PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy This?

rcallicotte
04-05-2012, 07:40 AM
If you as a Lightwave artist had an opportunity to purchase Modo as an extra tool (not as a replacement for Lightwave), would you? This is a serious question. I have only so much $$ and have an opportunity to get 501 at a pretty good price (legitimately).

I see this community as an objective bunch who tends to make good points, so I appreciate your insight.

Nangleator
04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Yup. Eagerly. Never had the spare cash.

If you can only have one tool, though, LW is probably the way to go. But who wants to be limited to one tool?

rcallicotte
04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I love Lightwave for many reasons and love its community, so I have hopes for future benefits where I might not need another tool. Yet, I see the advantage of multiple tools...sometimes.

It's a real dilemma. Thanks.

Yup. Eagerly. Never had the spare cash.

If you can only have one tool, though, LW is probably the way to go. But who wants to be limited to one tool?

geo_n
04-05-2012, 09:56 AM
At this point in modo, no. Both still overlap each others features.
Modo's strongest point is asset creation and its renderer. But its only critical to some and most do great work with old modeller and lw renderer. Too similar offering from lw, modo.
Better spend for zbrush or 3dcoat that offers a totally different toolset.

GregMalick
04-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Do you have ZBrush? That would be my first suggestions as a second tool.

Some people may prefer Mudbox, of course.

erikals
04-05-2012, 10:19 AM
though 3Dcoat is more affordable and offers much more compared to the cash.
Realflow learning edition is also interesting, not modeling related though.
but also LWplugins could be of interest i guess, LWCad, many more...

really depends what you are aiming for... film, hobby, TV, games?

rcallicotte
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all of the input!

I want to learn enough to be useful...not just hack at it.

I have zBrush, 3DCoat, Lightwave, TG2, Messiah Studio, had Modo (sold it to pay bills) and use Adobe products. Lightwave is my main 3D tool of focus. But, with 601 coming out, I might want back in to keep up with what is possible.

Then again, maybe I could wait to see what Newtek creates next and save money to go from educational version (I'm at a university) to full fledged LW.

If I was working somewhere besides a university (ie - money wasn't an issue), I would just get 501 as an aside. That isn't the case. Most of the software above came at a discount or I picked it up very early in the development cycle.

Phil
04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
The obvious question would be what do you need in modo that you struggle to do in LW? If you have ZBrush and 3Dcoat, you have painting and sculpting tools already. messiah studio provides you with character animation tools. So what's the pull, aside from price, to look at modo?

I have modo and had specific reasons for picking it up when and how I did, and it's fulfilled my needs many times over. It's not issue-free, though, especially with large scenes.

Celshader
04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I would not buy modo, but only because nothing I do right now requires modo.

Thanks for all of the input!

I want to learn enough to be useful...not just hack at it.

If your schedule permits, please consider learning Python (http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide) as an additional tool for your VFX work. Python is free, easy to learn and very, very useful in VFX work.

rcallicotte
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
@Phil - the pull is the simplistic animation tools, at this point. Other things I find incredible - the rendering engine, the way textures are handled (not the tree; the drag&drop aspect), the Pixar subdivision surfaces, the ease of the interface, some of the modeling tools, among a few other things.

@Celshader - I'm a programmer by profession, so I've looked into Python some and want to really get into it more. Good idea!

Thanks again for the input. I almost lean toward thinking of Lightwave as an eventual tool I use almost exclusively. I believe LW has a lot of potential. :D

alexs3d
04-06-2012, 12:36 AM
if you ask me i would say NO :) , i also have lightwave AND modo, but i always come back to lightwave because of its simpicity, you can work so fast in lightwave and can have incredible results in no time, modo 601 i overblown with features, for me to complex with shaders which makes no fun :) it is not so solid as it was in the first days, lightwave feels much more stable for me.

maybe you wait for some amazing plugins, i think worley is cooking something ;) or turbulence when you like fire and smoke.

realgray
04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Absolutely if it fits your needs. I love LW but Modo has a lot of things LW has struggled with such as Micropoly displacement, render passes and updated modeling tools. Even using the unified environment for modeling projections is very useful. Double Negative used it for matte paintings (amongst other things) on John Carter
http://www.luxology.com/press/release/20120320_Luxology_DoubleNegative_JohnCarter/index.aspx

I love animating in LW and the camera controls are second to none. Also LW is extremely stable. I believe modo and LW are a most excellent combination.

Afalk
04-06-2012, 04:26 AM
LWCAD would get my vote for a general pick towards adding hugely beneficial functionality to LW, but having Modo in house as an adjunct to LW would be sweet as well. You also might want to investigate picking up T4D (depending on what kinds of things you're doing in house)

wesleycorgi
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I bought Modo way back when (got a sweet deal as part of the Pixel Corps). Then I upgraded twice (including 601). But to be honest, I haven't used Modo enough to warrant the money I've invested. I love Modo's modeling tools; they are way more intuitive and not bogged down by years of quirky tools and interface like LW.

However, LW as a framework, while missing several tools, serves many more needs. But I find that, a lot of my struggles are based on my lack of knowledge of LW capabilities because of NT's poor documentation of all those features. When they had Proton do all those videos, that was awesome. Luxology does a great job with their videos (which has compelled me to keep upgrading).

Of course, the greatest virtue of LW is the community. I am always amazed when you pose a question, then someone a few minutes later sends you a script, scene, or link that puts you on the right path.

wesleycorgi
04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
If your schedule permits, please consider learning Python (http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide) as an additional tool for your VFX work. Python is free, easy to learn and very, very useful in VFX work.
That's on my list of things to do: learn python. Personally I'm not a very good programmer/scripter, so I've been waiting for the scripters out there to come out with some cool LW samples. But I haven't really seen anything yet, which surprises me.