PDA

View Full Version : Creating a flurescent light

Samoht VII
03-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Ok so basically I have a thin cylinder that has some evenly space out points all through it.
I want to convert all the points into point lights to make a fluorescent light. That's how i would do it anyway. Let me know if there is a better way.

SO the basic question, how do i convert points into lights?

Thanks

dwburman
03-28-2012, 12:03 AM
If your light is just a tube, I think that's what the linear light was made for.

If your light is a different shape, you could use the DP_Light that makes a light based on geometry, so you could have a light the shape of your bulb.

To answer your question directly, In Modeler, select your points. Hit shift-E for the extrusion tool and drag in any direction, then delete the new set of points you just made. This should have turned your points into one-point polygons. Now that you have polygons, you can add luxigons to them which, when converted in the Add>Lights part of Layout, will make a light for each polygon.

I have a free tutorial on the Luxigons part of this process: http://youtu.be/rfwgjN1Tl7w

kopperdrake
03-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Depending on the surrounding geometry, you could also use a resized area light - that will give softer shadows than the linear light in both directions. Or you could just make the light surface luminous, 500% ish, and use global illumination and let it light the scene itself, though this is a grunt way of doing it with no finesse. Personally I would use the area light method.

Surrealist.
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
A luminous surface rendered with Radiosity will also cast light similar to a neon light. That with some glow effect would do well to simulate the effect. Just another approach. :)