PDA

View Full Version : Why Am I getting this effect?

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 08:24 AM
I UV mapped this stripe image onto the three strands in this object. Don't understand why I'm getting this molten effect. trying to learn UV mapping.
I uploaded the files if you would like to have a look.

Skonk
04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Strange cos if I open your scene/object and use the image you posted here... this is what I get (I changed nothing).

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Me too.

I did notice that the scene was calling for crown3 flat.lwo and you have given us crown1 flat.lwo.... And I see in the screen grab that it is indeed crown3 in the scene. I think crown 3 is the problem.

Also, fyi, a quick look at crown 1 showed three end Npolys in the loops that you don't need, and also, merge polys got rid of 70 points. Although crown 1 seemed to render okay both of those things could cause a light leak. (although with the effect you're getting it seems like a lot more than 70 points are involved. Try merging anyway....)

Please upload crown 3.

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 09:41 AM
This is odd. Any ideas? Crown 1 and 3 are basically the same.

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Can you throw up crown3 anyway?
Might as well compare apples to apples. :)

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Can you throw up crown3 anyway?
Might as well compare apples to apples. :)

Ok let me try.

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I get the same exact thing. This really has me concerned as I have some big jobs coming up. Could I have accidentally flipped a preference or something?

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 10:14 AM
sorry for confusion.
I meant upload the crown3 lwo so we can look at the actual offending object.
(or is that a render of crown1 and you're getting the same result?)

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
sorry for confusion.
I meant upload the crown3 lwo so we can look at the actual offending object.
(or is that a render of crown1 and you're getting the same result?)

I think I'm getting the same result on all of them. I'll upload crown3

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Here are both 1 and 3

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Tony it appears you have some problems with your geometry.
Halfway around each ring your polys are flipped. I see that you have double sided checked for your texture, but this will not fix the problem.
I'm confident that if you flip all inward facing polys and use single sided textures you will be fine.

(on crown 1 the normals seem to be fine - you still don't need the double sided).

Give this a try...... (crown 3 with normal change).

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't understand. If you all just loaded, and rendered the scene, and it came out good, why not on my end?

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
we loaded crown1....

Is crown 1 also giving you the same artifacts??

Did the lwo I posted render ok?

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
All crowns render the same. I'm out right now. When I get back I'll check the one you uploaded. What did you do to it?

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
1) unified the normals, so they're all facing out.
2) got rid of the six Ngons that were inside the tubes that were left over from your extrusion/twist/transform (whichever way you went about it :))
3) took off double sided textures.

but like I said, I think it's a Normal issue.

..... but if Crown 1 is also behaving badly...... hmmmmm.

Let me know what happens with what I sent.

Skonk
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Is it possible that in your scene you have both objects loaded at the same time, occupying the same space and thus giving you z-buffer errors?

(meaning it you have multiple polygons in the same place so the z-buffer cant decide which polygons should go infront).

Skonk
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I just tried again with the new object you posted and my render still looks fine so wtf is going on I don't know.

In your scene are you just using 1 image map?

Try downloading the texture you posted here and re-apply that to your object and see if its still the same, could be something funky with the texture file.

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
WTF is going on. Still does it with the Crown3 normals unified! I shutdown and restarted. I only have one object loaded. I have to get this fixed before starting these jobs. I am running this on a Mac Pro.
Does in Lightwave 11, and 9.6. 11 is only the demo.

GraphXs
04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Why not try to start over with a simple scene? Are you using GI? Try it without that.

GraphXs
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Not seeing an issue with your files. Maybe you can try switching camera to Perspective camera o see if it still happens?

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Damn - really thought that was going to do it.

Agree with GraphXs.... start over. In light (sorry) of the circumstances, doesn't seem too complicated of a scene to redo.

