PDA

View Full Version : Need new HD -- which is best?

safetyman
04-03-2012, 08:02 AM
I trust you guys more than the seemingly dense reviewers that I've seen online, since you ladies and gentlemen rely on your hardware more than the average Twitter-er/Facebook junkie, as do I.

I have a 3-year old Windows Vista 64 machine, but it runs just as good as the day I bought it. All I really need is more space. :)

500GB to 1TB should do for now. I have 1 free SATA hookup, just waiting to be filled.

Western Digital? Seagate? Other? Which is the most reliable? Which are compatible with Vista 64, as I've heard that some WD drives won't run with 3-year old motherboards (I have an ASUS A5N-E SLI)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dexter2999
04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Personally, I like Seagate and Hitachi drives. Although the Seagate drives have taken a dip in quality since they expanded into the consumer market.

biliousfrog
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I've only ever had Seagate drives fail on me (2 in total) and, after reading lots of reviews and asking other's opinions, only use WD drives now.

I think that the 3TB drives can be a problem for older hardware but a mobo firmware update might fix that.

Lewis
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Go with WD Black 7200rpm series, those still have 5 years warranty, others are decreasing warranties to 1-3 years (WD also for cheaper Blue/Green models).

K-Dawg
04-03-2012, 10:16 AM
My recommendation is to use a WD Drive. I had a few Seagate ones and always problems after a few years like Headcrashes and such. Retrieving your data will be an expensive thing then.

Running WD on the otherside I can't say nothing bad about them. One thing though. Do the extra investment and get a WD Drive made especially for permanent usage like Servers have. They are more robust and have a way longer lifespan than the Consumer ones do.

This is a good model with 500 GB:
Western Digital WD5003ABYX

This one is also one of those Special Longlife Drives for Server with 1TB:
Western Digital WD1003FBYX

If you really want a reliable HDD, then WD Server Drives are your best bet.

Greetz

Phil
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I had WD fail on me, but they've always been excellent about replacing them. With the amount of data to store these days, no matter what brand of HD, I'd go at least for RAID 1. When a drive fails, you'll at least have a usable redundant copy to preserve until you can source a replacement.

safetyman
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. It looks like I'll take your advice and get a WD drive.

K-Dawg -- thanks for the tip. Actually, these models aren't that much more expensive than the consumer ones (~$30), so it won't hurt that much to buy one. Thanks again.

JonW
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Which every one you buy get 2 & mirror.

I had 1 go last year, luckily most of my stuff had copies else where. It was a barely used HD but that didn't help either!

Andy Meyer
04-05-2012, 01:35 AM
go with wd black 7200rpm series, those still have 5 years warranty, others are decreasing warranties to 1-3 years (wd also for cheaper blue/green models).

+1 !!!

sniethamer
04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
We

tayotain2
04-15-2012, 11:12 PM
go with wd black 7200rpm series, those still have 5 years warranty, others are decreasing warranties to 1-3 years (wd also for cheaper blue/green models).

+1