PDA

View Full Version : Is it really hard to put Camera View in Modeler?

tyrot
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Is it really hard to put Camera View in modeler? Is it impossible to code?

We have no matter what a fantastic modeler but in terms of Camera matching ...everything seem like rocket science...

Yes i know 3rd party and no i do not get Mr.Rid's workflows because he is genius and i am not :( (and he is not making video tutorials:((

Someone with deeper knowledge of coding can explain for the mortal Lightwavers? Because if two applications remains at least Camera view in Modeler would be solving lots of VFX related issues..

cresshead
04-02-2012, 03:37 PM
yeh...impossible currently...you'll have to wait and see...modeller needs so many updates i'm sure a 'camera' is on the list just not anywhere near the top.

i think it's more possible to get some modelling tools in layout than a camera into modeller or lights...or a timeline.

biliousfrog
04-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Apparently it is possible (kind of). I've heard Oliver's argument said by several people but it completely misses the very basic point that modelling to the camera is something that should be possible, in any form, from a VFX application.

At the most basic level, you should be able to load a BG image into Layout, set up the camera and ground plane to match then open Modeler and have a view that exactly matches the Layout camera so that you can model with the same perspective and BG image. That's all that's needed initially...just enough to build some geometry to match the BG plate, no need for animation as that is likely to involve tracking anyway and only requires a single frame to align objects.

I'm obviously no software engineer but I imagine that some way to manipulate the perspective views viewing angle, position from origin and rotation with the ability to add a BG image would be quite simple to implement. It's certainly possible to get close by manually tweaking modeler's viewport controls but it would be very difficult to match the same exact world co-ordinates and camera FoV from Layout.

Lewis
04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Unified app, anything else as workaround is just patching/half-baked thing and waste of DEVs and potentially ours (if is temp/going to be changed anyway) time.

so yeah it is that hard to do it in LWM.

Afalk
04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Apparently it is possible (kind of). I've heard Oliver's argument said by several people but it completely misses the very basic point that modelling to the camera is something that should be possible, in any form, from a VFX application.

At the most basic level, you should be able to load a BG image into Layout, set up the camera and ground plane to match then open Modeler and have a view that exactly matches the Layout camera so that you can model with the same perspective and BG image. That's all that's needed initially...just enough to build some geometry to match the BG plate, no need for animation as that is likely to involve tracking anyway and only requires a single frame to align objects.

I'm obviously no software engineer but I imagine that some way to manipulate the perspective views viewing angle, position from origin and rotation with the ability to add a BG image would be quite simple to implement. It's certainly possible to get close by manually tweaking modeler's viewport controls but it would be very difficult to match the same exact world co-ordinates and camera FoV from Layout.

I agree 100% :) That would be an ideal quick fix. And I am hoping it can be added to the work list for the devs.

AF

JBT27
04-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Agreed - modelling to the camera would be a start, and would satisfy some demands, not least matte painting. The previous arguments are valid, and are some of the greatest arguments for having a unified app ... if there's one thing I miss about Maya, it's having it all live in the one file.

I've got a kind of modelling to camera thing going on, or adjusting to camera, but that's via two screens and Fprime, which is sluggish in LW11 ... although in fairness that is with a pano cam that VPR is useless for.

But, I think we are going to have to wait and see what's coming down the line ... the ultimate fix for all this is not something I am expecting anytime soon though, certainly not before 12 or even 13 ...

Julian.

erikals
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
 
best way at the moment is LayoutMeshEditTool,
http://youtu.be/ZSyCoEgB6oo#t=0m55s
 

tyrot
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM

THANKS so much for writing this post. That is exactly what i mean by that.
I didnt say Timeline, VPR! or something like that.. Just a basic CAMERA view for make us an easier CameraMatch Modelling..that s all. I cannot believe we have all the tools but still not having this...:(

vector
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
It was told a few times in the forums... I hope NT is listening :)

Vector

3DGFXStudios
04-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Unified app, anything else as workaround is just patching/half-baked thing and waste of DEVs and potentially ours (if is temp/going to be changed anyway) time.

so yeah it is that hard to do it in LWM.

Yes it's time to merge Modeler and Layout. I'm getting tired of creating solutions for problems like this.

Phil
04-04-2012, 07:25 AM
But I have to accept that there are lots more, different things to consider for "a simple feature" (insert hollow laugh by software designer/engineer), as Mr. Wolf once, or twice (3, 4, 19 times... ehm...), made clear to me over a few beers and left me feeling incredibly stupid for "not having thought about that". :D I think he enjoys that a little... :help:

I long ago learnt to listen to Mike's input. He's got a great head on his shoulders and tends to have seen the traps on the path ahead before you've even got your shoes on to go for the walk.

Lightwolf
04-04-2012, 07:39 AM
But I have to accept that there are lots more, different things to consider for "a simple feature" (insert hollow laugh by software designer/engineer), as Mr. Wolf once, or twice (3, 4, 19 times... ehm...), made clear to me over a few beers and left me feeling incredibly stupid for "not having thought about that". :D I think he enjoys that a little... :help:
Hehe... maybe just a little. The good thing about discussions like that is that they always lead to some aspects of a problem that has been overlooked. Which may either simplify or complicate the matter.
You did catch most of the major issues though. ;)

On that note, of course a "simple" solution would be possible. It would also simply break in so many uses cases that "simple" quickly turns to useless. And that in turn ends up as cries of yet another half-baked feature. :hey:

This is also not saying that the whole idea is useless, far from it. I still remember the joys of being able to model (and paint!) in an animated (which was crucial for the project) perspective in modo for a matte heavy gig many years ago.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. @Phil: Awww... thanks. The trick is to still attempt the walk though - but be prepared for it. One danger obviously is to never attempt it because the preparation can never be perfect.