PDA

View Full Version : How to stitch jpg's into video

Getting Board
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I have several video editing software packages (Pinnacle, Corel, Magix) but don't see an option in any of them that will allow me to import a series of jpg's (or frames) to create a video.

Is there a trick to this that I'm missing in these programs?

Is there something out there (cheap :) ) that will do this for me?

FYI: I don't have any Adobe or Sony software, nor can I currently afford either.

Thanks

realgray
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Quicktime Pro

dwburman
04-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Are you asking about an image sequence where you have individual frames of a movie or are you asking about something to make a video file of a slide show of separate photographs?

If it's the former, Quicktime Pro ($30) or even LW can do it. [http://www.pixsim.co.uk/] [http://dwburman.com/tutorials/lightwave/10-lw-image-sequence-to-movie-files.html]

If it's the latter, iPhoto or Google's Picasa 3 (Free) can do it. [http://picasa.google.com/]

zarti
04-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Is there something out there (cheap :) ) that will do this for me?

Thanks

ye` cheapy-cheap =)

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

--

.. and the ' cheapest ' command line ( not too much arguments / options ) is the second one on this page :

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/19-ffmpeg-commands-for-all-needs

.cheers

ShadowMystic
04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
To do this in Lightwave with no plugins.

Open new scene in Layout.
Open Image Editor (F6)
Load first image of your sequence.
Change Image Type to "Sequence"
Open Composting Options
Set background image to the sequence you loaded.
Adjust your render settings to the size of the sequence.
RENDER!

P.S. don't forget to set your saving options.

Silkrooster
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
No need to suggest other software, though any one of them can do it. What you have can as well. Its called import as image sequence. Usually you will find a check box towards the bottom of the open dialog box, for enabling this feature. Most if not all video and composite editers can import a jpg, though thats the wrong image format to use, because it is a lossy format. Always try to use the highest quality till the end, then if needed use a lossy format.
In the program(s) preferences you should find a control for setting the delay beteen frames, this needs to be set before importing a sequence as it effects the size (times wise) of each frame. Therefore it is a good idea of knowning what framer per second means if you don't already.
When importing a sequence normally you only have to load the first image and the app will take care of the rest in that folder. Therefore make sure all images are sequencially in order with no skips in numbers and they are the only images in that folder. Not all apps will bulk that that issue, but you never know and therefore, it is a good habit to get into.
If you apps do not load a sequence for what ever reason, then by all means take the advice of the other and find one that suites you.
My favorites for sequences are, Lightwave, quicktime pro, Adobe Premeire and Adobe After Effects. But what you choose it totally up to you as long as it works and is within your budget.
Good luck and have fun...

Philbert
04-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Though keep in mind if you're on a 64 bit PC you can't use Quicktime for LW export. You'll have to either use AVI or run the 32 bit LightWave.

Ryan Roye
04-06-2012, 06:14 PM

See attachment... note that it doesn't have to be JPG... you can use any type of image you want. I like pngs myself since they are lossless, others will tell you TGA is a good format as well. Use what suits your needs.

I actually recommend image sequence over AVI/MOV/MPEG because Lightwave will crash less and from my experience it runs faster. Putting in a lot of AVI files into your scene will slow down your layout viewport significantly... sequences may slow it down as well, so if you find things getting unworkable, set the specific objects to "flat shaded" and that way you can work with the scene easier.

Silkrooster
04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Though keep in mind if you're on a 64 bit PC you can't use Quicktime for LW export. You'll have to either use AVI or run the 32 bit LightWave.

That depends on the app. Quicktime and quicktime pro will run as a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system. Some apps like photoshop 64bit will use the 32 bit version of quicktime.
To my knowledge 64 bit version of Lightwave does not support quicktime but the 32 bit version does which will run fine on a 64 bit system.

DrStrik9
04-06-2012, 09:45 PM
I've used Lightwave to compose my frames, but prefer Quicktime Pro (ymmv) because I can keep rendering while composing what's been rendered, in the background. I get new ideas doing this, and I've caught a lot of errors this way, and generally used what comes out early to improve my scenes, all without stopping LW from rendering, except for necessary changes. Having something other than LW to compose is sort of like "VPR for rendering." :+)

Getting Board
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
I tried the "Lightwave" method of creating video from my still images, but it came out looking terrible. It looks like the palette was decreased to 256 colors. I used AVI uncompressed, 100% quality. I use AVI for everything I do across all video software packages I own and I've never seen this happen. The images were .jpg, which look great. Any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I else I can do. Re-rendering in another format other than .jpg is not an option at this point.

Might the other programs mentioned do a better job?

dwburman
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised the video looks bad with AVI uncompressed. I've seen bad quality AVIs with Microsoft Video and Cinepak codecs. That might be a bug report waiting to happen.

The other programs mentioned shouldn't have that problem. Heck, LW shouldn't have that problem.

dwburman
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I just did a test here with LW11 64-bit in Windows7 64-bit, and I did not get nasty looking video when exporting an animation.

I did have to pick DirectShow(.avi) in order to save. AVI(.avi) just gave me Cannot Open File warnings.

After selecting DirectShow(.avi) from the Type menu, I clicked the Options button and selected (or left selected) avi: Uncompressed (UYVY) as the codec and set my frame rate.

I also tried the MJPEG codec, and while it did not reduce the color palette to 256, it did come out too contrasty.

My initial had a misfire regarding color space issues (very washed out), but going to options and selecting the sRGB preset seemed to take care of it.

zarti
04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
hi again Getting Board ,

it is sad to know you yet havent resolved your issue .

dont be lazy . try my suggestion .

i do this to have as clips and preview my rendered sequences without the need to open any other software .

maybe i can assist you on that ..

!good luck

jeric_synergy
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
"AVI" is a very general term. What codec did you use, what compression?

This CAN be done perfectly well in LW, but another program might be more convenient. Do you have an editing program? One of the freebies will probably be easier, but I still suspect pilot error.

zarti
04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
or you can use Bink ..

http://www.radgametools.com/binkhcon.htm

dee
04-12-2012, 03:58 AM
or VirtualDub: http://www.virtualdub.org/index

Amurrell
04-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Or Blender. hehe

oobievision
04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Pinnacle Studio should have import image sequence in the import section. I have used pinncle before and I know for a fact you can import sequences.