PDA

View Full Version : Instance of Instanced Objects?

SteveH
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe I'm just dense. Well ok...I am definately dense but trying to get an instance of an instanced object. I have a tree object, that has a point cloud that has a leaf object instanced onto it. The point cloud is the child of the tree object. I have points sprayed on a ground plane and I figured if I instanced the tree limbs, than the point cloud - and thus the leaves should be copied right? Nope....

With HD instance, this absolutely worked this way. I could load from scene my hd instanced tree object and could then hd instance that to my points on my ground surface - and I'd end up with 20 trees with thousands of leaves.

I can't figure out how to achieve this in LW11.

And....one more question while I'm at it. If I have 2 leaf objects, and I pick my point cloud and go to instance, and add an object that is leaf 1, set up the scale and rotation etc - surely there's a way to copy all of that and just change the obect to leaf 2 right? Like right click on leaf one object and copy. But no.....tell me what I'm missing here.

SteveH
03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
After rereading my question it seems a little unclear even to me....
So - let me try a simpler example. Say I have a hand objects and I have a finger object. I take my hand object and instance 5 of the finger objects onto it. Now I load a person who has two arms and I want to instance the hand object - which includes the fingers. How to do it? Tell me how to get the finger - now that just sounds wrong.... :D

adk
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
As far as I know you can't do this with LW 11's native instances - yet.
You can however grab Denis's DP Instancer plugin for 11 as it has the "Include Instances" option :thumbsup: