PDA

View Full Version : LW 11 instancing question

jdomingo
03-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Hi all,

Does the instancing in LW11 only works in layout? does it have something in modeler, where you modify the main object and updates the instanced object? i think that was feature in CORE, but did it implemented in LW11?

thanks.

Cageman
03-28-2012, 02:30 AM
If you update the object you use as the source for the instances, those instances will be updated.

Lewis
03-28-2012, 03:02 AM
It's Layout only instances i.e you can't model with instancing. So yes it's different than in CORE. so this is not really CORE stuff it's brand new code for layout instancing but it's very very good first iteration.

There is some tricks/workarounds/workflows how you can do it in layout and then bake instances and save transformed to make it be real geometry model but it's not so easy as having modeling instancing.

jdomingo
03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
thanks guys,

my main work is archviz and mostly use repeating objects. yup i can have one main object and update that in layout but moving thing inside layout (without snapping tools) is a pain for me. it would be nice if NT have that function in modeler. do you know any plugin with that function?

dwburman
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Make a separate layer/object that is points or polys. Use that to place the instances in Layout.

It might not work in all cases, but it might get you the results you need.

jdomingo
03-30-2012, 01:40 AM
@dwburman,
thanks, that's a good trick, will give it a try.

i am thinking more of "component" tool like in sketchup.