PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy trix to mask edge of 'world'

jeric_synergy
03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm working on something that is 'outside', in a woodland, and am soliciting tips and tricks to mask the immediate border of the animation space and make it seem more detailed and expansive than it really is.

For example, I used to throw a totally rubbish ring of 2D flat mountains around scenes to give it some depth. Like that.

Suggestions?

Philbert
03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Well one thing that could help a bit is using fog so you don't see a harsh edge.

jeric_synergy
03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes, but I'm hoping to create more of an illusion of far reaches than a default curtain. Like some cheezy theater trick. >8^D

Darth Mole
03-31-2012, 04:53 AM
Use flat images from photos or renders, but have them in several layers (or concentric rings centred on the camera), so distant mountains are further away in the scene. This would work well with a bit of fog too, to create the effect of distance. You could do the same with some trees as 2D placards to populate the middle distance. You'll get some slight parallax which will be enough to sell the scene. The more layers the better I reckon.

jeric_synergy
03-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Ohhh, good idea. Coupled with Philbert's fog at less than 100%, that could be good.

I really liked the 'aerial perspective', ie haze, used in JJ Abrams "Star Trek". I bet some of the megastructures glimpsed in the distance were just flats. My thing is more cartoonish, so even simpler.

Darth Mole
03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
The opening scene in Bladerunner was just loads of etched copper sheets with fibre optics to replicate the LA skyline. If it's good enough for Douglas Trumbull... :-)