PDA

View Full Version : dress animation for girl rig

mdharman
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Attached is a model and rig of a girl in a dress. I would like to be able to move her legs and have the dress move naturally. I ended up cloning the leg bones, shortening their rest position, and assigning them a weight map for the dress. I left them visible but hid the leg bones in the attachment.

I don't think I want to mess with cloth effects. I don't really like the joint morph either. However, I am not very satisfied with the current rig. It will probably work because she is a minor character. It would just be cool to get this to work better.

If anyone wants to download my attachment and try it out, I would appreciate any advice.

Kryslin
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
While I realize IKBoost is not liked, it does have one feature that may help - Bone Dynamics. One problem I forsee would actually be havnig a collision hull under the dress for the bones controlling the dress to interact with, and then tweaking the radii of the the bones to make sure things stay stable.

And you'll need bones for the dress. perhaps 8 chains of 4 bones each...

Proton has a video out there - someplace - on the topic.

Steve

Surrealist.
04-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I would not even consider character animating in LightWave without IKBoost. It gets a bad name only because some people have insisted on using it exclusively. It can be used that way. But it can also be used as along with standard IK.The comparisons are usually, IKBoost as a total solution against standard rigging.

I rig my characters for ease of control with intuitive grab and dragg manipulation. It is the best way to animate in my opinion.

And IKboost actually contains many tools you need when animating such as storing and reusing poses to name just two.

Regarding the dress, bone dynamics sounds interesting.