest that there should be some features of LW which are 'free' in the demo ... if it was a good object converter, or even just object viewer, etc .. then people would at least have it permanently installed on their machines, and might get curious for more. As it is, I don't know anyone in my (swiss) university that has LW installed except me.

LiteWave, we could call it :D

Proliferation is the fundamental issue, Autodesk understand this well ..