OR, change out each item one at a time. Sometimes when I get a weird glitch, it's not enough to change the camera or light type. ADD entirely new items and delete the old (and don't clone either). You only have two objects to do that with (light + camera), and neither of those are animated, so you can preserve some of your work..... until a total scene rebuild.:compbeati

(btw I'm using LW 9.6.1/9.6 too)

D-Lab
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Tony,

You can also try to delete your config files, a fresh start could fix things.

And as Skonk said earlier, you should check your image map.

Tchao

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
It's doing it in Lightwave 11demo as well, so don't see how it can be the confi files. I on the car when I get home I'll start a new scene. Still don't understand how it can be ok on your end, and screwed up on mine. The other day I did install anti virus malware software. Could that have anything to do with it?

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
i rebuilt a brand new scene, and stll have the issue. Not sure what to do now.

nickdigital
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I just loaded up your scene as-is and it looks fine to me. I didn't do anything other than hit F9. I didn't do anything to the model too.

I resaved your scene out. Try loading mine up.

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Absolutely try Nick's scene.....

Let's see, u have rebuilt from scratch.... :stumped:
So, the only thing that hasn't changed is the image map.
(going back up to Skonk's comment), maybe the jpg is corrupt. Try reloading image - or even make a new one.

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Loaded Nicks Scene, same thing. Also made new image map still no luck!

nickdigital
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I just noticed your on a Mac...I'm on a PC so not sure if that matters. What happens if you turn the glow off?

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry Tony.... out of ideas ;D

...and why is your last render so yellow/orange? oh, new image map image..... nevermind.

Skonk
04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Annoyingly I left my macbook at work so wont be able to get it till monday otherwise id try it on that to see if it's a mac thing (im on a pc here).

JoePoe
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
BTW, Everything I've done has been on a MAC (an ancient one to boot - pre Intel :rock:)

Tony3d
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I really don't know what to do at this point. I sent the scene to Newtek. They should get back to me tomorrow. One thing I'm going to try is to zap the pram on my Mac Pro. Corrupted pram could be the issue. Tomorrow I'll zap the pram.

nickdigital
04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I really don't know what to do at this point. I sent the scene to Newtek. They should get back to me tomorrow. One thing I'm going to try is to zap the pram on my Mac Pro. Corrupted pram could be the issue. Tomorrow I'll zap the pram.

Maybe in a pinch you can get a render service or someone on the forum to render your scene for you. It sounds like the problem might be specific to you. 8~

Tony3d
04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Tried Zapping Pram, and still have the same molten effect

Tony3d
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Found out it's rendering this way on all Macs! Made another model of just a tube, and this seems to work. Go figure.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/2001as/?action=view&current=Untitled-desktop.mp4

Tony3d
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I figured it out!! On a Mac if you put a negative number in the animation UV cycler it all goes to hell. If you keep positive numbers all is well! The reason I put in a negative number was to change the direction of the middle band, but I'll bet if I change the point order before starting UV Creeper that would change the direction, and I could keep a positive number in cycler.

JoePoe
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Tony - glad it worked out. And I should probably let sleeping dogs lie, but....
I'm on a Mac, and I opened your file and rendered as is (didn't touch uv cycler) and all was well. I'm away from computer, but when I can, out of my own sense of morbid curiosity, I'll try to recreate the problem playing with cycler.

Until then... If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

nickdigital
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
I figured it out!! On a Mac if you put a negative number in the animation UV cycler it all goes to hell. If you keep positive numbers all is well! The reason I put in a negative number was to change the direction of the middle band, but I'll bet if I change the point order before starting UV Creeper that would change the direction, and I could keep a positive number in cycler.

Glad you got it fixed. You should submit a bug report to NewTek.

Tony3d
04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I did submit a bug report. They told my it did the same on their as it does on mine. They also get the molten effect. I figured out it has nothing to do with positive ornegative numbers. I had taken one band, and entered a negative number to make the texture travel the opposite way. Then it turns to hell, but if put all negative, or all positive numbers in it works fine. Can someone verify this for me?