PDA

View Full Version : ResulTV

hughdemand
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi
I will be broadcasting a rather large Track Meet. Their Timing/results computer uses ResulTV as the software to generate graphics for the announcers.

I would like to know if anyone has used this software in connection with a Tricaster and what would be the best method for accessing it. naively I am thinking iVGA.

Below is a sample of what I would like, the large grphic, not the lower third.

Thanks

Whit
http://hughdemand.com/Screen shot 2012-03-09 at 7.37.34 AM.png

Lee-AVP
03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey Hugh,

Do you know if the software outputs in any kind of serial, IP, or file format?

There are several projects among several users to get more scoring info in to LiveText; maybe depending on your needs, we could try to consolidate efforts in to some kind of parsing / helper application.

hughdemand
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
ResulTV appears to already have accpted the dat from scoring programs such as HyTek. It suggests using a scanconverter to output the VGA graphic. I was thinking iVGA would negate the need for a scanconverter. Here's a blurb from their website.

ResulTV™ is a user configurable Windows data display program from the makers of FinishLynx®. It will display results instantaneously from a variety of sources: FinishLynx®, Hy-Tek MEET MANAGER, etc..

When the computer running ResulTV™ is connected to a Scan Converter, the graphics produced are suitable for broadcast or local display.

Lee-AVP
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I don't see why that wouldn't work. You could key out the background, or design a background that you like for a box-over effect. The semi-transparency thing probably isn't going to happen by pulling something in from iVGA.

hughdemand
03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks Lee

I have a request into ResulTV to see if they have had clients using Tricasters. I note one option in their software is a transparent background. Would be nice if that would work over the iVGA connection and even better if it is scalable. Will keep you posted.
Hugh/Whit

PIZAZZ
03-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks Lee

I have a request into ResulTV to see if they have had clients using Tricasters. I note one option in their software is a transparent background. Would be nice if that would work over the iVGA connection and even better if it is scalable. Will keep you posted.
Hugh/Whit

In order to get Alpha or Transparency over iVGA the software would have to use the SDK available from NewTek. If they aren't doing some crazy OpenGL kind of rendering and are using the standard DirectX method to generate their display, they should be able to tie into the iVGA pipeline.

Personally I would ask them or the scoreboard provider to allow you serial or XML access.

Do you know who the Scoreboard manufacturer is? If they are using one.
Have you contacted the stats company to see if they have a XML interface you could hook into?

hughdemand
03-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Jef
Thanks for the reply. The support offered here by you experts is amazing. The ResulTV website says, among aother things:

...In fact, ResulTV™ can be configured to operate with practically any sport which can send a digital data stream to a scoreboard.

Major Clients using this technology include:

Millrose Games at Madison Square Gardens
USATF National Championships (Indoor and Outdoor)
CIS system Penn Relays
Louisiana State University
World Championships ShortTrack Speedskating

Ours is a track meet (rather large) but no scoreboard. The ResulTV graphic currently will only be displayed on a laptop monitor for the announcers to read from.

I am pretty naive about the process, only previously employed iVGA fro some of my external stuff. Don't think we could take advantage of other data, as I don't have LiveText and I don't think the other partner on the project does either. Actully just going over to his shop this week to unpack his new Tricaster, a 450 I believe but don't think he purchased an auxiliary equipment.

Our meet is not til June 7-8-9 so maybe I will see if I can test at meet prior to then. I don't presume there is anyway of testing iVGA without actually taking my TC to his venue?

Thanks again

Hugh/Whit

PIZAZZ
03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I just looked at the ResulTV website. So the venue is most likely using www.finishlynx.com gear? You need to talk to finishlynx and find out if they have a way to access their generated stats via XML or Serial.

You will need a copy of LiveText. Or you will have to be happy with a nontransparent background and resize the graphic with the VirtualInput controls on the 450.

BTW There is no testing of iVGA without a TriCaster there.

hughdemand
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Jef

Dem de guys allright. Now I am really hoping the other partner on the project bought Live Text. I want the graphic semi transparent!

Thanks a ton

Hugh/Whit

I am sorta suprised that FinishLynx has no customers that have used or accessed Tricasters.

I am trying to keep folks off the network at the venue so I can stream HD.

revotsnod
03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Used it myself at small college in Ohio last year for D3 Championships. ResultTV output fed to TC via Composite on RG6. IVGA would work too. No worries.

hughdemand
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi revotsnod

That is very encouraging!

The timing crew (and thus FinishLynx/resulTV) will likely be inside the track, while my Tricaster will be up in the press box. Even if thy are outside the track they will still be a fair distance from me.

Did you use a Scanconverter to modify the output of the ResulTV ? If need be (and possible) I could use a scanconverter and coax to get graphic up to the TC for a video source in. I am planning on a three camera shoot, so with this source it will force me to utilize the TC 450 rather than my Studio, which is not all bad.

If I put the laptop (which FinishLynx outputs the graphic to for the starters) on my network, I could use iVGA without any extra cabling.

We will be covering one track meet at which FinishLynx will be doing the timing before our big event (2500 athletes).

Thanks for the information.

Hugh/Whit

hughdemand
03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I downloaded a demo copy of ResulTV and can generate a screen. I will bring the TC home and test it early next week. A couple of questions though;

1. Can I use LiveMatte to key out the background of the iVGA feed ?

2. It would appear as though ResulTV only produces solid backgrounds, if I make it green (for keying purposes) can I somehow adjust the amount of keying in LiveMatte ?

I suppose I can always play with this possibility next week, but as usual, I like to know now.

Thanks

Whit

hughdemand
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
RTFM... and I did! It says, yes, you can use LiveMatte with the iVGA input. Now I am getting aomewhere. Will test for finetuning to see if I cana djust the amount of keying and get a bit of the background thru to frame the data.

Thanks

Hugh/Whit

hughdemand
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I did in fact, using a demo copy of the ResulTV software, bring in the graphic via iVGA.

1. I had to put my video on the Effects row and the iVGA on the LIVE row to have it overlay. IS this the correct procedure ?

2. Is there a technique for effecting the transparency % of the LIveMatte ? In ResulTV I can set the background color to any standard color. I would like to key out 80% or 90% of that background but not all, if possible. Otherwise with it all keyed out, I am limited to the color selections of the text to overlay, it would have to be dark color.

Thanks

Hugh/Whit

Lee-AVP
04-05-2012, 01:26 PM
If you make your overlay semi-transparent, the ENTIRE overlay will be semi-transparent, including the text. But as I recall, there is a "blend" knob (or something like that) in the LiveMatte settings that would make your source more transparent.

You can't get alpha over iVGA, as has been said a few times.

Which Tricaster are you using? (Putting it in your signature would be helpful.) I assume you're on an SD tricaster without virtual inputs, based on your note about FX row / live row. Yes, that is how it's done when you want to key something over another source on the SD tricasters. It works well, because you leave your background video parked on FX, and then any time you take your overlay source (iVGA in this case) it's all set up and ready to go.

Lee-AVP
04-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey... does it have to be a background color? Or can you specify a background image? If so, there's always halftone.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103241&stc=1&d=1333655305

hughdemand
04-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Here is what I have accomplished so far, employing iVGA on my Studio. Still have to fine tune the color combinations.

Will also see if I can generate the suggested halftone as a background to the text.

http://hughdemand.com/ResulTV3.png

Lee-AVP
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm glad you're getting it working! All of us who do sports search for e best way to get scoring data on e screen.