PDA

View Full Version : Oh my... dongle!

lord
10-22-2003, 05:31 AM
It was perhaps, the most inspired two and a half hours animation I've done all day. Perhaps all week.

Blindly I've been hitting the save button without looking at the dialogue box which I have assumed is asking whether I want to save over the previously saved file or not, which I dismiss with the the Enter key in beautiful rythm to the blissful groove I've found myself in.

I am the character in this moment, we are one, connected in motion....

I glance up in a moments pause, contemplating where the character and I will go next, to discover I'm in Discovery Mode.

There is no dongle present...

"Oh dear....."

I wonder if there is a way of rectifying this problem....

I hopelessly insert the dongle back where it should be and ernestly (foolishly) glance, ever the hopeful idiot, at the screen, patiently waiting, perhaps LightWave will kindly recognise the simple mistake I've made and make everything alright.

:(

There is a moral to this story,

BeeVee
10-22-2003, 06:00 AM
There is a 400 point limit on models saved with the Discovery edition. You could recover by splitting your model into elements that were no more than 400 points each and saving each as a new object, closing LightWave, Modeler and Hub, making sure your dongle is in place this time, loading them back up and then putting together your character jigsaw in Modeler again...

If it's any consolation, usually the second time I build something it is better and faster to be made... :)

B

hrgiger
10-22-2003, 06:01 AM
My dongle is also on it's way out. I was having a problem with Sasquatch not being able to start. Turns out, the problem is, my dongle is feeding back two different machine ID's and that makes my sasquatch code useless, although sometimes it works. This is after spending much time on the phone with Newtek and Worley.

Turns out I can either A) send Newtek my dongle, have them fix it and have me be without Lightwave while they do, which I don't want..B) upgrade to the USB dongle but also sending them my dongle first and be without Lightwave until they send the new dongle or C) wait until I upgrade to 8 and ask for the usb dongle upgrade which I was told may be no charge for if I do it at the time of upgrading my Lightwave.

Any way you slice it, I'm going to be without Lightwave until I get my new dongle which I'm not happy about. But just wanted to let you know, those may be your options lord.

lord
10-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Would be nice if it was a model Beevee, but it's animation in Layout that I'm about to loose.

As far as a dodgy dongle goes, I can't even use that as an excuse, it's my own stupid fault, the thing wasn't plugged in, when I last rebooted LightWave.

I've made a preview render which I figure I can use as reference to reanimate
what i've done, it's something at least.

I was really enjoying myself.

I hate dongles.

:mad:

Take head LightWavers, dongles are an unforgiving breed.

Think I'll go and take it out on a kitten or something.

BeeVee
10-22-2003, 06:17 AM
Ah. More tricky then. You can save envelopes in the DE, but you'll probably end up with a whole lot...

B

lord
10-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Yeah that had passed briefly through my mind as well...

could end up with a bit of a mess though.

Just starting it again now.

Would be nice if you were able to rescue a situation like this by simply sticking the dongle back in and somehow reinitialising it without closing lightwave.

meshmaster
10-22-2003, 08:01 AM
there may be a way. On numerous occasions, I've gone to open more than one file at a time within windows, and low and behold, modeller opens up more than one instance. Perhaps you could insert dongle, hopefully figure out a way of opening more than one instance (maybe select several .lwo and .lws files, right click and open? sometimes it works sometimes not... ) then copy and paste from the no save instance in to the ok instance... I have not tried this, but think it MAY work.