PDA

View Full Version : Render instanced geo versus simple polys

madno
03-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I am lost with rendering a floor, made of instanced tiles compared to just a few polys with a bump and checkerboard applied.

Wanted to try out lighting and surfacing of brushed metal.
Made a light test room etc. etc. (thanks to the forum found info about conservation of energy).

Question is:
When making the floor out of some polys of the surrounding room (gave it a surface with bump and checkerboard nodes), I get a nice fast test render in about a minute with a smooth shadow.
When making the floor out of one real geometry tile that is then instanced in Layout, the shadow is of much less quality even though the render settings are the same.

What do I do wrong this time? Thanks for any input.

(made in LW11 with DP Flood Light).

wrench
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I would have thought that if the tiles were instanced there would be far fewer polygons in the scene. Are you sure you don't still have the original geometry in there too?

B

madno
03-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Yes, the original polys are still there. In the "real tile" scene I use it as the mortar. Just moved the tiles a little bit into the floor geo.
In that new example below I disabled the instances and used clones of the one real tile instead. With this setup the shadows seem to be ok again. Right now, I am running out of ideas. Don't know what else I can check. There must be something wrong with my instanced scene but can't find it.

madno
03-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Ok, got one more idea that finally solved it.
The render issue is caused by the placement of the tile source geo.

Is this the expected behaviour?

raw-m
03-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Yes, that's normal, you have to hide the geometry that's being instanced so it doesn't render (you only want the instances!).

madno
03-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Ok.