PDA

View Full Version : I really need help please.

Tony3d
04-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Ok, I downloaded UV Creeper so I can have an image follow the contours of an object. I really don't know much at all about UV mapping. Please keep that in mind. I need this green image below to follow this cable as a band of color wrapped around it. When I set this up with UV Creeper it maps the green image over the entire object, not just a band wrapped around it. How can I easily get this done?

Tony3d
04-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Is there an easier way to animate a texture running through this pipe? Any help would be great.

oobievision
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
what do u mean by band, do u want just a want the green stripe running through it? or do u want the cable to be green with some white lines running through it?

EDIT nvm I got what ur saying.

evenflcw
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
If what is sought is having this texture repeated and running along the length of the pipe then the right tool has been used, but not all steps have been completed!

The UVCreeper/Spider will map the geometry within the 1x1 UV square... but you do not have to be content with that. You can move the vertices outside this space. By default the texture (image) repeats over and over outside this square. So if you stretch the UVed points along the V axis you should start seeing the image repeating along the length of the pipe. To animate, use the UV Cycler feature or whatever it's called, or go mental with Nodes.

D-Lab
04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Tony,

To adjust the placement of the texture with UV, you have to move and/or stretch the UV themselves in the UV viewport.

I've attached a scene, hope that is what you want.

Tchao

Ok, evenflcw beat me with a better explanation, but I gave a file :D

Tony3d
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
what do u mean by band, do u want just a want the green stripe running through it? or do u want the cable to be green with some white lines running through it?

EDIT nvm I got what ur saying.

This is what I need to repeat.

Tony3d
04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Tony,

To adjust the placement of the texture with UV, you have to move and/or stretch the UV themselves in the UV viewport.

I've attached a scene, hope that is what you want.

Tchao

Ok, evenflcw beat me with a better explanation, but I gave a file :D

That is exactly what I need. I don't understand how you made it fit like that. This is what I did. In Modeler I selected two points then started UV Creeper. I left both boxes in the Creeper panel blank. It creats the UV! Then when I select the map to display the Texture almost tehe whole pipe is green. I just don't understand how you adjust the map. Please if someone can walk me through this it would be great! I even loaded the Model back into Modeler and looked at the UV in the top left port. It seems to cover the entire grid, so I don't get how one adjusts it's size or what tools your suppose to use to that. I assume its the size and stretch tools. I understand how you move and control the speed and direction, but thats it. I have to be able make it fit. Are you suppose to select points in a certain way with creeper, or just any two points?

ch.schrul
04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Don't forget to set the tiling in texture editor to repeat.

D-Lab
04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
In the UV viewport, just use the normal tools (move, size, rotate...) to change the way the image is placed on the polys.
Try with a plane, it should be simpler.

Here is a view of the UV map with your image map showed at the bottom.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103178&stc=1&d=1333481554

Good luck.

JoePoe
04-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Tony,

Sounds like you might have gotten things figured. Just posting to give you another option, if the UVing is still a little alien (for now).

I made this anim with just one weight map and one gradient. Seems to do what you need... as long as it's just a bar of color(s) moving.
The weight is a simple 1-0 across the length of the whole tube (bend and all) and used as the input of a color bar gradient enveloped over time.

I can go into it a little more if you wish.

If it's an actual image that's moving then the UV is still the way to go.

JoePoe
04-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Uh... okay, now I need help.
(Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread).

Why isn't my simple .mov file showing up??
To be frank, I don't think I've ever a attached a movie to a post before - only stills. What am I missing???

JoePoe
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
At least this will work.
Here's that clip (http://vimeo.com/39735055)

(Still interested in any .mov attachment suggestions.:help:)

mcotner
04-03-2012, 05:53 PM
The attachment is working for me.

Tony3d
04-03-2012, 09:30 PM
At least this will work.
Here's that clip (http://vimeo.com/39735055)

(Still interested in any .mov attachment suggestions.:help:)

Thanks that's another alternative. I did this to though.
Thanks again for all your help

dwburman
04-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Here's a good presentation on UV maps in LW that might help demystify things for you.

http://youtu.be/ZyyLu3FQr9Q

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Here's a good presentation on UV maps in LW that might help demystify things for you.

http://youtu.be/ZyyLu3FQr9Q

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm basically finding that you can make just about any image fit anything by just resizing, stretching, and rotating the UV. Nice to see it really wasn't rocket science.

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Ok, it still has not sunk in. Why am I getting these to ears on opposite ends of the UV? I think I'm doing something wrong when selecting points before applying UV Creeper. I'm just selecting two points down the side of the tube leaving both fields blank, and hitting ok.

D-Lab
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Before using UV creeper, cut and paste the two circular polygons caps to another layer, apply UV creeper and put the polys back, don't forget to merge the points.

You are near the end !!

Tchao

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Before using UV creeper, cut and paste the two circular polygons caps to another layer, apply UV creeper and put the polys back, don't forget to merge the points.

You are near the end !!

Tchao
Holy Crap that worked! I can't thank you enough. will this work with any box or tube shape?

D-Lab
04-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Yes, it should work with this type of shapes and sometimes you need to isolate the parts you want to work with...

Tchao

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I just mad this shape and mage uv's for each strand. the UV's animate fine, but when I render I only get the named surface color. Whats up with that?

dwburman
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Do you have Use Nodes (or whatever the checkbox is called) in the surface editor checked if you're using nodes?

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you have Use Nodes (or whatever the checkbox is called) in the surface editor checked if you're using nodes?

Figured it out. I left an alpha map in one of the channels. Sorry.

Tony3d
04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Ok, I'm having fun with this now.