PDA

View Full Version : Quality setting for Dome lights?

jeric_synergy
04-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Am I hallucinating, or didn't there used to be a "Quality" setting for Area and Dome lights??? :help:

RebelHill
04-06-2012, 02:03 AM
You obviously missed unified sampling. Its all been moved to the render globals.

BeeVee
04-06-2012, 03:39 AM
There used to be Quality or Samples settings all over the place. As RebelHill says, that's what Unified Sampling means for 11. Have a read of the manual.

B

jeric_synergy
04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
So, individual lights cannot be fine-tuned. Hmph.

DrStrik9
04-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Try the Light Samples value for each light.

This works in tandem with Samples in the Camera Panel, and typically you can get better AA with lower-than-you-thought Light Samples, because the light quality "piggy-backs" on the Camera Samples value: the higher the better for AA first and light quality second. Only raise light samples when problems arise ... start with 1 or 2, and first get Camera samples where you want them for AA.

Hope that helps.

Lewis
04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I suspect you aren't using Area, Linear or IES lights often when you JUST now noticed this big change :D?

jeric_synergy
04-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Correct: Area lights I find to be a huge PITA getting them to lose their noise. Or just put up with near-infinite render times.

IES lights mayk muh bwain hurz.

++
DrStrike9-- I'm gonna RTFM, 'cuz I looked and didn't find a light-by-light setting, just the global setting. Thanks, I'm off to study. (bleagh)

Sensei
04-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Correct: Area lights I find to be a huge PITA getting them to lose their noise. Or just put up with near-infinite render times.

Well, if you used 9 AA passes and Area light quality 4 in LW v9.6, it's equivalent of using 144 max passes in LW v11 (4*4=16*9=144).

Silkrooster
04-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Don't feel bad Jeric, I missed it as well. Must have been out that day. LOL. Quality was one feature, I didn't mess with very much.

prometheus
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I had my dislikes over moving that to the unified sampling, I do not want go through a process of calculating maths in order to fine tune things, would be nicer if they had a check box next to dome light´s with override unified sampling/set quality instead of removing it.

DrStrik9
04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
I had my dislikes over moving that to the unified sampling, I do not want go through a process of calculating maths in order to fine tune things, would be nicer if they had a check box next to dome light´s with override unified sampling/set quality instead of removing it.

I see your point, but in my experiments so far, the new render engine is better, faster, with far more control over the outcome than earlier versions. "What we do for a living is learn new stuff." Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but now I regularly set Render Globals:Render Tab:Light Samples to 1, then Render Globals:Camera:Minimum Samples to 8 or higher, before I do my first test render. The Light Samples (shadow quality) seems to be taken care of mostly by higher Camera Samples. I only set Light Samples higher if Camera Samples can't do the job well enough.

DP lights have a nice "Sampling Mode" choice between "DPL Per Light," in which you can set individual light samples, or "LW Unified" which uses the Render Global Light Sample value for all lights. This would be a good addition in 11.x for individual LW light quality settings.

RebelHill
04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I do not want go through a process of calculating maths in order to fine tune things

but thats exactly what u had to do before... only it was worse... (light qual^2)+(lights)+(shaders)X(AA)+(ASX2 per AS pass)... nightmare and way too easy to waste samples and thus rendertime.

Now its (Light+Shade) X maxAA

prometheus
04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
but thats exactly what u had to do before... only it was worse... (light qual^2)+(lights)+(shaders)X(AA)+(ASX2 per AS pass)... nightmare and way too easy to waste samples and thus rendertime.

Now its (Light+Shade) X maxAA

duh..no..I just set domelight to a decent quality setting from 4-10 basicly, no thinking involved:) worked everytime.

RebelHill
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
well... duh yes, cos thats how the 2 systems compare (more or less). If all u want is just to enter a value and not think about whats going on behind the settings, u can still do that by just punching a number in the light samples field.

JeffrySG
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Am I hallucinating, or didn't there used to be a "Quality" setting for Area and Dome lights??? :help:

Have you watched RebelHill's great video on the subject?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM&list=PL8A1C0DB658775A63&index=2&feature=plpp_video

jeric_synergy
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Have you watched RebelHill's great video on the subject?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNB9tZWUmM&list=PL8A1C0DB658775A63&index=2&feature=plpp_video
Nope, thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

I suspect a lot will fly farrrr over my head.

greg.reyna
04-11-2012, 03:03 PM
This is a gold mine of useful info, the L.A. Lightwave User Group meetings beginning in January, 2011. Check out the one on Unified Sampling where what DrStrik9 says is fleshed out some.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LALightWave

Snosrap
04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Unified sampling is one of the better reasons to upgrade to LW11 IMO. Rendering is amazingly fast with super AA!