PDA

View Full Version : VFX labor for free

geo_n
04-01-2012, 12:19 AM
http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/the-paying-to-work-for-free-vfx-business-model/

VFX labor for free?
So my understanding is the article is about making money out of students who want to work for the vfx industry but have to do it for free. Talk about desperation to work on movies. These big houses lure cg geeks with the so called prestige and pride that comes with working on big movies. Lol
Meanwhile the quality of life suffers, they're in debt for the next two decades.

stiff paper
04-01-2012, 02:00 AM
And when they've finished their "education" then they'll find that the wages for their new job in VFX have dropped through the floor, because who's going to pay them a good rate when there's always a new intake of students who'll work for free?

I'm pretty sure none of that is about what it says it's about anyway. It's all just a "legal" way of scamming $millions of public funding so that the new "Investment" owners of DD can line their pockets at everybody else's expense.

I read VFX Soldier all the time, but damn... mostly it's a pretty depressing read.

TAG Blog can be an interesting industry read also: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com

digitaldoc
04-01-2012, 06:46 AM
Kind of like free labor in hospitals by med students who pay (through the nose) to work 18 hr shifts up to 7 days a week.

rcallicotte
04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
If (only if) these sorts of situations were governed by rules that say the students get a job somewhere to make money and their student loans are forgiven does this make sense. Also, they couldn't reduce the regular work force.

My ideas to prevent the craziness that just keeps on taking from skilled workers everywhere.

And people in IT laugh at ideas about unions...

djwaterman
04-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Guess it was just a matter of time for this feel-good globalization experiment to have it's effect on the VFX industry. Unfortunately, introducing unions now could actually quicken the process with even more work being shipped offshore. It's funny how these are exactly the sort of "smart" jobs that weren't meant to be exported to developing countries.
Perhaps if we all collectively lower our wages in the future then China and India might find it economically viable to bounce production our way. Crazy times.