PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime w/Alpha Channel

digitalimagery
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I understand the value of rendering in frame mode in the event of a crash but when I'm doing wireframe tests they render fast enough that a single QT mov is preferred.

I'm doing a logo animation and am using two cameras. I want to composite the wireframes together to be sure I'm getting the transition I want.

When I render an animation in QuickTime and click options I don't see to an option to output an alpha channel (RGB+ as in AE) - what am I missing?

Is there a way to output a double (or triple) thick wire when rendering in WF mode? I used to use an app that gave you an option for outputting thicker wires. In LW I usually use a feature in AE when compositing to fatten up the alpha (but you need an alpha to do that).

Is duplicating the alpha and using a channel option to make the dupe the alpha the only option?

I like the look of colored wireframes and can see them used as is in certain situations if the option exists. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Than you.
DigitalImagery

nickdigital
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
When I render an animation in QuickTime and click options I don't see to an option to output an alpha channel (RGB+ as in AE) - what am I missing?

If you're using the Animation codec with Depth set to Millions of Colors+ you'll get an alpha. It just worked for me on a quick test.

Is there a way to output a double (or triple) thick wire when rendering in WF mode? I used to use an app that gave you an option for outputting thicker wires. In LW I usually use a feature in AE when compositing to fatten up the alpha (but you need an alpha to do that).

I think the WF mode is a very limited way to render so there are no options to render larger lines. If you're render is black and white you could use that as a luma matte in AE to create an alpha.

dwburman
04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
If your wires are on the lighter side of things, you might get away with setting the blend mode on the wires layer to Multiply in AE.

digitalimagery
04-02-2012, 02:21 PM
The After Effects techniques I'm very familiar with. The problem is when you want to incorporate your wire frame into the final compositing for example creating a dissolve from wire frame to the final render (as part of the design/animation) I want fatter wires, in color and with anti aliasing. From the sounds of things this isn't an option.

Guess I just confirmed what I suspected. Thanks. BTW Electric IMage is the app that has those options.

DigitalImagery

nickdigital
04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
You'll probably need to render with lines.

Look into this plugin.
http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

digitalimagery
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
That plug looks pretty cool. I'll have to play with that. Thanks so much.

DI

djwaterman
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
That plugin is great, but your object is going to be solid. I don't know if you can flip the polygons so that you see the interior of the object with the colorpoly effect, then comp the two animations together, one flipped, one normal with some sort of blend mode so that it looks like a see-through wire frame. Seems like a lot of work though.

dwburman
04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Another possible option is to go to the Advanced tab in your surface settings and check "Render Outlines" and set your Line Size to 2.0.

You'll probably want to set your diffuse to 0% and your luminosity to 100% to get perfectly solid lines, but you might find the shaded look suits your scene better.

Silkrooster
04-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Just another solution to throw out there. If you own LWCad, you can convert the mesh to curves, then apply a profile to the curves. You end up with a mesh from the the edges, allowing you to have a true transparent areas of the mesh which will display correctly using an alpha channel.

The attachment is nothing more than a box with added edges on a ground plane.