PDA

View Full Version : How to select objects in Layout

Hieron
03-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Got a bunch of objects semi overlapping here (mostly just bounding boxes overlapping), but can easily pinpoint correct polygons. They are nowhere close. Layout makes it insanely hard to select a bunch of those..

Really, really annoying.

Is there anything out there that can make Layout just select the object whose polygons you are clearly clicking?

safetyman
03-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Are the objects on separate layers? If so you can just click the little box next to the object drop down and open up a "layer panel" that shows all the object layers. Then you can easily select which one(s) you want.

rikka+
03-30-2012, 05:31 AM
With the latest version of Fprime if you click an object on the preview with the middle mouse (the scroll wheel) button that object will be selected .
Hope it helps

Hieron
03-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Are the objects on separate layers? If so you can just click the little box next to the object drop down and open up a "layer panel" that shows all the object layers. Then you can easily select which one(s) you want.

hmm, it's about 100+ clones of the same object, so the names make little sense. They are all in different states of morphing/movement etc... I just need to click a bunch to move them, which is painfull now.

With the latest version of Fprime if you click an object on the preview with the middle mouse (the scroll wheel) button that object will be selected .
Hope it helps

hmm.. interesting. Tried it with VPR, lacking Fprime, and that one seems to have the same issue as OpenGL.

lertola2
03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Lightwave has always had this problem. It can sometimes be nearly impossible to select things in the the 3d view if they are overlapping a lot. In that case you can select them in the scene editor or the schematic view.

BeeVee
03-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Or just use cursor up and down until the one you want highlights? If you have the Scene Editor open at the same time as you go through them you can click on the object name (using Ctrl after the first time) and save a set, so you can simply select the same objects again.

B

dwburman
03-31-2012, 06:38 PM
It might not help in your case, but you can Middle-Mouse Button Drag a selection box around your objects.

It you find yourself needing to make the same selection often, you can color code your objects in the scene editor or make a selection set there.

Mr Rid
03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
An inefficient pain. Useless in a scene like this.

There should be an option for 'bias foreground' selection, so the item closer to POV is selected when items are overlapped in view. And items should highlight as 'pre-selected' as the cursor passes over them, then you know exactly what you will get before you play the tedious game of clicking twenty times to see what you get and still not hooking the fish you're after.

Might help to create selection sets

Philbert
04-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I find it's easiest to just keep the Scene Editor (aka Classic Scene Editor) open all the time and do most of my selecting in there.

Mr Rid
04-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I do too, but slows down with many dozens or hundreds of items to scroll thru. Theres an annoying update glitch in 10.1 where the Current Item selected is not the same item showing as selected in the Editor, that really screws me up at times when clicking around fast. Have to keep clicking an extra time in the Editor to make sure I have the right thing selected.