PDA

View Full Version : Modeler -> change Object -> save -> no auto Update in Layout ?

madno
04-07-2012, 01:34 AM
I have LW11 Modeler and Layout on a local PC (Win7 64).

LW apps are started with no HUB (as I read for LW10 that there is a new inter app communication that does not need HUB anymore).

Start commands are:
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.0\bin\Layout.exe" -0
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.0\bin\Modeler.exe" -0

All objects etc. are in the same sub dir structure.
Layout's and Modeler's content dirs are set to that sub dir.

But when I change something in Modeler (e.g. changing a surface or moving the geometry), I don't get an automatic update in Layout. I either need to clear the objekt and load the respective layer again, or I need to close the scene and load it again to get the changes made in Modeler.

Is there something else I need to set or activate somewhere in the preferences to get an automatic update in Layout after saving a change in Modeler?
Or is there a function like "update scene" to trigger the update manually?

MarcusM
04-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Have you older LightWave installed? It can happen when hub mixing paths. But when I using LW 10.1 and LW 11 modeler and layout they have synchronization.

Easiest way to check your problem is turn on LW, then click on hub -> launch. If it's empy then find hub config file on C drive *\NewTek\LightWave\11.0\... and change/write path to modeler nad layout:

ProcessName 1 LWLayout X:\(where you have installed modeler)
ProcessName 1 LWModeler X:\(where you have installed modeler)

:thumbsup:

madno
04-07-2012, 04:41 AM
I am not sure if I understand your tip right. Please be patient with me.

- I have a new Win and LW11 installation.
- No older LWs are installed on the PC anymore (Windows and LW where installed from scratch after formatting the disk)
- I don't use the HUB.

In my previous PC setup (before I reinstalled Windows and LW from scratch), I had LW 10.1 also running without the HUB (the startup command for Modeler and Layout use the -0 switch which, as I understood it, means, don't use the HUB but communicate directly with the other app). With the LW 10.1 installation it worked in a way that, whenever I changed something in Modeler and saved it, it automatically updated in Layout.
Now with the fresh LW 11 installation there is no automatic update anymore.

Does your tip recommend to better use the HUB, because LW11 does not support automatic update without HUB anymore?

madno
04-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Sorry to bother all.

I made a new object and scene. With that one it works.
Don't know why it does not work in the original scene, but that's life.

DrStrik9
04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
LW apps are started with no HUB (as I read for LW10 that there is a new inter app communication that does not need HUB anymore).

Although my LW always starts with the Hub, I hide the Hub, as on Mac, there are some issues with it.

But I did discover a mysterious connection between Modeler and Layout in LW11 without the Hub: when making a Bullet simulation, thinking Modeler is not connected to Layout since my Hub is hidden, I opened a scene object in Modeler, made a change and saved it. To my surprise, the Bullet sim in Layout immediately adopted the change (right there in the middle of the simulation preview!).

It's probably because of how much Bullet refers to the object ... hey isn't once enough? Maybe this is one way NT could speed Bullet up! :)

akademus
04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
-0 effectively starts the apps without hub, but without hub they cannot communicate. That's the whole purpose of Hub. Its not the greatest solution, but I hope they'll change the way two apps are talking two each other.