PDA

View Full Version : Animation won't be still

goffj1
10-22-2003, 07:37 AM
When creating animations, simple ones - only four or five objects - no parenting or other influences I'm aware of, I have a recurring problem.

I start with a key frame of all objects in their initial position. Then move the first object to its new position and create a new key frame. Then I move the next object and creating a key frame, and so on.

When the animation is played or stepped through, the first object moves beyond it's key framed position but comes back to and rests in the desired position about the same time the second object reaches its final position.

Most of the time this happens with the first object only and is easily corrected by editing the graph to flatten out the dip, but sometime a cascade of all the objects takes place and nothing is where it's supposed to be until the last object comes to rest. When this happens editing the graph is not feasable.

Any ideas on how to stop this on the front end?

mrunion
10-22-2003, 08:01 AM
This is actually "normal". The objects are keyframed, and those frames have a "curve" (as you've seen in the graph). I believe this is called "overshoot" in most cases.

As far as turning this off automatically, I'm not sure. I think what you're after is a "linear" default for this (these) items, but I can't immediately think of a way to stop it by default.

Hmmmm

hrgiger
10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
You have to understand that between two keyframes by default, lightwave places a curve. Your object is acting normally, it's just following the curve and of course that curve comes back to normal at the keyframes. You have to go into the graph editor and adjust the tension to flatten out the curve. Just select the two keyframes between which your object is "floating" and bring the tension to 1 to flatten the curve.