PDA

View Full Version : How to select surfaces by name

treddie
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Howdie.
This is a rather newbie question..Is there a way to select all of the polys that use the same surface name? I have all my objects on one layer and need to select only the ones I need to select. Select connected is not an option as some objects simply aren't all one piece, but the pieces do share the same surface name.

Thanks for any help!

jeric_synergy
03-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Hit "W" for the Statistics panel. Get in Poly mode. Select by Surface.

Baba
03-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Press W to bring up polygonstatistics panel select your surface.

jeric_synergy
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Just to be clear for the noobs, the "W" toggles the Statistics panel, which does duty for Points, Edges, and Polys all.

BTW, you can also group polygon sets into "Parts", which can include polys of different Surfaces. Unlike Point Select Sets, Parts cannot overlap-- i.e. a point can be in many different Selection Sets, but a poly can only be in ONE Part.

Oedo 808
03-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Select a polygon with the surface you're after and use Select Entire Surf. I use it a lot and have added a button for it on the bottom edge. Bizzarely I have a shortcut assigned for it but I rarely seem to use it :twak:

colkai
03-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Well add a thwack for me 'cause I did the same :p

treddie
03-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Select a polygon with the surface you're after and use Select Entire Surf.

DAMN! I was looking all OVER for something like that. I must have gone through the Selection tab buttons a zillion times, and it was right in front of me. Many thanks.

Hit "W" for the Statistics panel. Get in Poly mode. Select by Surface.

When I would go there in Modeler, I could select a surface name, but nothing would happen. Now I see that you use the +- buttons to select/deselct.

Two ways now to do it.

Thanks everybody for your help.

jeric_synergy
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Select a polygon with the surface you're after and use Select Entire Surf. I use it a lot and have added a button for it on the bottom edge. Bizzarely I have a shortcut assigned for it but I rarely seem to use it :twak:
Good idea: I used ALT+Q, on the association with Q.

Never used Select Entire Surface! (All this time, never really missed it.) What happens if more than one Surface is selected?

Oedo 808
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Well add a thwack for me 'cause I did the same :p
Certainly Sir: Oedo ---> :twak: <--- colkai :D

DAMN! I was looking all OVER for something like that. I must have gone through the Selection tab buttons a zillion times, and it was right in front of me. Many thanks.

You're welcome :)

Good idea: I used ALT+Q, on the association with Q.

Never used Select Entire Surface! (All this time, never really missed it.) What happens if more than one Surface is selected?

It will highlight all surfaces that have at least one poly belonging to them already selected.

jeric_synergy
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
It will highlight all surfaces that have at least one poly belonging to them already selected.

OK. ::mulls:: "Select Entire Surface". meh. A better name for the button (which, for noobs, can be different than the actual function) might be "Select Selected Surfaces", which however would run off the button.

Maybe "Sel Sel'd Surfaces" would fit. :D

Oh, here we go (pic). :D