PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight available on Steam

Nangleator
04-05-2012, 06:22 AM
The core package is free, and includes a Hawaiian island and two planes, a cute amphibian and a Stearman. Steam has a package deal on the rest of the islands, a P-51 and a Maule. A nice kit plane comes with the Hawaii package, I think.

On first blush, it's not substantially better than FSX, but it does seem better, graphic-wise. The video settings seem to be only "Low, Medium, High." It was pretty smooth on my GeForce 450, but there was a bit of choppiness in the telephoto flyby camera, with lots of scenery in the background, at 1920x1080.

The tutorials are a bit talky, but interesting. It seems like there's tons of missions, so you can make that your method of play, or go with free flight.

I don't think it's set up for the airline transport pilot crowd. Short and interesting trips, mostly.

The business model seems to be about nickel and diming you over DLC. Downloading those extras was a bit non-intuitive, but Xbox live people might be well used to it.

I don't know if there's more content available now, or if that's just in the pipeline. I imagine it will be coming in waves, soon. I'm kinda wondering if there's a market for enterprising modelers...

Give the freebie a try.

BigHache
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
That's cool. Dangit, and I gave up gaming too. I like flight sims though. I may play with that.

OnlineRender
04-05-2012, 09:50 AM
I am addicted to miniclip pool atm ... http://www.miniclip.com/games/8-ball-pool-multiplayer/en/ .......

Stevens1639

Nangleator
04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
The reviews seem to suggest it's neither a serious sim nor a game, but somewhere in the wishy-washy between. I'll determine that for myself, when I've had more time.

OnlineRender
04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
the closest I get to flight sim these days is google earth plane option