PDA

View Full Version : Motion Builder & Lightwave Problem.

Philly85
03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Hey I'm using Motion Builder to get pre-made mo-cap anims onto my model (mainly because I don't know how to do it on lightwave)

The FBX animates perfectly in Motion Builder.

When I go to import items from scene and load up the FBX and click merge motions (cant remeber the name) it comes out with some horrible pulling and stretching of the character and the character does not move.

Trying to get it into LW because the animation needs to be used in Torque and I usually export to COLLADA.

Have uploaded screenshots and all the files, much appreciated if anyone can help.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance :)

Greenlaw
03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
For Lightwave it's best to first have the rigged character set up in Lightwave and then only import the motion data from Motion Builder to your Lightwave rig. This way, you can be sure the deformations will be what you expected, plus the shading properties will be exactly what you prepared Lightwave rendering.

To do this, you need to have rigs with matching hierarchies in LW and MB, and the easiest way to do this is to export your original rig from Lightwave to Motion Builder, retarget the motion in MB to your LW rig, and then export the FBX for Lightwave.

The next step is to open the original rig in Lightwave, use Load Items From Scene to open the FBX, and enable Merge Only Motion Envelopes. Be sure to select only the root object in item list. If the bones/joints heirarchies match up exactly, the motion data is transferred directly to the original rig. Save this scene as a copy so you don't lose your original 'clean' rig scene.

There are a few 'gotchas' to be aware of when using Joints which have been discussed elsewhere in these forums, and in MB you need to make sure you include only a single Take in the FBX file, otherwise LW may get confused and not load anything.

As long as you understand where the pifalls are, this procedure is quite reliable and painless.

Hope this is helpful.

G.

Philly85
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks mate I will keep you informed.

So annoying because i'm so close to pulling it off, if I can figure this out I will be so happy!

Maybe my rig is ****? Because your meant to place the character onto HIPS, and my HIPS ain't set up like they are in MB, in MB its as if the HIPS parent everything, but in my rig their just in the middle of the body and not attached to anything.

Seems as though the bones that aint being used from the MO-Cap just stay where they are maybe causing the error, maybe I should re-rig and re-weight map?

Yeah pretty much done what you said, been following a tutorial where some guy does it with a human bee character called "Beeman" don't know i fyour familiar with it? Seems like I have done all the things you said above but tragic error somewhere lol.

Posted picture of rig, ignore the missing foot bone and the hip being attached to the left leg, have fixed these and the problem still exists.

Also posted pic of Skelegon Tree :)

Philly85
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Think I may know the problem.

Does it matter if I am using LW 9.6 and the highest it will export FBX version is 2009? When Im using Motion Builder 2012?

Cageman
03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Think I may know the problem.

Does it matter if I am using LW 9.6 and the highest it will export FBX version is 2009? When Im using Motion Builder 2012?

Yes.

I had to convert MBuilder 2012 FBX files to 2009 versions for LW9.6. There is a pretty neato FBX converter tool you can download from Autodesk site, free of charge. :)

That said and done... We will revert back to MotionBuilder 2010 (which is also compatible with older versions of LW), because there is a bug in MotionBuilder regarding Aux Effectors that was introduced in MB2011 and still not fixed in MB2012. Trust me when I say that we had to come up with some extreme workarounds to avoid this bug.

Philly85
03-31-2012, 03:23 AM
Yes.

I had to convert MBuilder 2012 FBX files to 2009 versions for LW9.6. There is a pretty neato FBX converter tool you can download from Autodesk site, free of charge. :)

That said and done... We will revert back to MotionBuilder 2010 (which is also compatible with older versions of LW), because there is a bug in MotionBuilder regarding Aux Effectors that was introduced in MB2011 and still not fixed in MB2012. Trust me when I say that we had to come up with some extreme workarounds to avoid this bug.

lol are you the guy whos tutorial I am following? Says cageman in the title :D

I tried to convert the file but cant find the option for Motion Builder 2009 on there.

Philly85
03-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Thats works brilliant now, thank you so much :D

Except...when I put it back into LW, the figure end up with his legs above his head in an odd shape lmao, any ideas? Have the same problem when I do Control Rig or Skeleton.

stiff paper
03-31-2012, 05:23 AM
RebelHill's FBX tutorials might be of use, if you haven't already watched them:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC&feature=plcp

The Wizzard
05-23-2014, 11:26 AM
I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you :)

The Wizzard
05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
I've uploaded the next tutorial...
"Lightwave to MotionBuilder to ENDORPHIN and Back again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkDM-l38hM

Enjoy :)

tyrot
09-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Guys i have a problem -

When you have more than one characters - and they are interacting each other - what is the workflow for such setup?

When i have ONE character i use - load items from scene - and merge motion envelope workflow- ..

But when i have two characters

1- Will i export them separately from Layout? Character1.LWS (tpose) and Character2.LWS and merge these two characters in MotionBuilder - Characterize them and export them separately? or
2- I will export these two characters from same lightwave scene which is Characters.LWS and characterize them in MotionBuilder - apply animation and save ... then Loaditemsfrom scene while BOTH objects selected in Layout?

I mean how do you work on multicharacter setup?

Thanks

RebelHill
09-05-2014, 05:39 AM
LW is curious among apps in the way it handles bone names... You can have 2 different meshes, each with its bone hierarchy, with the hierarchies named the same, and get no name conflict... This is because behind the scenes the bone names are actually -- ItemName.BoneName

That doesnt translate so well to other apps though.

So for best results just individualise the names of the hierarchies, then you can have as many characters as you like, and back n forth no different to one.

tyrot
09-05-2014, 06:30 AM
So for best results just individualise the names of the hierarchies, then you can have as many characters as you like, and back n forth no different to one.

Where should individualise the names? In modeler? layout? or in MB before exporting back to LW? A bit confused - and thanks SO much for your reply..

RebelHill
09-05-2014, 06:51 AM
In layout... since its where you'll be exporting from and merging back to.

tyrot
09-05-2014, 07:03 AM
thanks rebel - you are awesome !

tyrot
09-05-2014, 07:47 AM
is there any plugin you guys use for renaming a hierarchy ? for example "hips" to "hipsX" , "spine2" to "spine2x" or any other way :) sorry - for being super dumb:(

Ok i did something a bit ok i guess.

1- I downloaded this http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/Bone_Skelegon/PPRenameSkelegons.html -
2- Renamed my skelegons - added character name X
3- In Layout - converted skelegons - arranged hips - and FBX export
4- MotionBuilder accepted that new bones and characterized it :) So basically as Rebel says - i have two different characters with two different bones names.. Cool to have GURUS in this forum.

RebelHill
09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Use the rename hierarchy tool.

tyrot
09-05-2014, 08:14 AM
aye sir!:)

Greenlaw
09-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah, what RH said.

When I was working on 'Happy Box', I didn't know that, and in scenes where I was working with up to three characters it initially cause some problems until I sorted this out. In MB, I relied on the native name spaces system to individualize each rig, which worked well but I had to be sure to strip out this data before exporting the FBX files for Lightwave. That's easy to do but it is extra work and one more thing to think about.

Since I'm using essentially the same rigs for 'B2', I've continuing with this workflow but, as RH explains, it might be easier and more effecient to individualize the rigs beforehand.

G.

Greenlaw
09-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Oh, and I export each character data individually from MB, and import the data individually to each rig in Lightwave. It might not be necessary to do only one character at a time, but IMO you're less likely to run into problems this way, and it will be easier to troubleshoot if something does go wrong.

G.

tyrot
09-05-2014, 11:03 AM
thanks greenlaw for the input... i ll be around this thread for sometime i guess;)