PDA

View Full Version : Uv mapping

Tony3d
04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Can someone please explain to me how one makes an image on a uv mapped surface smaller? I don't get it.

nickdigital
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
If you scale up your UV island that'll make your image smaller. You're increasing the area that the UV island takes up.

dwburman
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
1) Scale up the UV in modeler.

2) Scale down the image in an image editor, but keep the canvas the same size.

3) If you're using an image node in the Node editor, and you need to halve the size of the image, you could set the U tiles and V Tiles to 2 and set the U Tiling and V Tiling to Reset or Edge to keep the image from tiling. You may need to grab a Constant:Scalar node set to .5 or 1.5 and plug it into U offset and V offset to recenter your image.

4) Go to your image in the Image Editor, On the Processing Tab add the Textured Filter to your image. This will give you a texture editor which you can use to replace your original image with another copy of itself, only this time, you'll use a standard Planar projection and you can scale/rotate it however you like.

Most of those suggestions will only work if you have a large square or round UV map with your image centered on it. By nature, UV maps give you fixed coordinates to map the pixels of an image to your surface. In that way UVs aren't as flexible as the other texture projections methods.

I don't know the shape of your UV, so I don't know if this will be helpful or not.

Tony3d
04-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I basically need an animated signal pulse following a wire. I was using uv creeper to make the uv follow. It works great, but the whole map is to large.